These mini French Silk Pies are to die for, and adorable as a mason jar pie! Use good quality chocolate for this French silk pie recipe!
Dish Count:: 1 Sauce Pan, 1 Stand Mixer, 1 Mixing Bowl, 6-8 Mini Mason Jar, blow torch (optional)
I’m a 90’s kid through and through – and it is totally backed up and evidenced by my mastery of Tetris. My grandparents got Nintendo when they first came on the scene, and it still to this day is my favorite gaming machine. My grandma and I would spend hours playing Tetris and Super Mario Brothers. I’m a girl that is a sucker for the classics. All those years of practice were put to good use this weekend and last night after our chest freezer decided it was le tired and took a complete and utter crap on us. Thankfully we were able to save about 60% of our meats and foods from it.
But trying to Miyagi 100 pounds of food into two chest freezers and top them with dry ice all before coffee on a Sunday morning? Well, I’m glad for all those years of Tetris, because I got all of it tightly packed, chilled down and fit into two cools with dry ice in record time. And, all before coffee! I have to emphasize that twice.
I’ve been testing out recipes for a pie I’m making for a coworker and a French Silk Pie from his childhood memories was what he was going for. The guys at work all loved this recipe and these super decadent mini french silk pies.
They were gone in a flash. But that’s about par for the course any time I bring anything to them! And that’s fine by me, seeing desserts disappear is the best compliment in the world!
More Inspired Mini Mason Jar Pie Recipes
No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake with Biscoff Crust
Irish Cream and Chocolate Silk Pie
25 Amazing No Bake Desserts in Jars
Mini Chocolate French Silk Pies
If you are a chocolate lover, these mini French Silk Pies are to die for! Using good quality chocolate is key to this rich decadent treat. And the toasted meringue marshmallow topping will blow you away!
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Chill Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 5 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 mini pies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
For the French Silk Pie
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 4 ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 1 stick (8 Tbsp) butter, cut into chunks and at room temperature
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
French Silk Pie:
- Whip the heavy cream in the stand mixer until stiff peaks form. Pour into a small bowl and place in the fridge until the next steps.
- Set up a mock double boiler with a small saucepan with a little water in the bottom, and place the mixer’s bowl over the top. In the bowl combine the eggs, sugar and water. With the water simmering, stir the mixture until it reaches 160 degrees with an instant read thermometer.
- Remove from the mixer’s bowl from the double boiler and place on the stand mixer. Beat until egg mixture until it is room temperature and the bowl is no longer hot to the touch – about 8 minutes.
- Add the chocolate and vanilla to the mixture and beat to combine. Then, add in the butter one piece at a time and mix to combine and all the butter is melted.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer, and use a spatula to fold in the whipped cream. Fold until there are no longer white streaks of whipped cream that remain.
- Pour the mixture into 6-8 mini mason jars and place in the fridge to set for at least four hours.
- In a stand mixer bowl, whisk together the egg whites and sugar.
- Place the stand mixer bowl over a small saucepan with about a half inch of water in the bottom.
- Bring the water to a simmer and continually whisk the eggs whites and sugar over the double boiler until the the mixture is smooth and you can’t feel any of the sugar granules in the mixture any longer.
- Remove it from the double boiler and place the bowl back on the stand mixer, and fit the mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk the egg whites and sugar mixture until it is cooled and the bowl of the mixer is no longer hot and stiff peaks for in the meringue. This takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Once the French Silk Pies are chilled in the fridge, top them each with meringue.
- If you have a kitchen blow torch available torch the top of the meringue for the toasted finish. This is not necessary, but it does look cool. The meringue is lovely without toasting.