Cookin' My Way Back to the Country

Earl Grey Cake with Vanilla Bean Buttercream

Celebrate any occasion with this Earl Grey Cake for two. Especially when it’s covered in light and airy vanilla bean buttercream and filled with zesty lemon curd!

Dish Count :: 1 Mixer, 1 Mixing Bowl, 1 6-inch Cake Pan Earl Grey Cake with Vanilla Bean Buttercream -

The secret is, I used to teach cake decorating. It was how I saved up money to pay for my own wedding, and it gave me great joy – along with a lot of added stress, when I would run home to walk the dog after a long day, just to pack up my car, mixer and everything else to teach evening lessons at my local crafts store. I took pride in, loved it, didn’t mind smelling sickly sweet as frosting, or having fifteen batches of containers of frosting in my fridge at home. But after a while, it was almost a chore and I wondered if I would ever do it again for fun. Earl Grey Cake with Vanilla Bean Buttercream -

With the upheaval of every week casting me into the weekend, making me wash into a Saturday morning like I’ve just washed ashore from a ship wreck I realized I needed to find the time to go back to doing the things I loved doing for the sake of just doing them because I loved them. It doesn’t happen often enough anymore and we are all the poorer for it.

Spring is in bloom, as is something else very special that we are here to celebrate – and it was the perfect time for me to dust of my spatulas, and get back into my cake decorator mode, as it had indeed been far to long, to celebrate someone and and impending someone’s very special imminent arrival. Earl Grey Cake with Vanilla Bean Buttercream -

Christina, of Dessert for Two, and her husband will be welcoming a darling addition to their family, to accompany the two others of the four legged variety, and we (her blogging friends) couldn’t be more pleased to share with you this surprise virtual baby shower!

Earl Grey Cake with Vanilla Bean Buttercream - www.countrycleaver.comI’ve known Christina for nearly four years now – having met through our blogs, bonded over our mutual love of wheat, and the men (and women) who grow it, study it and thrive on it – herself included! – and of course our love of whiskey, and carbs. I couldn’t think of a more fitting baked tribute to a woman bringing in a new chapter to her life story.

Christina, we are so excited to see the new chapters unfold and welcome your new bundle of joy into this world. Congratulations again and again!

We hope this was a bit of a surprise – because 19 bloggers who live their lives on the internet managing to keep a secret is a feat in itself! Go us!

Earl Grey Cake with Vanilla Bean Buttercream -

Gather all of these other creations to help us celebrate in style!

Fizzy Grapefruit Margaritas from Well Plated

Vanilla Bean Buttercream

• 1 1/2 cups Unsalted Butter, room temperature
  • 3 cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extra
  • 1/2 Vanilla Bean, scraped of seeds
  • Pinch of Salt

• 1/2 cup Lemon Curd (jarred, can be found in jam aisle)

For Cake:

• Preheat oven to 350. Prepare a six inch cake pan, and line with parchment paper. In mixing bowl, slowly together flour and cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  • In a cup steep the heated milk with the earl grey tea bags to infuse the flavors. When steeped, discard the tea bags.  To the steeped milk, add in the vanilla extract.
  • In the bowl of the stand mixer, beat to combine the sugar and butter. Beat until light and fluffy, about one minute. If the butter is cool, this will take longer. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well.
  • Add in the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk, mixing at a low speed.  Scrape the bowl and mix until everything is just combined.
  • Let the batter rest for about 15 minutes prior to putting into the cake pans.
  • Fill the cake pan 2/3 of the way. Level with an offset spatula. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Check at 25 minutes.
  • Let the cake rest in the pan for 5 minutes, before removing from pan and letting cool on wire rack.
  • Prepare second layer and bake remaining cake.

For Vanilla Bean Buttercream:

• In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until light and fluffy, and slapping the sides of the mixer.
  • Add one cup of sugar at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl if necessary. When all the sugar is added in, be sure to add in the vanilla and salt.
  • Beat the frosting on medium high for about five minutes until light and fluffy. The frosting will increase in volume and become airy.
  • Use on cake when the cake cools completely.

To assemble cake:

• Outfit a piping back with a round piping tip (#12).
  • Level cake layers. Set one cake layer on cake stand.
  • Pipe a ring around the top edge of cake layer. Fill ring with lemon curd. Set other leveled cake layer on top.
  • Top cake with remaining Frosting and smooth frosting over the rest of the cake. Pipe rings around the top and bottom edge of the cake. Pipe a ring around the top of the cake, and fill with any remaining lemon curd.
  • Slice cake and eat.

31 Responses to “Earl Grey Cake with Vanilla Bean Buttercream”

Rachel Cooks — April 14, 2015 @ 4:32 am

What a classy girl of a cake! Perfect for a baby shower!

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — April 14, 2015 @ 5:02 am

What an elegent cake!

DessertForTwo — April 14, 2015 @ 5:31 am

Megan! What are you girls up to?! Omg thank you SO much! For your sweet words, and this cake! It’s my dream cake! You know I love Earl Grey, and mini cakes! Love ya!

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — April 14, 2015 @ 6:19 am

GURL! This is fabulous. So classy. What a perfect way to celebrate Christina and her new addition! Glad you dusted off the spatula’s for this one!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan — April 14, 2015 @ 6:19 am

This is so so gorgeous! As a baker, I’ve always struggled with decorating cakes, so I’ll trade you some blondies for cake decorating lessons, deal? 🙂

lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — April 14, 2015 @ 6:28 am

All day I dream about cake, especially when buttercream is involved! So pretty!

Phi @ The Sweetphi Blog — April 14, 2015 @ 6:33 am

Wow, this cake is absolutely beautiful, I love that you shared how you used to do cake decorating classes…it clearly shows in that frosted cake perfection! Love the flavor combination you made too! I’m going to a tea themed party next month and am totally going to be making this!

Annie @ Annie's Noms — April 14, 2015 @ 7:15 am

Oh wow, this cake is just stunning!!! I can imagine that doing this all day every day would become a chore, I get fed up when I have to make some great big birthday creation (usually for my brother) it just takes so long. But yay for this cake, it’s beautiful! Doing the odd cake decorating can be fun!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — April 14, 2015 @ 7:53 am

This cake is just so beautiful! Not surprising that you used to teach decorating. Would love a lesson;-)

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — April 14, 2015 @ 8:23 am

Oh the things I’d do for a HUGE slice of this cake right now! Looks AMAZING, Megan!!

Medha @ Whisk & Shout — April 14, 2015 @ 10:43 am

Lovely presentation! Your cake decorating skills are insane 🙂 Love the lemon curd, too and all the pretty pastel colors in your photos.

Lynn @ Order n the Kitchen — April 14, 2015 @ 10:52 am

This cake is positively darling!  Amazing flavors and such an adorable size! Loved doing this virtual shower!

Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats — April 14, 2015 @ 1:01 pm

Such a gorgeous cake and absolutely perfect for a shower Megan! I kinda wish we had this shower in person so I could chow down on this cake!

Carol at Wild Goose Mama — April 14, 2015 @ 3:02 pm

What a glorious looking cake. I have never made a cake anywhere near as beautiful. I love the Earl Grey ingredient. Again gorgeous cake!!!!

I don’t normally talk about ME, but please make note of the slight name change from Wild Goose Tea. New web design—whoopee and am new features along the way.

Allison - Celebrating Sweets — April 14, 2015 @ 3:32 pm

This cake is beautiful, and it looks so delicious. I’d much prefer to consume my afternoon tea in cake form. Love it!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 14, 2015 @ 4:35 pm

This is such a stunner!! Totally crushing on this flavour combo!

Audra - The Baker Chick — April 14, 2015 @ 6:31 pm

Stunning photos of an absolutely stunning cake!

Annalise @ Completely Delicious — April 14, 2015 @ 8:03 pm

Such a gorgeous cake! You still got it, girl! 🙂

Lynn — April 15, 2015 @ 3:14 am

I can’t think of a better cake.  Earl Grey tea, lemon curd, and cake rolled into one.  Wow!  I am new to baking I have a question, at the bottom of the cake part it says to prepare 2nd layer and bake so will I need to make the cake recipe twice for this?  Thanks for your help.

Lauren Gaskill — April 15, 2015 @ 8:14 am

You had me at lemon curd! This cake is absolutely delicious. Can’t wait to enjoy it with a large steaming mug of tea.

Erin@WellPlated — April 15, 2015 @ 3:35 pm

Such a beautiful and important point about doing the things we love, just for the sake of them! This cake is lovely, and I want that buttercream on everything.

Joanne Bruno — April 16, 2015 @ 4:05 pm

How lovely is this cake! I think it fits Christina’s adorable self to a tee. Also, what a great idea for raising money for your wedding…I wish I had thought of that!

kelley {mountain mama cooks} — April 16, 2015 @ 7:14 pm

I’m pretty obsessed with anything Earl Grey + dessert. This cake is so cute (and who knew you decorated them and taught classes!!!) and I want a slice right now. I’m almost tempted to have another kid in the hopes you’ll make this for me. Almost.

Bri | Bites of Bri — April 20, 2015 @ 4:32 pm

This cake is gorgeous! I’m making it for our next special occasion!

Rachel — August 7, 2015 @ 9:30 pm

I just took these out of the oven and they taste wonderful! The only trouble I had was it took almost an hour for the cake to fully bake in the oven!! I got very worried, and the top came out very burnt, but in the end, the cake was delicious, and seeing as I chopped off the top anyway, it didn’t really matter. Thanks for the great recipe! x

Penny — August 13, 2015 @ 2:34 am

Great News and Great Cake.  Shall be attempting the cake this weekend.  But you mention both butter AND shortening in the instructions for the frosting, but not in the ingredients list.  I’m going to assume that it’s butter only, unless I hear otherwise (or until I discover that there’s something missing, when I make the icing!!).

All best wishes,

Penny from Oxford

• Megan replied: — August 16th, 2015 @ 8:22 pm

Penny, I forgot to mention in my last comment reply – please send photos of the finished cake!! I hope it turned out lovely!! Best, Megan 🙂

Penny — August 13, 2015 @ 2:53 am

Please ignore my comment about the shortening – getting my recipes mixed up!!  (This is one of TWO cakes I’m making this weekend!)

• Megan replied: — August 16th, 2015 @ 8:21 pm

Not a worry, Penny!! I hope this cake turned out well for you!!

Ailina — September 19, 2015 @ 8:58 am

Hi Megan,

I’m trying to bake a bigger cake out of this recipe. Would you be able to advise how to go about adjusting the amount of ingredients, temperature and the time taken to bake please? I’m trying to do a 2 layer 9″ cake.

Catherine — August 6, 2016 @ 6:50 am

This is my family’s new favourite dessert! I cook this on a BBQ with a hood and serve it hot with cream and ice cream. The BBQ makes the edges so crispy and delicious 🙂 we found this after a power outage one night and the BBQ was the only way we had to finish cooking the cake!