Cookin' My Way Back to the Country

Toasted Coconut Buttermilk Waffles

Dish Count :: 2 Bowls, 1 Waffle Iron

Toasted Coconut Buttermilk Waffles - www.countrycleaver.com

Whew, it’s official and I can finally spill the beans – Ben landed one of two medical/surgical residencies at a local hospital. It’s been seven months in the making and this is the best news we could have received before we kick off Love Fest Weekend 2015. His night shift rotations are nothing new, and even with this new job, we know they aren’t going anywhere any time soon – but the idea that we will actually get to spend more predictable weekends together is absolutely a welcomed thought to both of us.

Toasted Coconut Buttermilk Waffle - www.countrycleaver.com

Saturday mornings have become our routine date “night”, and where we would either go out for breakfast at the local cafe like the two old people we are, sitting at our usual table and order the same thing off the menu, or staying in and making breakfast as we watched the latest episodes of This Old House on PBS. You think I’m kidding…

Toasted Coconut Buttermilk Waffle - www.countrycleaver.com

But when we stay in we switch it up from time to time, and after coming home from vacation I went on a massive coconut binge – giving us these toasted coconut buttermilk waffles. So, this Valentine’s Day weekend, this is what we will be having on his last weekend of freedom before the new job starts.  One big hurrah for this new adventure and the love that got us this far. I know, barf. The love part – not the waffles part. These waffles – to die for.

If you’re feeling all lovie dovie but are still trying to plan a Valentine’s Day Menu, look no further!

Almond Sugar Hearts – Hola Jalapeno

2 Eggs

1/2 tsp Vanilla

1/4 cup Vegetable Oil

1/2  cup Seltzer Water

3/4 cup Buttermilk

1/2 cup Toasted Shredded Coconut

Preheat waffle iron to medium high heat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream, eggs, vanilla, oil, and buttermilk. Gently pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently stir to combine. Gently mix in the seltzer water and toasted coconut.

Pour into heated waffle iron and bake until golden brown. Serve immediately with maple, or coconut syrup.

Mildly adapted from ATK's Buttermilk Waffles

16 Responses to “Toasted Coconut Buttermilk Waffles”

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — February 11, 2015 @ 4:47 am

YES!!! I am so happy for Ben! Both our men got their awesome nursing gigs so close together!
    And these waffles? YES x 2. You know i love my breakfasts, and that toasted coconut is  ah-may-zing. Pinned!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — February 11, 2015 @ 6:51 am

So excited for you guys. That’s awesome news! And can you deliver these waffles? Because I’m totally craving some!

Heather Christo — February 11, 2015 @ 6:53 am

Congratulations Megan! And cheers to Saturday Morning Date Nights! These waffles look absolutely wonderful!

Bri | Bites of Bri — February 11, 2015 @ 6:57 am

Yay for Ben! So exciting and doesn’t it always feel so good when something like that gets resolved?

Jessica | Saucy Pear — February 11, 2015 @ 7:05 am

Waffles are our occasional Saturday morning treat – we’ve never done it with toasted coconut though, which sounds fantastic!

Congrats to both of you surviving a crazy time of life (been there, done that!)

Erika — February 11, 2015 @ 7:32 am

Everything is better with buttermilk.. (That should be on a t-shirt) Girl these look amazing!

Annalise @ Completely Delicious — February 11, 2015 @ 11:26 am

Now these are my kind of waffles! P.S. I love This Old House. 🙂

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — February 11, 2015 @ 2:00 pm

I’m so excited for Ben landing this job!  Breakfast in bed for this guy 🙂

bev @ bevcooks — February 11, 2015 @ 5:33 pm

YUMMAAAAAAAY. (that’s yummy in bev speak)

Shanna @ Pineapple and Coconut — February 11, 2015 @ 8:20 pm

Huge congrats to Ben that is wonderful news!!  Great department to be in too. And these waffles? Guuuurrrllllll you know these are after my own heart. Making ASAP!!

Amanda | The Cinnamon Scrolls — February 11, 2015 @ 8:56 pm

First off, congratulations on the job, that’s great! Secondly, these waffles. Omg, I may have to go out and buy a waffle maker just so I can taste these babies! They look delicious!

Kathryn — February 13, 2015 @ 3:30 am

Congrats to Ben, that’s awesome news!!  These waffles = so good! They look so light + fluffy + perfect.

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — February 13, 2015 @ 4:41 am

Congrats! That sounds like a perfect way to spend your Saturday mornings!

Bonnie — February 13, 2015 @ 6:36 pm

These waffles look so scrumptious! I can’t wait to try them. Congrats on Ben’s job!

Shannon — February 20, 2015 @ 11:17 am

yum! such a good switch!

Lou — March 19, 2015 @ 10:36 am

I never comment on recipes, but im going to do it on this one just in case somebody need an idea for a movie.

First of all i live in Serbia, and this ingredients here are expensive ( i could live for a week with that money), but i really wanted to eat this cus it seemed very nice. I mixed all up, and i made buttermilk myself, cus you cant buy that one here. I mixed milk with lemon juice as they told on some Serbian cooking site, that turned out ok, but in the meantime coconut burned up. But it put it in anyway. When i got this perfect mixture for waffles, i figured out that my waffle iron got lost. I got really mad. Then i tried to make pancakes out of it, but they turned out to be burned on the outside and very row on the inside. Then i got pissed off and throw away mixture. Then i went to do the dishes, but i flooded the kitchen. Then i started crying. in the process of cleaning everything up, i slip, broke down the shelf with everything on it, and hit the floor. Then i got midly electrocuted because someone left toaster plugged in. After one hour of cleaning, i decided to relax and make some soup, but the soup decided to over-boil on the stove. What a nice day. I think im never going to make waffles again.