DIY Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix

There is nothing like pudding right off the stove, and with five simple ingredients you can put this DIY Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix together in a jiffy and there are no questions as to preservatives or extra ingredients you can’t pronounce!
DIY Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix - www.countrycleaver.com

At one point in my early life, it was just me and my mom. It was hard, more so on my mom than for me. She worked very hard but never left me wanting for love or her time. And one of my earliest recollections of my mom’s cooking was her making cook and serve chocolate pudding over the stove. There was always a saucepan to scrape clean, a big whisk to lick and then we would both dive in to the skin that would form on the top of the still warm pudding. Apple. Tree.

Those memories repeated themselves often, we love our cook and serve pudding, and whether or not our family had grown to include my bonus dad and bonus sister at the time these cook and serve memories had formed, I can’t recollect – but I always remember that warm chocolate pudding was a solely mother and daughter experience. And one that was always full of love.

Ben and I had been scrounging for an instant pudding for a quick dessert this weekend and I knew after tearing apart a lone package in the back of the cupboard that I had all but forgotten about, there had to be a better way to do this. And one that didn’t include things I couldn’t pronounce. Now I can relieve those childhood memories with mom and always have pudding mix on hand.

DIY Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix - www.countrycleaver Only 5 ingredients that you already have in your house!

A big thanks to Brown Eyed Baker for this recipe inspiration – It brought back utterly fond childhood memories. Try out Michelle’s Vanilla Instant Pudding, too! You can’t have chocolate without vanilla!

DIY Instant Chocolate Pudding

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

Cook Time: 8 Minutes for Pudding

1 1/4 cup Sugar

1 cup Cornstarch

1 cup Milk Powder

1/4 cup Cocoa Powder

Pinch of Salt

1/2 Vanilla Bean caviar, split and seeded (optional)

For Pudding Mix:

In a bowl, whisk all the ingredients together. Seal in an airtight container for later use.

To Make Pudding:

In a sauce pan, bring 2 cups of milk and 1/2 cup of Instant Pudding Mix to a boil. Reduce the milk to a simmer and stir constantly for about 5 minutes or until the pudding thickens. Remove from stove top, pour into a large bowl and let rest for 5-10 minutes until warm and ready to eat, or place in the fridge and let cool completely.

To prevent the "skin" that forms on cook and serve puddings, press plastic wrap onto the top of the pudding and place in the fridge to chill.

Serve.

Mildly adapted from Brown Eyed Baker's Vanilla Instant Pudding

34 Responses to “DIY Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix”

Maria — April 14, 2014 @ 6:05 am

Fun! Going to try this!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — April 14, 2014 @ 6:20 am

What a special memory and an incredible way to re-create it! I loved reading about your time with your mom–
    thanks so much for sharing. I wish I could give you a giant hug, and then dive
    into a giant bowl of this chocolate pudding! It is one of my ultimate comfort foods too, and I will never again be tempted with the scary ingredient prepackaged mix. As per usual, you are amazing.

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — April 14, 2014 @ 6:46 am

Moms are the best! This DIY pudding mix looks amazing and totally mom approved:) Thanks for sharing, friend!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — April 14, 2014 @ 6:53 am

This is brilliant, Megan. We used to make chocolate pudding growing up all the time too. And big cheers to your mom! :)

Erika — April 14, 2014 @ 6:58 am

This is such a great idea! Gotta try it..

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 14, 2014 @ 7:36 am

Bah!! Such a cool idea! Love this!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — April 14, 2014 @ 7:40 am

Such a great DIY, Megan!

Karly — April 14, 2014 @ 9:15 am

My dad LOVES instant pudding. He’s always making a bowl. I should make him a batch of this mix for his birthday!

Tanya B — April 14, 2014 @ 10:55 am

I love it. I always think of my great aunt when I think of cook and serve chocolate pudding since that was out thing together. I was always too impatient for it to completely cool, so I developed a love of warm chocolate pudding along with the thick skin. I can’t wait to give it a try.

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — April 14, 2014 @ 3:43 pm

Oh how fun! I’ll be making this.

Patricia — April 14, 2014 @ 6:21 pm

What an awesome recipe! Love it!

Kim Wilson — April 14, 2014 @ 6:22 pm

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I grew up in a house where my mom cooked everything from scratch. Then, I got married and had a full-time job so I quickly introduced myself to the world of prepackaged everything. I recently “retired” and I’m so enjoying trying the “cooking from scratch” method! Can’t wait to try this recipe.

Kirsten/ComfortablyDomestic — April 14, 2014 @ 8:11 pm

What a cool idea! I love stove top pudding, but when I’m feeling lazy I grab the long-forgotten box in the back of the cupboard. Now I have an option with few just a few pantry staples!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — April 14, 2014 @ 8:44 pm

Such a fun recipe, Megan! I love the story of you and your mom making and sharing pudding together. I used to love the butterscotch and chocolate flavors most and how the pudding would form a skin, too. I’ve gotta try this! Thanks for sharing.

Tieghan — April 14, 2014 @ 8:51 pm

Such a great recipe. I love pudding! Also, cute story about you an you mom!

Sophie — April 15, 2014 @ 3:35 am

this looks great! Thanks for sharing. Do you think this would work with a sugar substitute like splenda? I’m trying to use less sugar in my cooking..!

Marly — April 15, 2014 @ 5:51 am

I love homemade versions of store-bought goodies!

Claire Gallam — April 15, 2014 @ 6:32 am

GREAT recipe love!!!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — April 15, 2014 @ 7:02 am

You always amaze me with your brilliant DIY recipes. Love this! It is so happening.

Lauren — April 15, 2014 @ 7:05 am

Great idea! I’ll have to give this a whirl!

Courtney @ Neighborfood — April 15, 2014 @ 7:10 am

I love this! I still have such a fondness for instant pudding (plus it’s so easy!), but I always feel a little bit of food blogger shame when I pull out that little box. Love this recipe and that I can have instant pudding with pantry basics!

Gaby — April 15, 2014 @ 8:48 am

Such a fun idea!

Laurie {SimplyScratch} — April 15, 2014 @ 11:36 am

Awww snap! This is awesome!

Sandy @ ReluctantEntertainer — April 15, 2014 @ 12:28 pm

Love your recipe, girl. Fun gift to give, too!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — April 15, 2014 @ 2:19 pm

What a great idea! Love how simple it is!

Danae @ reciperunner — April 15, 2014 @ 3:16 pm

Such a great memory! A bowl of pudding is so satisfying and such a simple delicious dessert. Thanks for sharing this DIY instant version, so much better to know exactly what’s going in it!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — April 15, 2014 @ 4:36 pm

Thank you for sharing such a great memory. I prefer the cooked pudding over the instant, but sometimes the instant is just what is needed for either a recipe or a time slot. Soooooo then I could really and truly claim this was homemade. Laughing—–

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — April 18, 2014 @ 5:29 am

Excellent! I need to try this!

Shaina — April 22, 2014 @ 11:47 am

Such a wonderful idea! I can’t wait to try it out.

Amelia @ Eating Made Easy — April 30, 2014 @ 9:05 pm

I absolutely LOVE when people like you come up with a homemade version of something processed (yet delectable). Thank you! Can’t wait to have a stock of this on-hand for pudding cravings!

Julie — August 22, 2014 @ 11:01 am

I’m trying to find a way to make an instant strawberry pudding mix. Any ideas?

Jen — September 20, 2014 @ 12:38 pm

I was super excited when I found this recipe and no matter how many changes I make it just is not good :( I used milk, water, halved it, doubled it even added more unsweetened cocoa and there’s almost no flavor :/

• Megan replied: — September 22nd, 2014 @ 5:12 am

I’m so sorry it didn’t meet your expectations! Try adding a different cocoa powder to the mix instead – different cocoas have different tones and flavors that might meet your liking. I will give this recipe another go and see what improvements I can make.

Doug Williams — September 27, 2014 @ 12:49 pm

The first time I made this mix I felt it needed more cocoa powder in it, it looked a tad pale, but I followed the recipe. Also, following the cooking instructions, the pudding came out very thick like cold mashed potatoes and did not have much chocolate flavor. After my first batch of cooked pudding, I added a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder to the 1/2 cup mix and increased the milk to 2 1/4 cups and the result was much better and had the normally expected pudding consistency and ‘mouth feel’. I have used up my first batch of mix (using my modifications to the recipe) and have made a new batch doubling the cocoa but have not as yet cooked any. Nonetheless, I was happy to find this mix recipe as well as one for a no cook version using instant clear jell in the mix, which also needed a little ‘tweaking’. I love to cook and I certainly enjoyed the challenge of tweaking these pudding recipes to get the end product I desired!!!