Cookin' My Way Back to the Country

20-Minute Blueberry Cream Cheese Danishes

These 20-Minute Blueberry Cream Cheese Danishes are perfect for breakfast or dessert, and crisp up for a breakfast on the run or something to sip with coffee.20 Minute Blueberry Cream Cheese Danishes - These are so simple for breakfast or a weekend brunch! Toast them in your toaster for a quick meal! 1.jpgLast night, as I was staying up way past my bed time, getting TV-romanced by Mansfield Park and sipping on a steaming cup of chamomile tea, Ben came out of the room and his hours long study binge, leaned on the wall and felt compelled to ask, “When is this British TV bubble going to burst?”. Uhh. WHAT? Bubble? I stared at him like a dog looking at a weird sound…

How about NEVER!

20 Minute Blueberry Cream Cheese Danishes - These are so simple for breakfast or a weekend brunch! Toast them in your toaster for a quick meal!.jpg

What is wrong with epic story telling, complicated and all consuming love, me and my yoga pants for hours on end and British accents?

I can’t say I wasn’t enthralled  by Mansfield Park because the Lord Grantham is in it, too! A much younger, pudgier and more ditzy version of him though. And Notting Hill? You do know he was Bernie in that movie, too right?

The world’s worst stockbroker? Yup, that’s him! Millions down the drain.

And don’t worry – I’m all caught up on Mr. Selfridge, too. PBS Masterpiece theater – you just get me.

Then of course, Sherlock.

Okay, maybe Ben is right – it is a sickness or something. Is it reasonable to identify with each of these characters so profoundly? Or crush on them so hard? C’mon – who can’t get the teenage girl giggles at Benditct Cumberbatch and his curly mop on top hair? And that trench coat? C’mond.

Ben has been on a Breaking Bad bender lately, and there is only so much I can take of that show in one sitting. By the end of every episode I’m looking for a dark hole to crawl into, or rummaging in the fridge for a beer to drink. It’s too much.

And this is where our TV watching paths diverge. He’s into the intense and I’m into the intense love.

Give me British Drama or give me death.

Okay, maybe it is time for the Intervention Banner.

20-Minute Blueberry Cream Cheese Danishes

PrintPrint Recipe

1 sheet puff pastry, unthawed
8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Almond Extract
2-3 Tbsp Sugar
1 1/2 cup Blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 Egg, whisked
3 Tbsp Water
Powdered Sugar - for dusting

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet.

On a lightly floured surface roll out thawed puff pastry into a 12x9" rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise, yielding 2 4-½" strips. Cut those two strips crosswise into thirds, to yield six 4x4 ½" pieces.
With a knife, score ½" border around the edge of each piece of puff pastry. Use a fork to make five or six pricks into the dough within the border of each piece. This will help keep the middle of each piece from rising.

In a bowl, stir together softened cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and almond extract. Spoon about 2-3 heaping tablespoons of mixture into the middle of each piece of dough and spread around evenly, ensuring the mix stays within the borders. Into the middle of the cream cheese, add blueberries and press down into the cream cheese lightly so they set in place.

In a small dish or cup, whisk together the egg and water. Using a pastry brush - brush the edges of the puff pastry with the mixture. This will help the edges turn golden brown and crispy.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown, on the middle rack and rotate the baking sheet half way through baking. Remove from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or room temperature. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.

46 Responses to “20-Minute Blueberry Cream Cheese Danishes”

Jenna — March 19, 2014 @ 5:53 am

Oh these look wonderful! Perfect saturday morning treat! I love how easy they look to make! No fuss!

steph@stephsbitebybite — March 19, 2014 @ 6:10 am

I stayed up past my bed time too…watching Teen Mom 2…why I’m still in to this show at almost 30 years old I have no clue. But I do know that I could totally have one of these for my breakfast this morning, and every morning!

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE — March 19, 2014 @ 6:25 am

Danishes with berries and cheese, well are just the best. Always wanted to make it at home. This looks like a good recipe to make!! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Kathryn — March 19, 2014 @ 6:58 am

I’m pretty sure you watch more British TV than I do ; )

Tania — March 19, 2014 @ 8:41 am

You really made me laugh out loud now- I love my British tv series! And the danish looks divine

Marie @ Little Kitchie — March 19, 2014 @ 8:42 am

Amanda — March 19, 2014 @ 8:56 am

I’m right there with you. Give me Downton and Mansfield any day! I’m sort of turned upside down since you mentioned Lord Grantham was in Notting Hill. I hadn’t even noticed!!!

Anyway, these looks so yummy and simple!

Alaina {Fabtastic Eats} — March 19, 2014 @ 9:35 am

My husband and I love British tv..there’s a couple pretty good comedies, old ones, that we watch from time to time!
    LOve this combo.. I have a cheese danish obsession, I just can’t say no..and blueberries..mmm!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — March 19, 2014 @ 11:56 am

British TV, a ceiling???? If the longevity of Pride and Prejudice is any indicator, I think we have many happy years ahead. Thank goodness! PS. That danish??? Girlfriend, how do you always know the way to my heart?

Gaby — March 19, 2014 @ 12:03 pm

This is my dream breakfast!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — March 19, 2014 @ 12:40 pm

I love danish pastries for breakfast and these quick version are perfect for the morning when I don’t feel like doing anything but eating. Ha! And berries + cheese are my favorite kind, Megan!

Annalise @ Completely Delicious — March 19, 2014 @ 12:54 pm

I could – and would! – eat all of these in one setting. They look so perfect, and love how easy you made them! Oh, and P.S. British Drama is the BEST.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 19, 2014 @ 1:05 pm

And just WHERE were these for my breakfast this morning? Guess I’m dreaming again! I need to make these happen, like, stat. Great recipe and photos, Megan!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — March 19, 2014 @ 2:37 pm

This is my kind of breakfast! These are beautiful!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — March 19, 2014 @ 6:17 pm

I have huckleberries in my freezer that would be PERFECT for this! YUM!

Tieghan — March 19, 2014 @ 8:58 pm

If I could call the breakfast everyday I would be so happy! Looks awesome, Megan!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — March 20, 2014 @ 5:43 am

My man is gonna DIE when he sees this recipe!! LOVE!

Leah | So, How's It Taste? — March 20, 2014 @ 6:47 am

These are gorgeous! I can’t believe how easy they are to make!

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — March 20, 2014 @ 7:44 am

Anything with the words ’20 minutes’ and ‘danish’ in the same sentence is calling my name – but with blueberry and cream cheese as well?? Heaven.

Claire Gallam — March 20, 2014 @ 12:20 pm

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 20, 2014 @ 2:44 pm

Gorgeous times a zillion! Love everything about these my friend!

ashley - baker by nature — March 20, 2014 @ 5:33 pm

These are so dreamy! I’ve always wanted to make danishes, and the fact that these are a 20 minute situation make them all the more attractive.

Amy @ The Nifty Foodie — March 20, 2014 @ 8:36 pm

Those look amazing! I love how quick/easy it is!

Teresa — March 21, 2014 @ 11:40 am

What is the egg and water for? I don’t see it in the recipe, but it’s in the ingredient list.

• Megan replied: — March 21st, 2014 @ 11:43 am

Oh, so sorry!! It’s a wash for the edges of the pastry to make sure the edges come out nice and golden brown. Just brush the mixture onto the edges of the crust. I will fix the recipe ASAP!!

bev @ bevcooks — March 29, 2014 @ 2:36 pm

Mama. Hold. Me. Now.

Laura M — April 17, 2014 @ 3:50 am

I don’t have what I need and I NEED them now! Plus I totally agree with all the tv info. Totally didn’t know about Bernie though! Too funny!

Mary Lynn — April 24, 2014 @ 7:39 am

I just used my blueberries for muffins last night. Will try it with the cherries in the freezer. Wish I had an extra 20 min in the morning. Will bake these on Saturday.

Janice (@KtchnHealsSoul) — April 24, 2014 @ 8:16 am

I fall in love with tv characters all the time! It also means I set the bar really, really high when I go on a date because I’m hoping the guy sitting in front of me is as brilliantly smart and quirky as Sherlock. Hah! This might be why I’m still single…
    Love cheese danishes so much, and I bet with blueberries they are even better 🙂

cher bartlett — April 2, 2015 @ 9:34 pm

Making these for Easter Brunch. Can’t wait!

Samantha — July 27, 2015 @ 1:39 pm

Wow, just made these with blueberries from the garden, amazeballs!  Best thing I have ever eaten.  These will not last long.  Thanks for the post and I love my British television!

abbey — August 16, 2015 @ 8:55 am

Saw this recipe featured on buzzfeed and it’s simplicity caught my eye! Made them this morning – a set of blueberry and a set of raspberries – the bberries were just right and the raspberries a tad too sweet. Dear hubby enjoyed them. thanks for the recipe!

• Megan replied: — August 16th, 2015 @ 8:13 pm

I’m so pleased you enjoyed them, Abbey!! I hope they become a routine breakfast treat!

Leslie — September 3, 2015 @ 1:22 pm

Hi Megan, cute blog. Just found it and am navigating my way around 😉 This recipe looks quick, easy and delicious!! What brand of puff pastry are you using? I have a hard time finding one that TASTES good and is not a completely greasy mess after baked.
    By the way, after reading this blurb about britsih TV (which I really like), I have added Mansfield Park to my Netflix queue 😉 Thanks!!

• Megan replied: — September 8th, 2015 @ 7:55 pm

Hi Leslie! I use Pepperridge Farm Puff Pastry! I hope that helps. 🙂 And I am so adding Mansfield Park to my Netflix queue!

Jenica — September 28, 2015 @ 11:11 am

Your recipe says “unthawed”. Do you really mean “thawed”? Thaw being the opposite of frozen 🙂

• Megan replied: — September 28th, 2015 @ 7:03 pm

Thanks, Jenica. Yes, ensure that is thawed 😉 Thanks for catching that!

Sandee — January 15, 2016 @ 12:27 pm

Is the almond extract a must?

• Megan replied: — January 16th, 2016 @ 6:52 pm

Hi Sandee, no it’s not. But it does add a delightful flavor to them. Try vanilla instead if that is more your speed. 🙂 Please be sure to let me know how they turn out! Send me a tweet, or tag me on Facebook!

Ashley — February 6, 2016 @ 2:53 pm

How many sheets of puff pastry do I use for each one? Also, do I need to put an egg wash or anything in between the layers? Thanks!

Rebecca — March 25, 2016 @ 10:47 am

Can I make these the night before? How do you recommend heating them up? So excited for them!!!!

Sarah — March 25, 2016 @ 11:58 am

Can this be made as a full sheet (say, 9×13) then cut when serving?

• Megan replied: — March 27th, 2016 @ 3:14 pm

I haven’t tried them as a sheet, so I wouldn’t be able to say for sure. But it’s definitely worth a shot!! Let me know if you try them that way!

Christy — April 4, 2016 @ 5:48 am

Can these be made ahead and frozen?  Or prepared, frozen, and then baked?

1. Pingback: Almond Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish — Mirch Masala