Sweet and Tangy Tuna Stuffed Peppers

No mess, healthy tuna stuffed peppers are a great lunch to pack for work or eat for a quick meal. Filled with protein, and veggies this will keep you stuffed until dinner.Sweet and Tangy Tuna Stuffed Pepper

*Written two hours before the Season 4 premiere of Downton Abbey last night*

It has been a rough year. A year knowing Matthew Crawley would not be back and a year of bitterness over that one single fact. A year of torment and wonder of how Mary would handle the absense of the only person who could crack her shell and bitter exterior. A year of poor Tom Branson and the brand new Crawley baby (whose name I didn’t even know until last night! – hello Royal Coincidence, pun quite intended!) both missing a wife and a father. My heart was pre-shredded to pieces and the episode hasn’t even aired!

Sweet and Tangy Tuna Stuffed Pepper

By some strange miracle, I managed to go all winter without pirating copies of the season online. Ben’s mom ordered me the 4th season on Bluray for Christmas which means I have to wait a few more weeks to get it and it’s absolute torture. Patience was never my virtue, sorry to expose that little secret. Shocker. Not.

Sweet and Tangy Tuna Stuffed Pepper

So here I sit, OD’ing on all three season of Downton in one weekend (true story), and wondering if it’s possible for DVD’s and Blu-ray’s to wear out like old VHS tapes used too… After a year’s worth of Downton on repeat I’m genuinely worries about the state of the discs. Poor things. And I’m boarderline convinced even Ben knows the Downton theme song by now. #sorrynotsorry

Sweet and Tangy Tuna Stuffed Pepper

Between the carbs, chocolate, wine and maple bars, I’ve managed to keep my excitement contained for Downton tonight. This excitement meant lots of carbs to calm me. I’m okay with that, even if my jeans aren’t.

So I’m going pay penance for my Downton related food sins with one of these for lunch tomorrow. I love these stuffed peppers like there is no tomorrow. They’re simple to make and keep really well for lunches at work. If stuffed peppers aren’t your think, minced up your pepper and mix it in with the tuna to make an uber-veggie tuna salad and top the whole thing on spinach for an epic salad.

Just trying to save the jeans everywhere. And make up for my carb-related food sins.

Oh, and Dan Stevens – just so you’re aware, every Downton Abbey fan everywhere is still epically upset with you for dying. Just a friendly heartbroken FYI.

Sweet and Tangy Tuna Stuffed Peppers

Yield: 1 Pepper

1 can Light Tuna, in water, drained
1 stalk Celery, finely minced
2 Tbsp Shallot or red onion, finely minced
1 small can Mandarin Oranges in light Syrup
2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp Olive Oil Based Mayo
Salt and Pepper
1 Bell Pepper, halved and seeded

In a small bowl, stir together tuna, celery, shallot (or red onion), and mandarin oranges. Add in red wine vinegar and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fill halved and seeded bell pepper and refrigerate until ready to eat.

If a pepper isn't your style - just chop up the bell pepper and add it to the tuna mixture. This is great used over a big salad for lunch, if you're going low-carb.

18 Responses to “Sweet and Tangy Tuna Stuffed Peppers”

sally @ sallys baking addiction — January 6, 2014 @ 4:51 am

A perfectly healthy and easy quick meal, Megan! Love these. Must try ‘em! PS: and your carb-related food sins? Yes, I can totally relate…

Marie @ Little Kitchie — January 6, 2014 @ 5:22 am

Haha! I hear you on the Downtown binge! What did you think of last night?!

Julia — January 6, 2014 @ 6:03 am

I must catch up on Downton, I MUST! I still haven’t seen the series. Considering you’re the 3rd person in 12 hours I’ve “heard” talk about it, I’m taking it as a sign that I need to OD on Downton stat! These peppers look amazing! Hand me a plate of this, wine, and maple bars, let’s get our TV on!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — January 6, 2014 @ 8:55 am

I haven’t watched the episode yet, but I am totes excited!! I am thinking I need to eat these tuna stuffed peppers while I watch!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — January 6, 2014 @ 9:01 am

I still have to see season 3! I’m so behind… but these sound fabulous Megan!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — January 6, 2014 @ 9:26 am

Hello, healthy deliciousness. That this is a healthy lunch I can get behind. Love it! My NY resolution is to watch the entire DA series on Netflix this year. It will probably be the only resolution that I ever keep. Pinned!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — January 6, 2014 @ 9:35 am

Uggghhh I’m behind on Downton Abbey and I need to catch up stat because I keep hearing things! Where’s my free, full weekend of Downton binging when I need it!

In other news, you smarty pants with this recipe. I LOVE it.

Alice // Hip Foodie Mom — January 6, 2014 @ 9:39 am

Megan, I love this!!! I feel like canned tuna is making a come-back. . and re: Dan Stevens, don’t even get me started. . I was so sad initially. . sadness turned into being a little upset b/c I learned that he left to try Broadway? anyway, I’m happy for him that he is taking a chance to try new things. . I guess better to go out when things are good. . but so SO SAD for the end of Matthew Crawley and Mary. :(

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — January 6, 2014 @ 10:13 am

It was weird watching Downton last night without Matthew on it. I was so pissed when he died but later found out he wanted to leave the show. I was then mad about him wanting to leave and not allowing them to cast a guy who would want to stay longer. lol — oh my problems.

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — January 6, 2014 @ 11:22 am

I can not WAIT to finish it tonight!!! Oh and I love that you put this tuna in a pepper!!! So brilliant!

Gaby — January 6, 2014 @ 11:47 am

This looks so light and amazing. The perfect lunch!

Tieghan — January 6, 2014 @ 9:07 pm

Perfect lunch or light dinner!! I love tuna and peppers!

• Megan replied: — January 7th, 2014 @ 8:56 am

Thanks Tieghan! I had one yesterday for lunch and might just have another one tomorrow. I’m so predictable haha

Shaina — January 7, 2014 @ 7:13 am

What a great twist on tuna salad and stuffed peppers!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — January 7, 2014 @ 12:49 pm

I’m thinking I need to hop on this Downton trend .. all y’all are so obsessed and my mom never stops talking about it and I’m over here like, uhhhhh Pretty Little Liars, anyone? (I have such juvenile taste in TV, clearly). Anyways, I want a couple of these for lunch! They look super yummy, Megan!

• Megan replied: — January 7th, 2014 @ 12:53 pm

I need to catch up on pretty little liars! I’m so far behind! I’m also a Vampire Diaries addict so I don’t judge anyone’s tv watching choices ;)

katie — January 7, 2014 @ 3:25 pm

Oh these peppers sound awesome. I love the idea of using them verse bread. I really need to watch Downtown Abbey… everyone is talking about it…. I’m so out of the loop! lol.

Amelia @ Eating Made Easy — January 14, 2014 @ 11:50 am

What a unique combination of flavors! I never would have thought of this, but it looks fabulous!