Easy & Healthy Sweet Potato Spinach Breakfast Hash

This sweet potato spinach breakfast hash is a great breakfast to make on the weekend and eat through the week for quick and healthy morning breakfasts to fuel your day!

Sweet Potato Spinach Breakfast Hash - 3 ingredients and a super healthy way to start the day! Make ahead for a week's worth of weekday breakfasts!

Thank goodness for January and the banishment of Christmas cookies. I was burning out on the cookies pretty bad but of course, since you only OD on Christmas cookies once a year, I was really hitting them like there was no tomorrow. Now I’m on lockdown. Still failing at the lockdown part miserably – but after this month of Christmas Cookie-ing, I’m craving veggies.

As an alternative to the truffle shuffle I’ve been sporting, I’ve been downing my daily breakfast of Sweet Potato Spinach Hash with an egg on top voraciously as some sort of food penance for a month of gluttony.

But it’s a new year and I think the theme for 2014 should be – Everything is Better with an Egg on Top.

One of my dear friends - Kat - has this same thing for breakfast every day and she’s got me hooked on it, too. Amongst our friends, we’ve dubbed it The Kat, in her honor. and I feel the Truffle Shuffle dissipate with every bite.  The best part about this is that it requires minimal ingredients, three to be precise, and I make a batch every Sunday night so I have enough prepped and ready to reheat it every morning for breakfast. Easy peasy and less truffle shuffley.

At 250 calories, I think this is the best way to start the day and keep you fueled up an full. Especially when doused in Chipotle Tabasco.

Ben can’t say I’m not eating my veggies now!

3-Ingredient Sweet Potato Spinach Breakfast Hash

Cook Time: 20-30

2 Yams/Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cut into ½" cubes
1 large bag Fresh Spinach, or 1 package thawed frozen spinach
Eggs

Non-Stick Spray
Chipotle Tabasco
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicon mat or spray with non-stick spray.
Peel and cube sweet potato into ½" cubes. Place on baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray.
Bake until fork tender - about 25-30 minutes. Turning once while cooking.

While the potatoes are roasting, in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat, wilt the spinach turning it frequently until it gets soft. Work in small batches of spinach. Use immediately or place in a container and refrigerate until needed.

To assemble::
Plate roasted sweet potato and wilted spinach. (Make sure to squeeze spinach of any extra moisture or hash will be watery, eww.) Microwave until steaming and hot, about 1 minute 30 seconds. Microwaves vary, so nuke until it's heated through.
While potatoes/spinach is microwaving, heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Lightly sptiz with cooking spray and crack and egg into the pan. Cover pan and cook until egg whites have set. Remove from skillet and top onto potatoes/spinach.
Add salt and pepper to taste if desired, and chipotle Tobasco if needed. (it's my favorite). Devour immediately.

Adapted from Kat M. - Tenaciously Yours

26 Responses to “Easy & Healthy Sweet Potato Spinach Breakfast Hash”

Kathryn — January 3, 2014 @ 3:46 am

This looks like such a good way to start the day and I love the idea of prepping it in advance so you have a tasty and filling breakfast ready to go in the mornings.

Julia — January 3, 2014 @ 5:10 am

I love this! I could eat a sweet tater hash for breakfast every day and haven’t been very good about prepping bk in advance lately. Will definitely make this over the weekend so I can warm it up for the chilly mornings during the week :) Happy New Year, lady!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — January 3, 2014 @ 5:51 am

I want this RIGHT now!!! And lucky me, I always have these items around!!

steph@stephsbitebybite — January 3, 2014 @ 6:03 am

Oh my gosh! YESSS to this! Why have I not thought to use sweet potatoes for breakfast?

Laurie {SimplyScratch} — January 3, 2014 @ 7:13 am

I’m such a sucker for a runny yolk. This looks SO good!!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — January 3, 2014 @ 7:24 am

All of my favorite things in one dish! I’m loving it!

cassie — January 3, 2014 @ 7:43 am

I am ALL about a quick breakfast hash. This sounds amazing!

Katrina @ WVS — January 3, 2014 @ 8:14 am

Yes please!! I’m loving this idea. Hard. It looks so yummy!

Alice // Hip Foodie Mom — January 3, 2014 @ 8:17 am

250 calories?! Wow, looks so good! going to try, yummm!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — January 3, 2014 @ 8:27 am

Oh how I wish I had this for breakfast! Looks delicious!!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — January 3, 2014 @ 8:51 am

Love potato hash! This couldn’t be easier! Pinned!

Kelly Patrick — January 3, 2014 @ 10:58 am

Oh sweet me! I saw this yesterday on instagram when’s sick monkey slippers made it and now here! I must make it now! Do y’all live together?

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — January 3, 2014 @ 11:19 am

I have been looking for filling breakfast options like this one for awhile now. I’m gonna have to give it a try.

Marg S — January 3, 2014 @ 2:37 pm

This looks so yummy and easy to make. I can’t wait to make this. I don’t mind doing some prep on the weekends – it makes it easier when things get bonkers during the week. I often have dinner/work lunches prepped. I never thought to prep breakfast. Thanks!

Sandy @ RE — January 3, 2014 @ 4:35 pm

Love this, Megan. Yummy for the new year … brunch time!

Tieghan — January 3, 2014 @ 8:57 pm

Love this!! Some of my favorite food first thing in the morning!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — January 3, 2014 @ 9:30 pm

I never make hashes! I must change this!

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — January 4, 2014 @ 8:49 am

This is my idea of a perfect breakfast, it’s all you need.

Nikki @Seeded at the Table — January 5, 2014 @ 7:48 am

I love the sound of “put an egg on it” even better than “put a ring on it”. lol! Seriously, a runny egg on top of my hash is the best thing ever! (I may be known for exaggerating sometimes…) :)

Mommy G — January 5, 2014 @ 1:48 pm

Sounds like my new amazing weekend breakfast!

Deborah — January 5, 2014 @ 3:30 pm

Why yes, everything is better with an egg on top!! I could totally eat this every single morning and be a very happy girl.

Kat (kljwm) — January 5, 2014 @ 4:51 pm

Most importantly, thank you for serving this in The Traditional Way: with lots of hot sauce! Xo

Kirsten/ComfortablyDomestic — January 5, 2014 @ 5:39 pm

I feel like The Kat absolves us of a variety of food sins. Long live The Kat!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — January 6, 2014 @ 4:20 pm

A beauty of a way to start any day, love this!

Shaina — January 6, 2014 @ 5:53 pm

Love that perfect egg on top.

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — January 8, 2014 @ 4:51 am

I’d eat this every day for breakfast if I had time during the week. A 5:00 a.m. wake-up call prohibits any clear thought but this is totally becoming my weekend breakfast jam!