How To Tuesday :: How to Make Balsamic Glaze

DIY Balsamic Glaze

I food driven magpie. It’s awful. Instead of being attracted to shiny things, its food. Lately it’s been all about the balsamic glaze and Thai food. Right now I’m on a SERIOUSLY concerning Thai food bender. Ben might need to break out the intervention banner soon. Just wait for the recipe I have for you for healthy Thai food next week. I’m still eating it as lunch leftovers – I can’t get enough. But I digress – because my focus today is Balsamic Glaze. I could sip this with a straw!!

Maybe the intervention banner isn’t far off…

But there is a reason for it – Balasamic Glaze is amazing!! I’ve seen it in stores for outrageous amounts. I saw a 6 ounce bottle for $15. You be jokin’, right? Pass. Nab yourself a bottle of regular ol’ balsamic vinegar and make your own for a fraction of the cost!!

How to Make Balsamic Glaze - www.countrycleaver.com

I have a supply of balsamic vinegar on hand at all times. This one from STAR is my favorite.

To make the glaze, get a sauce pan, or skillet and a bottle of vinegar. Over low or medium low heat, pour 1-2 cups of vinegar into the sauce pan. This will reduce ALOT, so use double the amount of vinegar you want to end up with.

If you need ½ cup glaze, use 1 cup of vinegar.

How to Make Balsamic Glaze - www.countrycleaver.com 2 I prefer using a round bottomed sauce pan or skillet, because the vinegar won’t get stuck in the corners and burn. Bring the vinegar to a VERY light simmer, make sure it’s steaming and gorgeous. Constantly stir the vinegar until it begins to reduce.

My tell tale sign to tell you when it’s done – is to keep your eye on the edges of the pan. The stickier and more “glazy” the vinegar gets, it will start to stick to the sides of the pan a little more. The more syrupy it is, the closer it is to done!

When your vinegar is nice an syrupy, it’s done!! Remove it from the heat and let it cool.
DIY Balsamic Glaze - www.countrycleaver.com

And that’s all there is to it!! Remember, low heat and a round bottom pan or skillet. That’s how I get fail proof balsamic glaze every time and you can too.
My favorite way to eat balsamic glaze is over roasted brussels sprouts. AH-Mazing!! Give it a try today for dinner.
Catch up on other How-To Tuesdays below!
How to Make Chocolate Ganache
How To Roast Peppers - www.countrycleaver.com
Avocado Eggs Benedict and How To Poach an Egg - www.countrycleaver.com
2 Ingredient Nutella Magic Shell - www.countrycleaver.com

18 Responses to “How To Tuesday :: How to Make Balsamic Glaze”

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — January 21, 2014 @ 9:44 am

Love balsamic glazes! My favorite way to use it is to drizzle it over roasted brussel sprouts. Yummmm! It’s crazy that people out there spend $15 when they can make it themselves for so cheap. Great how-to!

cassie — January 21, 2014 @ 10:03 am

I lovvvvve balsamic glaze. I think my husband would actually eat this stuff with a spoon!

Kristi — January 21, 2014 @ 10:38 am

The wedge salad at Outback has a balsamic glaze on, but I’ve never found anything like it. Do you know if this is a similiar taste? I’ve never tried making my own balsamic glaze before.

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — January 21, 2014 @ 11:39 am

Balsamic glaze is luxurious and amazing…and even better when you make it yourself! Love your how to posts!

Gaby — January 21, 2014 @ 2:53 pm

I love balsamic glazes, this is wonderful!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — January 21, 2014 @ 3:02 pm

I have never made balsamic glaze, but I hear it is some kind of wonderful. I must try this!

Shaina — January 21, 2014 @ 4:55 pm

This with chicken, please.

Tieghan — January 21, 2014 @ 8:53 pm

I eat this with EVERYTHING. LOVE it!

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — January 21, 2014 @ 10:17 pm

Balsamic glaze is pure love! I like to add some maple syrup to mine when I’m reducing it :)

Sommer @ASpicyPerspective — January 22, 2014 @ 7:19 am

A balsamic glaze just kicks a dish up to deliciousness! Such a great how-to!

Star Fine Foods — January 22, 2014 @ 11:22 am

This looks wonderful Megan! Thank you for this how-to.

Courtney @ Neighborfood — January 30, 2014 @ 7:22 am

I LURVE balsamic glaze. During the summer I put it on pretty much everything–grilled cheese, salad, chicken, pretty much anything that goes on the grill. Great tips and lovely photos as always!

Nutmeg Nanny — February 6, 2014 @ 12:38 pm

My mouth watered a little at the mention of this over brussel sprouts :) yum!

1. Pingback: Stuff I've Gotta Share and You've Gotta See | Recipe Girl

2. Pingback: Country Cleaver Introducing #HowToYOUsDay & Goat Cheese Stuffed Praline Dates » Country Cleaver

3. Pingback: Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See | Weight Loss & Wellbeing.

4. Pingback: When a Diamond Tiara isn’t enough to remind myself that I’m a Woman: Greek Pizza Recipe for Pizza Week | Comfortably Domestic

5. Pingback: Blueberry Balsamic Grilled Cheese Sandwich - Cooking with Books