Light and Healthy Blueberry Lemon Mousse for Liz’s Surprise Bridal Shower

This light and healthy blueberry lemon mousse recipe is perfect for those trying to stay healthy but indulge a bit. And it’s ONLY 150 Calories per serving!

Light and Healthy Blueberry Lemon Mousse - Only 150 calories per serving

This weekend I finally did it – ran my first 5K!! It’s been six years in the making and I finally did it. Being the food driven weirdo that I am, I shuffled along 3.1 miles listening to my my iPhone with a pre-loaded 3rd season episode of NCIS, focusing on putting one foot in front of the other, not tripping myself and this light and healthy blueberry lemon mousse. But there is a better reason for me to be hyper focused on this treat… because it’s for a Very Special Someone… You’re dying to know who, aren’t you? I know. Suspense is just awful. Oh, is anyone else totally tied to their Hulu catching up on Nashville, Chicago Fire, New Girl, Sleepy Hollow and duh, SCANDAL? I know… I can’t pull myself away. Wait, where I? Oh yeah, suspense. It sucks. Like I said, there is a good reason for it… Are you ready? Ya sure?

Light and Healthy Blueberry Lemon Mousse - 150 Calories per Serving

It’s because today we’re throwing a GIANT surprise Baby Shower for our friend Liz of The Lemon Bowl. You know Liz – or if you don’t that needs to be remedied immediately! Our sweet lemon loving Liz is due to have an adorable little lemon very soon and all of your favorite food bloggers have come together to share our favorite lemony sips, bites and treats. There is no shortage of inspiration to celebrate this inspirational woman.

I got to know Liz this year, stalking her blog (like ya do), becoming quick friends and even shackin’ up together for a weekend in Austin with out other favorite foodie friends to eat ourselves stupid. We became great friends and I am so thrilled for this continuing parental adventure of hers. How she does it all, and is adding Little Lemon Numero Dos to the mix just astounds me – she’s Wonder Woman!

Light and Healthy Blueberry Lemon Mousse - 150 Calories per Serving

Liz has been a source of healthy inspiration for me, having gone through her own weight loss success, so I wanted to pay proper homage to a woman who has inspired me to harness my willpower and strive for healthy manageable weight loss, made me laugh, made me thoughtful, and who is a daily part of my routine. Even though we are separated by thousands of miles, she’s a gem through and through and we are all so very lucky to know her and call her our friend.

This light and healthy blueberry lemon mousse clocks in at only 150 calories, is fluffy and airy, tart and creamy with a smooth blueberry sauce as a surprise at the bottom. For all of you’s and me’s trying to be healthy, but need a little extra indulgence in their lives – this is just right for celebrating, and well – just because. Happy Baby Shower Liz and here’s to you and the little Lemon, too!

Light and Healthy Blueberry Lemon Mousse - 150 Calories per Serving

Check out all of the other Lemon-tastic treats whipped up in honor of this fantastic friend of ours. If you’re a lemon lover – this is totally your zen place.

Appetizers

Zest of 2 Lemons
1 tsp Vanilla
3 Egg Whites
⅓ cup Sugar
¼ tsp Cream of Tartar

For Blueberry Sauce:
Place the blueberries, water and sugar into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Pour into a mini food processor and pulse until smooth. Pour through and press through a fine mesh strainer to remove any pith or seeds. Divide the blueberry sauce into serving dishes and place in the fridge to cool.

For the Lemon Mousse:
In a small dish, pour the 3 Tablespoons of water. Sprinkle the gelatin over the top and set aside so it will bloom. In a bowl, whisk together yogurt, cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla.
In a separate metal or heat proof bowl, set over a sauce pan with a small amount of boiling water in it - create a mock double boiler. In the faux-double boiler whisk together the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. While constantly whisking bring the egg mixture to 160 degrees. The egg whites will expand and become bubbly. Immediately pour the eggs white into a stand mixer outfitted with a whisk attachment and turn on medium-high. Let the eggs beat until they form stiff peaks - about 5-7 minutes. While running, pour in the yogurt/cream mixture and beat an additional 1 minutes. Pour the whole mixture into the serving dishes over the top of the blueberry sauce.
Place in fridge and allow to set for 6-8 hours or over night. Sprinkle with additional lemon zest before serving.

Adapted from ATK's Yogurt Lemon Mousse

52 Responses to “Light and Healthy Blueberry Lemon Mousse for Liz’s Surprise Bridal Shower”

Ashley - Baker by Nature — October 14, 2013 @ 3:07 am

This is such a gorgeous dessert! So light and pretty, too!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — October 14, 2013 @ 3:23 am

Congratulations on running your first 5K! :D Such a great feeling. On another note, this mousse looks amazing! I brought a lemon/blueberry combination dessert to the shower too! Such a great flavor.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — October 14, 2013 @ 4:41 am

Congrats on your 5K! Lemon mousse is one of my very favorite desserts and you made it healthy! Perfect for Liz’s shower!!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — October 14, 2013 @ 4:57 am

So pretty! And a biiiiig congrats on your 5K!

• Megan replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 11:05 am

Thanks Katrina!! I hope Liz is just as surprised with all of her Lemony Treats for her big baby shower day today!! We love her, I mean how can we not!?!

Kathryn — October 14, 2013 @ 4:57 am

Oh this is lovely! You guys are so sweet to do this for Liz : )

• Megan replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 11:01 am

Thanks Kathryn! Liz is just a gem, how can we not celebrate her and that little lemon?!

Tieghan — October 14, 2013 @ 5:24 am

Congrats on your first 5K! Sounds super fun, but I don’t think I could ever run a race. Just don’t think it is my thing. LOL!

Love the mousse!! It is so pretty and sounds amazing!

• Megan replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 10:28 am

hahah I know, there are some super crazy race runners – I was more running against myself to make sure I could gte those three miles in without my back going out! hahah And thanks Tiegs, I’m so thrilled you like the mousse!

Erika — October 14, 2013 @ 5:36 am

Love this!! Congrats on your 5k lady!

• Megan replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 10:27 am

Thanks Dollface!! It’ been a long time coming, but I am pumped I finally got that marked off my bucket list! Now, to refuel with a mousse!!

Rachel Cooks — October 14, 2013 @ 5:42 am

This mousse looks amazing and may I say — you’ve been killing it lately with your photography! Gorgeous!

Rachel Cooks — October 14, 2013 @ 5:43 am

This mousse looks amazing and may I say – you’ve been killing it lately with your photography! Gorgeous!

• Megan replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 10:26 am

Awww thanks Rachel!! I’m so thrilled you’ve been liking the photos, it makes me blush. :) And thank YOU for organizing this whole shindig. What a hit!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — October 14, 2013 @ 5:54 am

I can’t believe you ran a 5K!!! So proud of you!!!! I can’t run to save my life. And this dessert?? I want to dive into a bathtub full of it. Lemons and blueberries are bffs. Thank you so my surprise!!!! You are the sweetest!! So glad to have met you!!! xooxoxox

Ali @ Inspiralized — October 14, 2013 @ 6:05 am

This is a beautiful presentation! What a great idea… love the lemon!

• Megan replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 10:21 am

Thanks Ali! I love fall time, but a Lemon Party for Liz was a great way to get that summer feeling again!

Amanda — October 14, 2013 @ 6:24 am

GAHorgeous!!! Oh my word, eating healthier never looked so good!! You have combined the most luscious flavors here. Seriously need to make this!

• Megan replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 10:13 am

Thanks Amanda, that means a lot coming from you!! I hope you try it – I can’t get enough – not the least of why is because it’s practically guilt free!! WIN!!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — October 14, 2013 @ 6:50 am

Congrats on your 5K!! Awesome!
    And this looks amazing!! Your photos are absolutely gorgeous!

• Megan replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 9:50 am

Thanks Marie! It was a race against the clock to get these shot before the light went down – but I’m so pleased you like them!! I really like eating them ,too!

Kevin @ Closet Cooking — October 14, 2013 @ 7:32 am

This looks so refreshing and good!

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste — October 14, 2013 @ 8:04 am

This looks so incredibly light and refreshing! Love all that fresh fruit flavor!

• Megan replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 9:49 am

Thanks Kelly, that means a lot coming from you! I can’t wait to get home from work to have one more!!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — October 14, 2013 @ 8:48 am

Congrats on finishing your first 5K! What a great post about Liz and baby lemon!

• Megan replied: — October 14th, 2013 @ 9:49 am

Thanks pretty lady!! I was dreaming about these mousse’s the whole race haha Can’t wait to get home for one more!

Courtney @ Neighborfood — October 14, 2013 @ 10:40 am

Congrats on the 5K! This looks so luscious and refreshing. I wish I could just float in a big bowl of the stuff!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — October 14, 2013 @ 11:57 am

I can’t even run around the block so HUGE congrats on completing the 5K. This lemon mousse looks divine!

Sandy Coughlin — October 14, 2013 @ 12:38 pm

Love this healthy addition to the shower! Thanks for sharing!

Alyssa (Everyday Maven) — October 14, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

Wow, congrats on your 5K!!! This is seriously the perfect lemon themed dessert – so light!

The Healthy Apple — October 14, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

What a lovely treat; so beautiful darling!!!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — October 14, 2013 @ 2:49 pm

1) This. Um, YUM.
    2) ALL THE SCANDAL. Can’t get enough!
    3) Congrats on the 5K! Just thinking about running one makes me tired so kudos to you for pulling through!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — October 14, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

This looks SO delicious! Congrats on your first 5k! I’ve done 2, and I’m signing up for my first 10k soon! ahhh!

Julie @ Table for Two — October 14, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

Congrats on this 5K, girl! I want a huge helping of this!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — October 14, 2013 @ 5:33 pm

Dude, you are the da’bomb!!! Congrats on running your 5K! And this mousse, I die. Gorgeous pics, friend!

Julia — October 14, 2013 @ 6:33 pm

Wow –I need to try this! It looks so light and flavorful!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — October 14, 2013 @ 8:20 pm

Lemons and blueberries are so perfect together! The mousse looks so good! What a great little treat for Liz!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — October 14, 2013 @ 9:38 pm

This is so light and dreamy and creamy and fluffy and perfect! GAH total heaven right hurr.

Brittany Wood — October 14, 2013 @ 10:20 pm

I LOVE lemon, thanks for sharing!!

Patti — October 14, 2013 @ 11:19 pm

This recipe looks perfect and I’d love to try it, but could you tell me at what point the gelatin is added? I swear I read this several times but couldn’t find this step.
    Thanks!

Joanne — October 15, 2013 @ 4:42 am

First of all, MAJOR congrats to you on your first 5K!! That is super!!

Second of all…I totally use food as motivation while running. I can see this getting me through my long run this weekend!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — October 15, 2013 @ 11:55 am

I love that you made a light dessert! So very Liz. :) It looks amazing, too!

And congratulations on the 5K! YAY!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — October 15, 2013 @ 12:20 pm

Awww perfect dessert for Liz!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — October 16, 2013 @ 7:45 am

Yuuuuummiiidddddyyyyyy.

Gaby — October 17, 2013 @ 7:11 pm

This looks so light and delicious! Just perfect for the shower!!

Deborah — October 19, 2013 @ 9:36 pm

I love how light these look! Gorgeous!

Nutmeg Nanny — October 21, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

Oh yum! My favorite flavors :) this looks lovely!

Kelly — November 30, 2013 @ 8:09 am

Can you tell us where you add the gelatin mixture? I attempted to make this and the directions aren’t very clear when it comes to the gelatin.

Sheila — December 28, 2013 @ 9:33 am

This sounds scrumptious! Tell me, could you use honey instead of sugar?

• Megan replied: — December 28th, 2013 @ 9:49 am

I haven’t tried it with honey, so I can’t say whether or not it would work. There are other sugar alternatives, like coconut sugar, that might work and that are similar to white sugar when baking.

1. Pingback: Links I Love « Blogroll « The Grommom

2. Pingback: Country Cleaver Day 2 of The 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways :: Weck Jars Collection » Country Cleaver