Crispy Roasted Denver Breakfast Panzenella

Crispy toasted bread, tossed with roasted sweet peppers, onions, and crispy bacon. Coated with a vinegar dijon dressing, this is tangy mix will start your day off right.

Crispy Denver Breakfast Panzanella

Do you like flying? I’ve had a love/hate kinda thing going on with it for a few years now – but I think I’m finally on my way to getting over it and almost – dare I say – enjoying it again? Maybe? Which, now that I say that means my next flight it going to be B to the Umpy. I’ve been flying since I was a baby, and until I was 14 I was totally cool with the lofty skies. It just happened that I went to Japan when I was 14 and had the time of my life – until our flight home. Being 14, with a group of other 8th graders and a few chaperones on a trans-Pacific flight, at night, in a lightening storm, was well not my idea of a good time and that was the moment I got over my wonder of flight. And as soon as I was able to drink pre-flight that started happening. Not much, just a beer or glass of bubbles to take the edge off. I was one step shy of loading up on the Xanax but I think I found an alternative – and dudes, it works like a charm.

IMG_5296

Remember Dramamine? Yes, the sea-sick preventer? I used to abhore that stuff-  mostly because I always had the faux-orange chewable kind, but with all the flying I’ve been doing – I’m in Iowa right now, bee tee dubs. – Meredith of Sock Monkey Slippers has shown me the light of the Dram again!! Last week’s flight from Salt Lake City to Idaho Falls was on a tiny barely-a-jet puddle jumper that had me losing my ish all over the place. She told me to pop one of those bad boys and 10 minutes later I was la-la-la-ing my way through! Miracle if there ever was one!

So before I jumped on my jet to Des Moines, I stocked up and I am set to go! No more boozing, no Rx-ing, and I am happy as a clam and *gasp* almost enjoying the rock-n-rolla of flight. And even small planes aren’t as terrifying. That combined with a hearty breakfast and I’m flying high in the friendly skies!

Crispy Denver Panzanella

1 Red Bell Pepper, quartered
1 Green Bell Pepper, quartered
1 Onion, quartered
4 slices Bacon, cooked and chopped
1 loaf Artisan Bread, cubed
3 cloves minced Garlic, divided
2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
¼ cup + 3 Tbsp Olive Oil, divided
2 tsp Italian Seasoning
¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 Eggs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss bread cubes with 3 Tablespoons of olive oil and 1 clove of minced garlic. Place on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown and crispy. Turn half way through. Remove from oven and set aside.
Heat up a grill, or turn on oven to 400 degrees. Grill large vegetables until soft and grill marks are set. Remove from grille, and dice into small bite size pieces. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together remaining olive oil, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, dijon mustard, and remaining garlic. Combine all ingredients into a large bowl, and toss with the dressing. Set aside and let rest.
For fried egg, heat non-stick saute pan over medium heat. Spray with non-stick spray, crack eggs into the pan and immediately cover with a lid. Let cook until whites of the egg are set. Serve up panzanella and top with egg. Serve immediately.

26 Responses to “Crispy Roasted Denver Breakfast Panzenella”

Carrian — October 10, 2013 @ 6:26 am

This looks so delicious! Definitely what I am craving right now!

• Megan replied: — October 10th, 2013 @ 7:37 pm

I’d be happy to make you a plate any day purdy lady!!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — October 10, 2013 @ 6:30 am

Look at that yolk. Beautiful. What a great breakfast!

• Megan replied: — October 10th, 2013 @ 7:37 pm

The yolk totally sells it doesn’t it? It’s just pure buttery gold!! hahah Thanks Kelli!!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — October 10, 2013 @ 7:02 am

I also have a love hate relationship with planes. I LOVE that the get me where I need to go super fast… I HATE the actual being in the air part. I pretty much give all my goodbyes to everyone for life every time I board a plane. I haven’t tried Dramamine for flying yet tho! We fly to Hawaii in Feb, I was planning on drugging myself and making hubby carry me around LOL might want to give Dramamine a try. BTW love the breakfast. I might could get a nap in after that breakfast!

• Megan replied: — October 10th, 2013 @ 7:37 pm

Totally try the Dramamine!! I am a believer!! Have a BLAST in Hawaii, too!!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — October 10, 2013 @ 8:02 am

Wish I was eating this right now!

• Megan replied: — October 10th, 2013 @ 7:36 pm

I will I dream of Jeannie blink some your way girl!!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — October 10, 2013 @ 9:16 am

I need this in my LIFE!!! Hope you’re traveling safely today!!

• Megan replied: — October 10th, 2013 @ 7:36 pm

Thanks girl!! Traveling as I type from 35,000 feet in the air. Get home in an hour and I get to kiss the puppy and pet the husband! I mean, reverse that. Whatever. And yes – you do need it in your life. I will have a plate waiting for you post delivery! Hurry up little dude!

kita — October 10, 2013 @ 9:21 am

Freakin stunning. Like really, you made that egg work it baby!

• Megan replied: — October 10th, 2013 @ 7:35 pm

Oh I put that egg to work alright – and then she did a number on my tastebuds. I mean, woah!! I love me some drippy egg. And I love when others appreciate the simple things like that. :)

Courtney @ Neighborfood — October 10, 2013 @ 10:20 am

I love flying except for in those wretched puddle jumpers. I had one bad experience where I was *certain* we were going to be blown into a mountain by a storm, and that was enough to kill the puddle jumper joy for me. Breakfast panzanella is a freaking awesome idea. And that dippy egg yolk? I want!!

• Megan replied: — October 10th, 2013 @ 7:34 pm

With the Dramamine, I am almost – I say almost – getting better about flying and the puddle jumpers I’ve taken in the last two weeks haven’t been nearly as scary as they were before. That’s epic winning!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — October 10, 2013 @ 10:37 am

Your 8th grade story sounds like a nightmare! I’m totally afraid of flying, though it doesn’t stop me from traveling I really despise it.

I want that meal! Looks heavenly.

• Megan replied: — October 10th, 2013 @ 7:33 pm

I know – it’s hard to travel, but its definitely a means to get to some cool new places. So I guess when I think about that, I’ll deal with a few bumps if I end up somewhere cool!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — October 10, 2013 @ 1:32 pm

This is such a cool idea!!!

• Megan replied: — October 10th, 2013 @ 7:33 pm

Thanks Katrina!! I am all over anything carby, crispy and dripping with egg yolk!!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — October 10, 2013 @ 2:43 pm

I personally love flying but only because in those couple of hours I am in the air, I can get whatever I need done without my ADD kicking in. This breakfast dish looks awesome!

• Megan replied: — October 10th, 2013 @ 7:32 pm

That’s a totally fair point – but I say that as I am currently in the airplane and working. I can’t escape it. haha

Tieghan — October 10, 2013 @ 7:30 pm

Oh that drippy yolk!! Yes, please! This look so good!

Hope you traveled safe today!

• Megan replied: — October 10th, 2013 @ 7:32 pm

Thanks Tieghan!! I’m a sucker for a drippy yolk, too. I mean how can you not be when it looks like THAT!?

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — October 11, 2013 @ 7:13 pm

hahah I hate the turbulence, but don’t mind flying at all..at least I never used to. Now I kind of hate for a whole other reason..two babies, bags, strollers, carseasts…ugh, need I go on? Sucky.
    Anyhoo, I’ve never had a Panzenella before! WHAT! I need to try this asap, it looks incredible!

Des — October 13, 2013 @ 12:16 am

mmmmm look at that yolk! Every good breakfast needs a perfect runny yolk :)

Nutmeg Nanny — October 16, 2013 @ 4:49 pm

This is gorgeous! I’m immediately drawn to any dish topped with an egg ;) the flavors in this are perfect!

1. Pingback: Bean Bytes 59