Cheesy Roast Turkey and Veggie Panini

Take a bite of this cripsy and totally cheesy roast turkey and veggie panini for those chilly fall nights. Its even better with a side of completely creamy creamless tomato soup!

Cheesy Roast Turkey and Vegetable Panini

I’m a hormonal, nesty mess. Every few months I go through this phase where I start house hunting, turn into this faux-mommy bird where I have to nest and have a house. It’s not in the cards right now and I try to remember that we have 11 months, 12 days and 18 hours left in the one bedroom apartment I’ve had for over four years.

It’s time for an upgrade. And NONE of this is helped by the fact that I downloaded the worst app for a person with this Nesting Condition known to man – the Zillow App. What have I done to myself? It’s pure torture. Really, getting my right big toe removed would be less torturous than this. And this is voluntary!! Clearly, I’m a hormonal nesting sadist – because I can’t stop finding the next perfect starter house for Ben and I. Of course it has to have a big yard – for Ben’s imaginary 1.143 acre sized garden that he says he’ll take care of…*cough* yeah right *cough*  The kitchen for me, obviously, and an open layout, with enough updated appliances, fixtures and good construction so that I’m not going to be replacing a water heater within the first six months after I move in. Thankfully I have two wonderful sounding boards in this process that attempt to keep me grounded. Ben. And my mother.

Cheesy Roast Turkey and Vegetable Panini

Between those two- who are neck and neck for the title of cheapest persons on the planet – my mom always acknowledges my fevered desired for a new little abode to call our own with a little “yes, dear” and a pat on my pointy head, but (rightfully) discourages us on buying anything on the west side of Washington state because, truthfully we know it’s not where we want to be. And if her rationale doesn’t work she employs the next card up her sleeve –  telling me that Walter White will be my new next door neighbor – so I better get used to seeing ATF jackets floating around, or that there is a slaughter yard back behind the house, to which the urge to go rescue all the cows with rough tongues and big doe eyes would over ride my all consuming love that is a hamburger. Buzz Killington.

She knows how to kill my imaginary puppies doesn’t she? But it only comes from a good place. She realizes that Ben’s and my goal is to end up back in the wheat fields of the Palouse in the next couple of years, after establishing his new career and I can blow this popsicle stand of a job. But it’s hard to be patient when you know your dreams are just a couple of years out of reach. At least my mom keeps me grounded out of the goodness of her heart, even if she has to resort to calling my imaginary neighbors Walter White.

And yes – while she is telling me all about the horrors of my imaginary house and trying to halt my self inflicted house hunting blues she always knows how to make me feel better – with carbs. We have that in common. This sandwich is one of my favorites – and it comes straight from the Mama. It’s a staple in our house using our Calphalon 5-in-1 Panini Press and Griddle. I love that thing to pieces. And I freakin’ adore this sammich. Yeah, yeah – and my mother, too.

Cheesy Roast Turkey and Vegetable Panini

Dijon Mustard
½ pound Roast Turkey Sliced Lunchmeat
1 Tomato, thinly sliced
1 cup Spinach
Slices of Your Choice of Cheese - I used Colby Jack
Non-Stick Cooking Spray

To Caramelize Onion:: Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add in butter and allow to melt and start to simmer. Add in thinly sliced onion and toss to coat in butter. Let simmer and stir occassionally until the onions turn golden brown and reduce down. Remove from skillet and add to sandwich.

For Paninis::
Preheat Panini Maker to 375 degrees. If you don't have a panini press - make this like a grilled cheese, it's fantastic!
Top slices of bread with mayonnaise and dijon mustard. Top slice of bread with turkey, tomato, caramelized onion, spinach and then cheese. Top with last slice of bread.
Spray down panini press with non-stick spray, and press until bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted inside. Remove from press, slice and serve.

21 Responses to “Cheesy Roast Turkey and Veggie Panini”

Becki @ Bites 'n Brews — October 30, 2013 @ 7:32 am

I made caramelized onions for the first time last night. I’ll have to put the extra on one of these!

• Megan replied: — October 30th, 2013 @ 11:01 am

Caramelized onions are the bee’s knees!! And it’s like bacon – they go great on everything!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — October 30, 2013 @ 8:16 am

Can I get one of these delivered for lunch?!

• Megan replied: — October 30th, 2013 @ 11:02 am

I will practice my I Dream of Jeannie Blink ad see if I can get you one right over! :)

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — October 30, 2013 @ 8:50 am

My panini maker just but the dust. I need to get a new one asap because I have this huge love for grilled sandwiches. That zillow app is going to get you in big trouble.

• Megan replied: — October 30th, 2013 @ 11:03 am

Get a new panini maker for sure!! And yes – the zillow app needs to go! It’s killing me slowly haha

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — October 30, 2013 @ 8:54 am

Ooooooh….I love me a good panini. I really need to upgrade my press. I think it’s circa 2007 and needs to just go away. Can you pass me one of your sammies, please?

• Megan replied: — October 30th, 2013 @ 11:10 am

*Slides sammie across counter* This ones on me, friend! ;)

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — October 30, 2013 @ 8:55 am

Girl, I’m right there with you. David & I have totally outgrown our condo and wanna get a houseeeeeeeeee with our own driveway, attached garage, with a bigger backyard for Ryder, and another bedroom and bathroom, please! We probably have a little more than a year though since he doesn’t graduate until May 2014…

This sandwich looks like a nice distraction!

• Megan replied: — October 30th, 2013 @ 11:15 am

Yes – We are totally on the same wavelength. Those labradorks take up a lot of room and need some space too! Do it for the puppiesss!!! And another bedroom wouldn’t kill us – that man needs an office and I can’t stand him studying up late at night when I’m trying to sleep! The worst.

Oh and Ben graduates at the same time, too! We can cheer eachother on and support those men together haha. And eat sandwiches to get through it haha

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — October 30, 2013 @ 8:59 am

I think I need a panini press in a bad way! It’d be the perfect cold weather pick me up ;)

• Megan replied: — October 30th, 2013 @ 11:23 am

Woman – get one! Sienna could totally handle making grilled cheese for the other two!

DessertForTwo — October 30, 2013 @ 9:37 am

Oh, Zillow. It’s dangerous! Because you start to believe that you’ve seen the perfect house and it’s at the perfect price and you must move now! But trust me, when you’re ready, the perfect house will present itself :)

Cheesy roasted turkey? You’re my dream girl :)

• Megan replied: — October 30th, 2013 @ 11:24 am

Oh goodness – someone else that understands what I’m dealing with with this dang Zillow app!! Yes, that’s it to a T!! I think I’ve found my perfect Palouse house like 4 different times. It’s killing me slowly. haha

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — October 30, 2013 @ 10:56 am

Hello, dream lunch! I would love to sink my teeth into this scrumptious panini! What a delicious flavor combo.

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — October 30, 2013 @ 1:05 pm

This sandwich would have been a much better choice then the handful of candy I ate.

Miss — October 30, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

My mom was just telling me all about the Zillow App and she’s not even house hunting, just so cool she said. You will find your dream home when the time is right. I need one of these sandwiches, now would be ideal!

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — October 30, 2013 @ 5:47 pm

I LOVE this post. I was just having this same conversation with my husband, I am so so ready for the next couple of years to just get here already, I can just see the future right around the corner, but it’s coming in slow motion!! It’s hard to be patient!!! :) ….P.S.That sandwich looks redonkulous :)

Gaby — October 30, 2013 @ 6:16 pm

House hunting, so fun! I’m sure it will happen for you. Now gimme one of these fabulous sandwiches!

Tieghan — October 30, 2013 @ 7:01 pm

Hello gorgeous sandwich!! Want this!! Now I just need a panini press! it’s on my Christmas list! :)

tinasdeliciousdishes.com — November 1, 2013 @ 2:32 am

Just found your site and I’m glad I found it the day you posted a samich! You can never have too many ideas for what to put between two pieces of carbs especially if it’s grilled! Good job