Skinny Pumpkin White Chocolate Creme Brulee

You won’t believe it ’til you try it – but this Skinny Pumpkin White Chocolate Creme Brulee will get you in the fall time mood without the extra guilt!

Skinny White Chocolate Pumpkin Creme Brulee

You know that guy who breaks down on the side of the high way, who holds up traffic during rush hour and causes an eight mile back up? Geezzz don’t you just hate that guy? Ohhh wait, I was almost that guy yesterday… well, girl. I now have a new respect for “that guy”, because trust me, you may be sitting in that back up pissed off at that guy – but he is having a heck of a lot worse day that you are!!

Skinny Pumpkin White Chocolate Creme Brulee

The Honda, the old 13 year old tan nag is giving me some teenage tantrums and I am about to drive her over a cliff if she doesn’t knock it off. All 211,000 miles of her decided that yesterday was a good day to stop moving her ass down the free way, during rush hour, and promptly pooped out just as I made it into a gas station while on the phone panicking to Ben that -

OMG My Car is going to DIE

I am going to be STRANDED

And OMG Where are you, come find me?!

Where am I?

A Gas station.

Which one?

Hell, I dunno…the one by the Subaru dealership just off the freeway…

What Happened? It just started to die. No, I don’t know why, it wouldn’t accelerate, I downshifted and tried to rev up the RPM’s and it wasn’t budging. Gawd, it’s hot out there, don’t die on me yet Honda, I don’t wanna be THAT GUY!!!!!

:: Ben sure is a lucky man isn’t he? ::

Skinny Pumpkin White Chocolate Creme Brulee

At first I had mixed thoughts about the car going kaput – The old nag knew she might be on her last leg and her final parting gift to me was to drop to her lug nuts and leave me two blocks away from the Subaru dealership where I have been pining over a Subaru Outback for the last 4 years…

Then I had the feeling of …

Eeeeee, I might finally be able to get a Subbie. It’s a signnnn!!

“Oh Em Gee, a CAR Payment?!” The worst.

Is Ben going to finally let up and let me spend *GASP* Money?!

Should I get a new commuter car?

Or something a little snazzy?

Should we just tow the old nag and find out what’s wrong with it and see if its worth fixing?

It’s not even turning over now, so really it’s probably dead.

YAY, New Car. Wait, maybe not. Well, crap. Am I excited or in dispair? This was my first car! My only car! So many memories. *sniff*

Welcome to my internal thought process – and all of this within the span of 5 minutes. I am an enigma. So Ben came to the rescue, helped me get a hold of road side service, prepared to tow me to the nearest Honda dealership, sat with me for nearly an hour on a record breaking 93 degree day – What? That’s scortching for Seattle – and then after that time and all of Ben’s handy dandy diagnostic work and a phone call with Car Guy Bonus Dad, we thought it was an electrical issue. Crap. Maybe the oxygen sensor. Catalytic converter? Well, it didn’t make a rattle, boom bang sound so it wasn’t a belt, but Hmmm….

What could it be, you ask? … Insert preggo pauses…

Skinny Pumpkin White Chocolate Creme Brulee

And what did the tow guy find out? It was out of oil.

All the palms to all the faces, people!!

So why, you may ask, didn’t we look at that to begin with? Well, three weeks ago I dumped $800 getting the timing belt, drive shaft seal and water pump put in the damn thing – and the oil changed – so why would we think it’d be low on oil? Probably because either they didn’t top it off at the shop orrrr, it’s burning oil. Crap. So, after pouring nearly 2 quarts in, it was running. I was dismayed. Ben was pissed. And I am driving the hunk o’ junk to work again.

Ben drove it home and I took his pickup, utterly exhausted, stressed out, and I began ravenously typing and hunting down cars online so that in the next emergency I can just stop at the Subaru dealership and buy myself a dang car and ten ate myself a creme brulee. This creme brulee. Nothing like drowning your sorrows in a moderately healthy pumpkin and white chocolate custard and not leaving you feel stupid AND fat… At least I can put this in the win column for the day.

Oh, btw – I have narrowed it down to a Subaru Impreza Sport. It’s no Outback, but I’m willing to compromise a little so Ben doesn’t have a coronary over spending money…

Tune in next week for the adventures in Battle of Megan VS. Ben aka Team Subbie vs Team Put-Oil-In-It-Until-It-DIES

Skinny White Chocolate Pumpkin Creme Brulee

½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice, divided
⅓ cup Pumpkin Puree
5 Egg Yolks
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
8 tsp Fine Sugar

Adjust your oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Place chopped chocolate into a mix bowl. In a sauce pan combine vanilla bean, vanilla bean seeds (caviar), half and half, milk, sugar, salt, ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin puree. Whisk to combine. In a small bowl or dish whisk together the egg yolks and cornstarch until they are combined and smooth. Then whisk into milk mixture.
Bring the entire milk/half and half mixture to a boil over medium high heat, whisking frequently. Whisk until thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and strain into a bowl containing the white chocolate to remove any clumps and vanilla bean. Stir mixture together to melt and incorporate the white chocolate.
Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
Place ramekins or other creme brulee dishes into a roasting pan. Divide the thickened custard mixture into the dishes. Place the pan and custard onto the oven rack and pour the boiling water around the ramekins until the water comes about ½ way up the sides of the dishes. Gently slide into oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Transfer the custards to a wire rack to allow to cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
When ready to torch, dab away any condensation from the tops of the custards. In a small dish combine fine sugar and remaining ½ tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice. Sprinkle custards with fine sugar mixture and caramelize with a torch or under a pre-heated broiler. Serve immediately.

Adapted from America's Test Kitchen Skinny Creme Brulee

46 Responses to “Skinny Pumpkin White Chocolate Creme Brulee”

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — September 12, 2013 @ 5:38 pm

lol good luck. I vote new car but hey that’s just me talkin’. Also… you know who is going to freak over this ;)

• Megan replied: — September 12th, 2013 @ 5:39 pm

I know EXACTLY who is freaking out on this! I almost had to warn her ahead of time hahaha

Emily Wells — September 12, 2013 @ 6:04 pm

I’m with Team Ben on this one. Sorry–HUGE Honda fan here! (Although my husband would be on your team as he drools every time he sees an Imprezza WRX). My 98 Civic is the best car ever! Poor Fuji (yes, I name my cars, lol) was two years old and had 22,000 miles on him when I bought him. Now, 13 years and an additional 160,000 miles later, he still runs like the day I bought him! Many brake jobs and oil changes and a few sets of tires and he’s still #1 in my book. :) Of course my husband drives him and I get to drive our POS Kia Sedona minivan, ugh. What I wouldn’t give for a brand new Odyssey!!

• Megan replied: — September 13th, 2013 @ 7:17 am

HAHAH Oh, don’t get me wrong – I adore my Honda and have for 13 years. But after 13 years and 210K miles, whew – it might be nearing time. So many miles and so many memories. And you’re right, Hondas just keep on chuggin’ along! Go Team Honda!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — September 12, 2013 @ 6:05 pm

OMG. Died while reading this. I just replaced all 4 tires on my Civic last week, only to have a separate, unrelated tired senor leak that set me back another $100. Talk about the least fun $$ you can spend. Good thing you had a fridge full of these beauties to keep you same. Pinning this right NOW!

• Megan replied: — September 13th, 2013 @ 7:18 am

I have spent the last few years telling myself that new tires every couple of years, and a few maintenance things a couple of times a year is so much cheaper than a car payment – and it is! – but at some point ya gotta bite the bullet and just buy a new car. It might be nearing that time, and I’m having mixed feelings about it, totally. Yay new car! Boo new car payment hahah I hope your Civic holds out a while longer! They are champs thats for sure.

Tieghan — September 12, 2013 @ 6:58 pm

Oh man, I HATE car problems. They make me cry, no joke. Such a wimp.

Good luck and if it were me and I had the money, I would totally vote for a new car! That is always fun!

Now, these creme brulee? Amazing!! So amazing!! I want 2 or maybe 4! I mean they are skinny, so I can totally do that!

And don’t tell me otherwise!

natalie @ wee eats — September 12, 2013 @ 7:36 pm

OUT OF OIL!? Guess it wasn’t the shoes after all! Which is a good thing, because I’d hate to have to get rid of such a cute pair of shoes!

You poor thing, good thing we have such good guys to come and sit with us by our dead cars, eh? :)

I wonder if my car could make it all the way to Seattle for some custard… probably not. :( Darn, I guess I’ll have to make it for myself!

rachel — September 12, 2013 @ 7:54 pm

bless your little soul!

I feel for you!!! <3

In college I forgot to change the oil in my little jeep for about 7 months — wanna guess how pissed my Dad was when he had to drive up from Austin to come help me?

yeah.

Those creme brulee are TDF! <3

• Megan replied: — September 13th, 2013 @ 7:11 am

HAHAH Dad’s are the best when their little girls call crying on the side of the road. I am lucky that I could call my husband to keep me company after I broke down, but I don’t ever want that to happen again! It’s a safety issue, right?! That should be a reasonable justification for a new rig! :)

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — September 12, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

That sucks you were stranded! At least you got help and your car sounds like it’ll be fixable.

David & I have bought two cars together now. A truck in 2010 and new car for me in 2012. Both times it was a weird feeling. Like, happy to have a new car but holy crap did I just spend all that money!?

• Megan replied: — September 13th, 2013 @ 7:02 am

Yeah, I’m nervous about that whole feeling – will I be happy to have a new car? Or miserable about the payment? It’s such a toss up!! But I guess if I do go get the new car, I’ll drive really fast and get over it hahha

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — September 12, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your car and being stranded! I hope everyone was nice to you!

On a happier topic, pinning and enjoying these creme brulees asap! I LOVE that pumpkin addition!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — September 12, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

Holy shiza! This. Is. Incredddddibaaaallllllz.

• Megan replied: — September 13th, 2013 @ 6:51 am

Oh Holla, They totally are!! Make a batch and try not to eat them all. At once. It’s hard to resist I know :)

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — September 12, 2013 @ 9:06 pm

Well, if you ask me…I vote for the new car. Why? Because you deserve it! Especially after all this trauma AND for being married now for 1 year. It could be a BIG anniversary gift! Yep. You’ve gotta milk every angle you can in negotiations with Ben. ;) But, ohmahgosh! LOVE this pumpkin dessert. Pinning!

• Megan replied: — September 13th, 2013 @ 6:51 am

hahaha Yeah, I think you’re right I do deserve it! haha I’m just gonna eat another cremem brulee until I figure out if Ben will go for me getting a new car hahah

monica — September 13, 2013 @ 12:53 am

Oh–car problems are the worst…but yeah-an excuse for a new one is the bright side. That part is exciting.
    And this dessert–um, I can’t wait to try it. It is fall and everything I love in one little serving. So good!
    Here’s a weird question: Can I ever just sub out vanilla bean for pure vanilla extract? I know I know–that’s cheating. But really. I just get overwhelmed with he idea of messing w/ vanilla bean, and the extract is SO easy. Is there an equivalent scale?
    Aloha to you!

• Megan replied: — September 13th, 2013 @ 6:48 am

Hey love!! You can add vanilla extract, but it doesn’t give the same vanilly-punch that the bean infused in the custard would. Be bold and use the bean if you can, but about 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla should do the trick :) XO!

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — September 13, 2013 @ 4:39 am

:( I can completely relate to your plight. I was that guy for years with my old hunk of junk. But by the time I sold it and bought a new car, I was a little sad to see it go. I wish I had these creme brulees to console me at the time. It would have made parting with my first car a lot easier.

• Megan replied: — September 13th, 2013 @ 6:42 am

I know that’s exactly how I’ll feel when the time comes – happy to be rid of it, but then I know I’ll miss it – it’s been my one and only car since I could drive! I mean, that’s a lot of miles and memories!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — September 13, 2013 @ 4:58 am

This is too funny, because just the other day our ancient Subaru Outback totally died on us and I had the EXACT SAME reactions. “Ohemgeee, a new car!” “Ohemgee, a new car payment.” Thankfully it was just a dead battery, but still. :) I totally wish I had these brulees to console me then!

• Megan replied: — September 13th, 2013 @ 6:40 am

Yeah, it’s the worst conflicted feeling EVER! I want a new car, but I don’t want the payment. I want to run the Civic into the ground, but I want a real Huck-hauling vehicle. Sooo torn! Glad your issue was only a dead battery!! Whew, relief.

DessertForTwo — September 13, 2013 @ 5:29 am

I did not know you could make skinny creme brulee! You’re a genius!

Also, I agree with Ben: no car payments! If you must, buy used in cash.

Did you want my money advice? Probably not. Do I want your creme brulee? Most definitely. xo

• Megan replied: — September 13th, 2013 @ 6:38 am

I know, I’m having this internal debate myself new or used. I just don’t know what to do! And I love not having a car payment, that part is my LEAST favorite part of this endeavor. :)

Sheila — September 13, 2013 @ 5:41 am

Ok screeching halt! Did you say preggo pauses? Or did you say Prego pauses…are you hungry for Italian or are you growing a child? What the @%#% !! How did I miss this? Sheesh Lois. XOXO Sheila

• Megan replied: — September 13th, 2013 @ 6:35 am

Ohhhh, girl don’t forget to click the “Read More” – Nope, not preggo I promise!!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — September 13, 2013 @ 7:06 am

I seriously want to snuggle that.

Laurie {SimplyScratch} — September 13, 2013 @ 10:07 am

UGH! Megan that BLOWS! I say… get what you want. Sorry Ben, totally team Megan on this one! :)

Oh and I can’t believe these are skinny… you have me baffled because they look so scrumptiously NOT skinny.

LOVE!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — September 13, 2013 @ 10:13 am

Car problems are the worst! It’s so funny how you can go from be frustrated by the situation to smiling at the thought of a shiny new car. Waaaay back in 2003 my car died a slow death….my solution, move to NYC where I don’t need a car anymore :)

Loving everything about this creme brulee!

Ashley - Baker by Nature — September 13, 2013 @ 11:45 am

My heart… you officially own it after this one!!! I neeeeeeeeed!!!!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — September 13, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

OMG, so sorry about your car problems, Megan! That stinks. What doesn’t stink is a shiny new car, and it sounds like you’ve earned it! Get something snazzy, new and reliable, girl. Treat yo’self!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — September 13, 2013 @ 4:04 pm

I made pumpkin creme brulee a few weeks ago and ate it in one instant. Love it.

Des — September 13, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

OH MAN! So sorry this happened! Whenever anyone complains about a stalled car when they are with me my response is always “I’m pretty sure that person is none to happy to be in the situation either”. Maybe I’ll just make a bunch of these and drive around looking for stalled cars and give them to the drivers. They would make anyone’s day better!

Subha — September 13, 2013 @ 8:53 pm

Lovely dessert……..its worth the effort…….
    x❤x❤

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — September 14, 2013 @ 9:33 pm

Car problems are the worst. I know that feeling when the old car breaks down, it’s like, “yay! maybe it’s time for a new car!”, but then it’s like, “Great knights of Columbus! That’s so much money!” It’s too overwhelming. I would just eat like 10 of these instead.

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eata — September 16, 2013 @ 6:47 pm

I vote new car! But I totally get not wanting a car payment! We finally made the plunge last month and had our first payment…gah I’m already dreading the next! BUT I also love my car sooo much that I don’t mind it! You’ll get there soon! ;) as to these mouthwatering brûlée please oh please make them just for me! ;) can’t even wait to try these! I literally JUST got a creme brûlée set yesterday as a late wedding present! I know just what to break it in on!

kelley {mountain mama cooks} — September 19, 2013 @ 4:26 pm

Holy YES! These look incredible!! And for the record, I’m on team Subie. I’ve owned 3 subarus and loved them all!

1. Pingback: Country Cleaver Pumpkin Pie Spice - Make Your Own Custom Blend » Country Cleaver

2. Pingback: Obsession for (F)all… | coming up roses

3. Pingback: Country Cleaver Cranberry Bread Pudding with Rum Cream Sauce » Country Cleaver

4. Pingback: Country Cleaver No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Caramel Cones » Country Cleaver

5. Pingback: Pumpkin Recipe Round-Up 4 - Good Recipes Online

6. Pingback: Pumpkin Recipe Round-Up 4 | Yummy Food Market

7. Pingback: White Chocolate Creme Brulee with Strawberry-The Law Student's Wife |

8. Pingback: Homemade Angel Food Cake » Country Cleaver