Tomato Pepper and Egg Breakfast Skillet

Camping season isn’t over – and this is one easy breakfast to make over a campfire or camp stove. These simple ingredients make this tomato pepper and egg breakfast skillet gourmet in the woods!Tomato and Egg Camp Skillet - www.countrycleaver.com

A couple of weekends ago Ben and I celebrated our one year wedding anniversary! Somehow a year has passed, already! Note to self – order wedding photos!! Yes, I have no ordered our wedding photos yet. But to celebrate, we wanted to go back to wear allll the magic happened and celebrate in eastern Washington. Camping. Well, we planned on camping. And I planned on cooking. Only one of those things happened.

IMG_4283
It was harvest time around them thur parts – so I grabbed my camera and we drove around the Palouse for a few hours snapping photos and taking it all in. I think Ben really misses being out in the fields working them during this time of year. He grew up doing it, so its hard to part from something as in-”grain”ed in who he is as farming. You just knew a pun had to be thrown in there… Look at who’s blog you’re reading…

Another one of our adventures besides visiting the farm and visiting the grandparents was to drive up and visit the wedding venue where we got married! We stopped into the fruit farm where we took our first photos, and picked peaches right from the trees. We stopped for a spell and visited our wedding venue and the lovely couple that run the joint and bought an amazing bottle of wine to celebrate and even stopped in at our cupcake maker’s shop to snag a few treats to take back to the family’s house with us. Best part – it was all Ben’s idea!! He might not show that romatic side often – to keep me on my toes, he says – but when that side comes out, I’m a puddle.

IMG_4396

Our grand plan of camping didn’t work out as well, planned – and after an encounter on the Mountain, near the farm where we were supposed to camp, that included Huck catching a scent trail and nearly running off leaving us to hear a long, low growl as we left (quickly), I figured I’d let the beasts of the mountain have their territory and I would take one for the team sleep in a real bed and not bother them… Yeah… o.O

Tomato and Egg Camp Skillet - www.countrycleaver.com 2

With all this glam-camp food I had ready to prepare – and not a camp stove to do it-  I ended up cooking for the family at home instead. And really, even thought camping sounded like a great idea at the time - I was pretty glad to have a real bathroom all weekend.

IMG_4287

This tomato, pepper and egg skillet is great for a crowd using only one skillet and minimizing camp dish doing.  It doesn’t take a lot of prep work or time to make either, so you have more time hiking and relaxing than slaving over a campfire! You will love this high class camping fare.

All week, I’ll be sharing some of my favorite camp cooking ideas and quick tricks to camp cooking so you can be prepped and ready for this Labor Day weekend! Get one last hurrah in before fall starts and the kids are back in school!

Tomato and Egg Camp Skillet - www.countrycleaver.com 3

IMG_4418

A man in his field. It’s a beautiful sight.

Tomato Pepper and Egg Camp Skillet

2 Bell Peppers, diced
4 Tomatoes, diced
1/2 Onion, diced
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Rosemary, minced
1/2 tsp Oregano, minced
4 Slices Bacon, cooked and chopped
4 Eggs
1 loaf Artisan Bread, sliced

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add in olive oil and let heat up until shimmery. Add in bell peppers and onion and stir until softened. Add in diced tomatoes and stir. Let the mixture come to a simmer. Add in garlic, salt and pepper, rosemary, and oregano to taste. Add in cooked and chopped bacon. Let the mixture simmer until tomatoes have broken down slightly.

Reduce the heat slightly, and make four small wells in the mixture and crack and egg into each well. Let the eggs set, until the whites are cooked through. Cover the pan to speed up process.

Remove from stove and serve with toasted bread for dipping.

22 Responses to “Tomato Pepper and Egg Breakfast Skillet”

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — August 26, 2013 @ 7:45 am

This skillet breakfast is amazing looking. Happy one year anniversary!!!

• Megan replied: — August 26th, 2013 @ 8:45 am

Thanks doll! We gobbled it right up and had a lovely anniversary!

Jamie @lifelovelemons — August 26, 2013 @ 8:10 am

Ohhh yum! Love that you can use the bread as dippers… so rustic and delicious looking!

• Megan replied: — August 26th, 2013 @ 8:45 am

I’m all for adding carbs into every meal if I can!! Hahah

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — August 26, 2013 @ 8:23 am

Happy Anniversary and what a beautiful, rustic dish. Your photos are beautiful and nostalgic. Just all around gorgeous.

• Megan replied: — August 26th, 2013 @ 8:45 am

Thanks so much Cathy!! I love using cast iron skillets- they’re so photogenic hahah

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — August 26, 2013 @ 8:55 am

I would gladly sleep on hard packed dirt for a bite of this breakfast skillet.

katie — August 26, 2013 @ 9:04 am

Love making skillet styles breakfast! This one looks amazing! Happy belated anniversary–time sure does fly!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — August 26, 2013 @ 9:27 am

I seriously can’t believe it’s been a year!! Where does the time go? Beautiful pictures! And I will take 2 skillets of these bad boys!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 26, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

Love this breakfast!! This is such a fun meal :)

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — August 26, 2013 @ 12:18 pm

I totally want to faceplant right into this skillet yumminess. Cool? Cool.

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — August 26, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

Happy 1st Wedding Anniversary, Megan! So cool that you went and visited your wedding venue as part of your celebration AND…that it was Ben’s idea! (The Big Lug often does the same with little surprises and says the same thing…”to keep me on my goes”, LOL!) Killer-gorgeous skillet breakfast, girl. Hubby and I adore chopped red bell pepper and bacon in our big weekend breakfasts. Tomatoes, too. Beautiful countryside photos in this post. LOVE! Thanks for sharing!

DessertForTwo — August 26, 2013 @ 6:30 pm

You killed me with this post. A gorgeous cast iron skillet recipe plus gorgeous wheat photos! I die!

Tieghan — August 26, 2013 @ 7:10 pm

Dying over this!! I love me some drippy eggs and this looks incredible! I want this whole amazing looking skillet!

And happy 1 year anniversary!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — August 26, 2013 @ 8:10 pm

Dude, happy 1 year anniversary! Totally exciting and egg-skillet worthy. Now that’s love :)

Des — August 26, 2013 @ 10:42 pm

Gorgeous pictures! I am loving this egg skillet breakfast. My favorite part of camping growing up was always the fun camp food we got to have. This would have been a hit! Now if only I could get my husband to go camping…

Jennie @themessybakerblog — August 27, 2013 @ 7:05 am

The country sure is beautiful, and so is this breakfast skillet. I can’t wait to make this on one of our camping excursions.

Courtney @ Neighborfood — August 27, 2013 @ 5:14 pm

I saw this on Instagram and had to come check it out! This is just my kind of breakfast. Or dinner….heck I’d have it for lunch too. Also, old red barn photo? Awesome.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — August 27, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

Gorgeous food… gorgeous shots… Happy Anniversary you two! Xo

Erika — August 28, 2013 @ 5:12 am

Oh Dear Lord! I need about 6 skillets of that happening in my kitchen right now. Happy Anniversary my dear!!

1. Pingback: Country Cleaver Trail Mix Greek Yogurt Parfaits » Country Cleaver