Tex-Mex Hot Dogs

Tex-Mex Hot Dog - www.countrycleaver.com

Fourth of July is officially less than a week away – how that happened I don’t know, but life sure caught up with all of us. Have you started gearing up for the big holiday weekend? Fourth of July happens to be one of my favorite holiday weekends all year and the smell of the grill means summer is officially here.  Kind of like the lighting of the Olympic torch is the start of the Summer Games, the lighting of the grill is the official start to summer. Children running around with sparklers and nary a care in the world makes me smile from ear to ear and spending the weekend with family and friends is what life is all about. It never fails to excite. The smell of burgers and hot dogs on the grill is synonymous with the season and it seemed fitting to end the Hot Dog Days of Summer week with this Tex-Mex Hot Dog. Topped with an entire lineup of south of the border favorite ingredients, this is my favorite hot dog of the week. It’s so full of color, the dog can’t be seen under it all! It’s spicy, fresh and totally fun.  Finished off with a heft drizzle of Darigold Mexican Crema, this will be your new top dog. Get it? Top dog? Sorry, I had to say it.

Tex-Mex Hot Dog - www.countrycleaver.com

Have you ever had Mexican Crema before? Much like sour cream, it has the power to add fantastic flavor to any dish. It can cool down spicy dishes, adding depth and creaminess to any creation it touches. But unlike traditional sour cream, it has a salty note to it gives yours dishes a new spin and dimension. That hint of salt makes it a cream to covet and I make sure it’s always on hand in my refrigerator.

Darigold, the makers of my favorite Mexican Crema, take immense pride in their work, and the cooperative of over 500 regional dairy farmers make sure that quality is at the pinnacle of their efforts. Locally owned and operated farms mean quality is key to Darigold, and you know the pride and hard work that goes into making sure the very best is put on the shelf for you to consume. Darigold is my choice for crema, butter and whipping cream because I know the results are consistent and top notch.

I’ve made no secret of my love for Darigold, using their heavy whipping cream in many of my recipes and topping it in high mile mounds onto many of my desserts, like my Fresh Lemon Berry Napoleon (perfectly colored for the 4th of July!), and showing you how their Heavy Whipping cream is really a step above the rest in my How To Make Whipping Cream post. Darigold’s unique Chef’s Choice butter is also a cut above the rest because of their unique European vacuum churning process that removes more air than standard churning techniques, allowing for a dense butter with consistent melting and premiere results. As the first company in the country that uses this churning technology, it’s an invaluable tool to make superior butter – used exclusively by many local chefs in their own kitchens.

Tex-Mex Hot Dog - www.countrycleaver.com

So when you’re topping your dogs this 4th of July or baking your famous cakes, make sure you use a brand that is of the highest quality, one that takes pride in their work and supports local farmers and their way of life. What better way to celebrate the greatness of our nation than supporting local businesses and the men, women and families that live off the land? There is no better way.  Happy 4th everyone and I hope it’s a safe and joyous occasion. Now, where’s my hot dog?

Catch up on the rest of the Hot Dog Days of Summer below.

Roasted Poblano Bacon Mac and Cheese Dog

½ cup Cilantro
1 cup canned Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup Salsa
½ cup Darigold Mexican Crema
½ cup Red Onion, diced
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced

Preheat grill, to high. Place peeled corn cobs onto hot grill. Rotate occasionally on grill as the kernels turn golden brown. Remove from grill and allow to cool until able to handle safely. Using knife cut kernels away from the cob and set aside. Keep grill on to grill hot dogs next. Grill hot dogs until cooked through. Remove from grill, set aside.
Toast hot dog buns. Fill hot dog bun with hot dog, top with roasted corn, pinto beans, red onion, bell pepper, salsa, cilantro and Darigold Mexican Crema. Devour immediately.

*Fine Print* This post was sponsored by Darigold. All opinions are my own. All recipes are original.

38 Responses to “Tex-Mex Hot Dogs”

Tieghan — June 28, 2013 @ 3:34 am

TEx-Mex!! Yes, please! These look killer and I LOVE all the toppings! WOW!!

Angie — June 28, 2013 @ 5:32 am

I have throughly enjoyed everyone of these hot dog recipes, amazing!

• Megan replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 7:21 am

Thanks Angie!! Happy grilling this 4th!!

DessertForTwo — June 28, 2013 @ 5:39 am

Your hot dog series makes you my favorite person ever. I LOVE a good hot dog. You have to know me well (and my vegetarian tendencies) to know how funny that is, but trust me: I’m a hot dog lover. I want to make ALL of these!

• Megan replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 7:21 am

That is a huge compliment coming from you!! When you come to the Palouse, lets grill some dogs!!

Karly — June 28, 2013 @ 5:46 am

Oh, thank goodness hot dog week is over. I don’t think I can handle anymore amazingness from you.

Unless you really want to come back with a round 2. I might be up for that.

• Megan replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 7:20 am

This week was such a hit , round two might have to happen!!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — June 28, 2013 @ 6:22 am

Now you are speakin my language!!!

• Megan replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 7:18 am

We are fluent in the language of the hot dog! I love it. Grilled dogs for everyone!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — June 28, 2013 @ 6:27 am

Gaaaaaaaaawwwwl these look good. I need me a hot dog!

• Megan replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 7:15 am

I’ll see if I can I Dream of Jeannie blink one your way ;)

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — June 28, 2013 @ 6:28 am

I seriously cannot even handle this. I want to be teleported to your house and eat this Right Now.

• Megan replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 7:14 am

Come on over!! I still have more hotdogs to grill! Seriously, there are soooo many! Hahah

Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie — June 28, 2013 @ 6:30 am

Hot dogs galore! There are enough recipes here to last me all summer! :)

• Megan replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 7:14 am

That’s what I like to hear!! I’m kinda sad it’s over, I’ve had to much fun with it!

Jaclyn — June 28, 2013 @ 6:31 am

How have you managed to top one recipe right after the other? Awesome recipes this week!

• Megan replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 7:13 am

Thanks Jaclyn! I hope it helps get everyone in the mood for 4th of July! It’s the official start to grilling season after all :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 28, 2013 @ 7:56 am

Are you sure there’s a dog under there? ;)

• Megan replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 8:29 am

There is, but I subscribe to the “top it til you can’t see the hot dog anymore” filling technique ;)

cassie — June 28, 2013 @ 7:59 am

These are some of my favorite flavors EVER. I love hot dog week!!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — June 28, 2013 @ 8:02 am

Whoo hoo for Tex-Mex. A hot dog just for me. I was in love with the poblano one from yesterday but this one is going to be hard to mess with. Which one do I choose?

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — June 28, 2013 @ 9:48 am

Goodness gracious, holy mouthwatering! These look incredible, Megan!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — June 28, 2013 @ 9:50 am

Holy crapamole. I just had a hotdog bar for my sons 2nd birthday, I thought that had some creative ideas..you killed it this week! Cannot WAIT to try some of these out! oh my lordy. Get in mah belly!!

Meri — June 28, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Took these for a test drive last night and holy COW! I shared your hot dog brilliance with my readers here: http://seektobemerry.blogspot.com/2013/06/wise-words-for-your-weekend.html Thanks for the inspiration!

Meri — June 28, 2013 @ 10:04 am

ps- mixed up my dogs. It was poblano mac cheese yesterday, THIS one might have to happen this weekend though!!

• Megan replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 10:09 am

Meri I am THRILLED you liked the dog!! And thanks so much for sharing with your readers :) you officially made my day.

Ruthie Hart (@ruthiehart1) — June 28, 2013 @ 11:09 am

OMG! These look amazing!! What a fun idea!

Carla @ Carlas Confections — June 28, 2013 @ 11:26 am

Ok, when are we getting together and making all of these?! Soon please!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — June 28, 2013 @ 11:26 am

Dude, I love every single thing about this dawg!! We need to have a hot dog party, yo!

Julie @ Table for Two — June 28, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

wowza! i love this tex mex combo you’ve got on the doggies!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — June 28, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

I never even think about dressing up hot dogs like this!

Chineka @ Savor The Baking — June 29, 2013 @ 12:16 am

I love how you made a list of the hot dogs of Summer. Your Tex-Mex hot dog looks awesome and is easy to make. I’ll be giving it a try for dinner one of these days.

Nutmeg Nanny — June 29, 2013 @ 2:22 pm

Holy Moly! This looks fantastic, I am in love with these :)

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — June 29, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

Tex Mex on a hot dog? Why do you have to torture me so when all I have in the fridge is a wilted piece of lettuce. I see a trip to the grocery store in the future.

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — June 29, 2013 @ 9:54 pm

Check out all of those dogs!! Holy smokes, these all look good. Love the Tex-Mex with that heavenly crema!

Aggie — July 1, 2013 @ 7:03 pm

Wowzers, I’m in total hot dog craving mode! They all look fantastic!! I think the one with the poblanos is my favorite!

Janie — July 23, 2013 @ 7:38 pm

What lovely pictures & great recipes! I guess because we live in South Texas, we pretty much layer some of these toppings on our sandwiches, burgers, and hot dogs already! You must try smothering refried beans on the side of the bread (or top with black beans) and topping with avocado, ice berg lettuce & queso fresco or cotija cheese, also delicious!

Lea Ann (Cooking on the Ranch) — February 28, 2014 @ 5:19 am

Saw this on Pinterest and had to come over for a look. Great line up of hot dogs and nice to find you site.