Earl Grey Ice Cream

Earl Grey Ice Cream - www.countrycleaver.com
This was the perfect weekend to devour an entire batch of this Earl Grey Ice Cream, because I came to the conclusion that I am a total and complete hot damn mess and definitely needed to eat my weight in ice cream feelings. I don’t normally think of my self as clumsy – but I proved myself wrong, and I have the banged up toes that I decided to kick into the wall to prove it.

Next, I proved how tragically short my short-term memory is. It’s embarrassing. Wait, where was this post going? Oh right, short term memories…  I went to the store list-less and came back with 99% of the items needed, but naturally the one piece that almost everything hinged on was the one thing I forgot at the store. Not only did it happen – it happened TWICE! *Slow clap for Keno* And nope, the forgetfulness didn’t stop there either because I also got my weekends backwards, flip flopped and switched around, that meant that I missed one of my dearest high school friend’s bridal showers, because I had it in my calendar for next weekend!! WHO AM I?!?!

Earl Grey Ice Cream - www.countrycleaver.com

Hand me a spoon, STAT.

See? Embarrassing. To say that I feel awful is the understatement of the CENTURY!  Have you ever done any of these things? Someone please console me and make me feel less jerky about all this whole scenario. I will be making it up to her next month though, because I am making her wedding cakes! She is a doll and a half, and sharing that little bit of her special day with her and her soon to be hubby means the world to me. July 27th is a day I will NOT forget. It’s in my calendar twice, with every possible and conceivable alarm, bell, horn and trumpet alert that can possibly go off leading up to the event.

Earl Grey Ice Cream - www.countrycleaver.com

On to this ice cream now – because I have to tell you right off the bat – it tastes like FRUIT LOOPS. That’s okay, take it in for a second. I understand it’s a lot to process. Are we good? Yes, I said Fruit Loops. The cereal kind.

When I was growing up, my mom and I would often have a nightly cup of tea together. Her with a cuppa chamomile and me with orange spice with half a bottle of honey sitting on the bottom. It was what we did. Those were times I cherished. The woman is kinda awesome. But I’m also biased.  In college I picked up the Earl Grey sipping habit from my English chemistry TA, who always had a proper cuppa ready to brew for anyone who stopped by. Always cream and always sugar, and that’s when the Fruit Loops epiphany happened.

No. Joke.

Did anyone else eat Fruit Loops as a kid and feel like they chewed on a porcupine if it didn’t sit in the milk long enough? Oh, just me?

Well let’s add totally weird to the list of forgetful and clumsy as words that perfectly describe me. It’s okay I can take it.

And because you’re a weirdo rebel like me, melt some white chocolate and drizzle it over the top. Like the cream in the tea, you just can’t have a proper ice cream or tea without some white based sugar confection in or on it.

You’re welcome.

Earl Grey Ice Cream - www.countrycleaver.com

Try some of these other frozen confections – perfect for summer

Double Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich

Double Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich

Fluffer Nutter Ice Cream with Peanut Butter Magic Shell

Peanut Butter Marshmallow FlufferNutter Ice cream with Peanut Butter Magic Shell

Peach Custard Ice Cream

Peach Custard Ice Cream

Earl Grey Ice Cream

Yield: 1 quart

Total Time: 40 MInutes + Freezing Time

1 pint Whole Milk
1 pint Heavy Cream
4 Earl Grey Tea Bags
1 cup Sugar
1 Tbsp Vanilla
5 Egg yolks

For Ice Cream:
In medium saucepan, heat milk and heavy cream until it begins to gently simmer. Remove from heat and add in tea bags. Allow to steep for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to evenly saturate the tea in the cream. Remove tea bags and discard.

Whisk eggs in large bowl along with the sugar, and then add the hot milk/tea mixture in a slow stream running to temper the egg and sugar mixture. Pour mixture back into saucepan and cook over medium heat until the mixture begins to thicken. Stirring constantly. Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in fridge to chill for at least two hours.

Freeze custard in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Scrape ice cream into freezer safe container and press plastic wrap to the surface of the ice cream. Seal container and freeze until solidified. Freeze about two hours. Serve when frozen through.

45 Responses to “Earl Grey Ice Cream”

Kathryn — June 17, 2013 @ 3:09 am

Stunning ice cream Megan! And don’t worry, I swear that I am totally losing my mind most of the time and can’t remember even the simplest of details. I totally denying that it’s anything to do with old age…

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — June 17, 2013 @ 4:26 am

I have been on an ice cream rage – this sounds incredible!

• Megan replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 8:52 am

You’re allowed to be in an ice cream rage!! Eat up woman!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 17, 2013 @ 4:33 am

We’re so on the same page today – ice cream Mondays win! And I’m totally stealing that styling idea! Love it! :)

• Megan replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 8:53 am

Steal away! I was stealing it from Naomi haha. I always love her ice cream photos, so I tried to recreate it on my own. And Mondays are totally the best day for ice cream.

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — June 17, 2013 @ 4:49 am

I cannot even wrap my mind around this!!

• Megan replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 8:52 am

Oh get your mind wrapping – cause it’s awesome! You won’t even believe it’s tea.

Tieghan — June 17, 2013 @ 5:03 am

Alright, whats the deal? everyone is posting ice cream today. I need some too! Heheh! This looks so good. I actually hate tea, but I am thinking I could probably get on the tea ice cream band wagon!

• Megan replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 8:51 am

If there was ever a way to turn you into a tea fan – I’m gonna send you a spoon and this because seriously it’s not tea-y at all. It’s 110% Fruit Loopy haha

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — June 17, 2013 @ 5:27 am

This sounds so refreshing! Love this idea!

• Megan replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 8:45 am

Thanks Katrina! I’m very fond of it, it’s perfect for summer!

Sheila — June 17, 2013 @ 5:29 am

Your killin’ me Smalls…how am I supposed to keep this 15 off with all your deliciousness! xoxox Sheila

• Megan replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 8:41 am

You just quoted my favorite kids movie of all time!! I love Sandlot!!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — June 17, 2013 @ 5:37 am

I just had an Earl Grey cupcake this weekend and haven’t stopped talking about it since. But ice cream!!! Be still my heart!

• Megan replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 8:40 am

I love Earl Grey cupcakes, too! They’re amazing! If you’re on an Earl Grey kick, then you definitely have to try this.

Bev @ Bev Cooks — June 17, 2013 @ 6:07 am

Um, a) I loved Fruit Loops. and b) I’m weeeeth you on the forgetfulness and c) give me a funnel.

• Megan replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 8:39 am

Let’s eat kids cereal, forget everything and funnel this into our faces. Sounds like a perfect weekend.

Laurie {SimplyScratch} — June 17, 2013 @ 7:23 am

I’ve been waiting for this post!! Ohhh how I love the photos and the recipe… I’ve gotta make this!

• Megan replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 8:24 am

Yes, yes you do. Don’t tell the girls it has tea in it and see if they say it tastes like Fruit Loops. haha Tricky tricky!!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — June 17, 2013 @ 7:31 am

This looks pretty darn tasty! It tastes like fruit loops? Um yes!

• Megan replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 8:24 am

I know, I couldn’t get over it when I realized it tasted like Fruit Loops!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — June 17, 2013 @ 7:49 am

Love the photos of the ice cream! Give me a big bowl with a spoon. I’m ready to dig in!

• Megan replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 8:22 am

After this weekend – I was ready to shovel this ice cream in!! You need a big spoon, cause this stuff is addicting.

cassie — June 17, 2013 @ 8:06 am

Earl Grey ice cream is stinking genius. These photos are STUNNING, too!

• Megan replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 8:21 am

Aww thanks Cassie!! That means a lot coming from you. XOXO!!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — June 17, 2013 @ 8:35 am

Um, hello gorgeous epic photos!! And I am totes making this ice cream!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — June 17, 2013 @ 8:50 am

Oh now this sounds perfect!!!

thelittleloaf — June 17, 2013 @ 9:22 am

This ice cream looks AMAZING and your photos are absolutely stunning. I’ve made tea flavoured ice cream once before and loved it – think I need to make another batch soon!

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — June 17, 2013 @ 11:05 am

Ah yes the mind-numbing forgetfulness. I’ve done this, especially while pregnant..so anything you want to tell us…LOL!

So I’ve made an Earl Grey cake and it was amazing…so ice cream..I’m all over it!!

Winnie — June 17, 2013 @ 11:43 am

I cannot wait to try this! I drink earl grey tea by the pot full and order it in such large quanities sent to my home. I never had icecream made from it. This weekend this is on my list to try. Glad I found you today!

Suzanne — June 17, 2013 @ 12:39 pm

I never was a fan of Earl Grey tea, but maybe I’d like it in ice cream form. Now that fluffernutter ice cream…that’s right up my alley!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — June 17, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

that my sweet friend is some very proper ice cream and I’d gladly sit with you and help you eat all of it haha

Russell at Chasing Delicious — June 17, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

What an incredible ice cream flavor! And lovely shots too!

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — June 17, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

Oh my… this is unreal. I can’t believe how fantastic it looks!

Kristen — June 17, 2013 @ 5:14 pm

Oh my goodness – bloggers are killing me with the ice cream posts this week!

Julie @ Table for Two — June 17, 2013 @ 5:58 pm

oh no!! that’s terrible. i think i would’ve cried….over a bowl of this ice cream, that is. good thing you made this ice cream, i’m sure it would’ve made anyone forgive you plus, i’m sure she understands!! lovely photos!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — June 17, 2013 @ 6:10 pm

My mind has been elsewhere for the past month! Luckily, I have great friends who forgive me for my recent lapse’s in memory. I’ll have to make this ice cream and invite them over for Ice cream Mondays.

monica — June 17, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

oh my goodness…I love this. and you. ;)
    Such a great idea. And the white chocolate, of course.
    I’ll be sorta in your neck of the woods next week! 2 weeks in Gig Harbor. Ya know, in case you happen into town or anything…
    aloha friend!

Linda | The Urban Mrs — June 18, 2013 @ 9:42 am

Gorgeous looking pictures and now I’m so craving for earl grey ice cream and the idea of ice cream Monday :p

DessertForTwo — June 18, 2013 @ 5:27 pm

You’re amazing. This is my favorite flavor ever!

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — June 18, 2013 @ 6:23 pm

Now that is some serious ice cream, just incredible!

Nutmeg Nanny — June 19, 2013 @ 7:20 pm

These photos are just stunning, I am loving this ice cream it looks wonderful!

Cory Hight — March 20, 2014 @ 8:42 pm

I am making this ice cream for the first time tonight, tasting the cream in the pan before it went into the fridge to cool….OH MY GOSH…..I LOVE Earl Grey tea with milk (my husbands parents are from England) and tasting the cream….heaven simply heaven. Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things but the ingredients list calls for Vanilla but no where in the directions does it say to put it in….I realized this after I had mixed the warm cream mixture with the egg yolks and just added it in then. My mouth is watering waiting for the ice cream maker to be done. Thanks so much for the recipe.

1. Pingback: Ingredient of the week: tea | canada.com