Nutella Cream Cheese Turnovers

Nutella Cream Cheese Turnovers - www.countrycleaver.com

Are these dessert or breakfast? I can’t really tell. Turnover implies breakfast, but being slathered in Nutella and puff pastry totally screams dessert. Breakfast, desserts, breakfast, dessert. Thinking is hard. Really I just prefer opening wide and shoving one of these mini nutella cream cheese turnovers into my face hole.

And nope, they’re not fried. So by that very definition that means they’re healthy, right? Healthier? Healthier than what I don’t know, but just roll with it. Get real people! Come to the dark Nutella-y side, you won’t be sorry.

Nutella Turnovers - www.countrycleaver.com

All this chocolate sin and carbing it up is all for a great celebration – that of our friend Jeanne’s, or as you may know her Nana Bread’s, 50th birthday. *blinks* 50, Jeanne? Really? I really gotta ask what the hell is your secret woman? Have you been watching the Cindy Crawford anti aging infomercials again? Geez, maybe I need to get in on that.

Nutella Cream Cheese Turnovers - www.countrycleaver.com

To help you celebrate this fantastic milestone, I wanted to share these Nutella turnovers with you – because well they’re mini pies for the hand pie master, they’re fill of my chocolate spirit animal- Nutella, and they’re carbs. Everything a birthday girl, or really anyone else, needs. It should be a law.

Nutella Cream Cheese Turnovers - www.countrycleaver.com

We’re so thrilled to have you in our lives, our little internet troupe of rebel rousing yahoos. It wouldn’t be the same without you. And for any of you guys out there reading – please, jump on over to say Hi to Jeanne today. If you haven’t met her, you must. She can craft a felt mouse like nobody’s business, her husband is an ice cream making savant – man has mastered the DIY Sweet Cream ice cream for Ben and Jerry’s, and her sense of humor and zest for life is positively infectious. Infectious in a good way, not the eww-what’s-that-on-your-skin kinda way.

She’s your new kindred spirit.

Nutella Cream Cheese Turnovers - www.countrycleaver.com

To keep the party going these other drool worthy creations from these fine ladies

Kirsten’s Orange Cream Pie,

Allison’s Coca Cola Cake,

Beka’s Aged Manhattan,

Madelyn’s Cheesey Chorizo Dip,

Kat’s Guacamole,

Anne’sMexican Vanilla Ice Cream Cones,

Monica’s Tropical Ice Cream,

Katie’s Chocolate Cake with Cooked Flour Frosting,

Lauren’s Mini Key Lime Pies with an Animal Cracker Crust,

Madeline’sFig, Fontina and Pecan Flatbread,

and Carrie’s Coconut Banana Brownie Pie.

Happy birthday Jeanne, we love you and wish you the happiest of birthdays and here’s to another 50, fabulous and flirty years to come.
Nutella Cream Cheese Turnovers - www.countrycleaver.com

Easy Nutella Cream Cheese Turnovers

1 sheet Puff Pastry, thawed
¼ cup Cream Cheese, softened
2/3 cup Nutella, divided
2 Tbsp Flour, for dipping fork to crimp turnover edges
1 Egg
1 Tbsp Water
2 Tbsp Powdered Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
On silicone baking mat, or floured surface, roll out puff pastry into a 12x12 inch square. Cut into 9 equal square shapes.
In bowl, whisk together cream cheese and ½ cup of Nutella until smooth and evenly mixed.
Drop 1 Tbsp of cream cheese/Nutella mixture into the corner of puff pastry. Leave a small edge on the puff pastry so when you fold the squares over the edges can be crimped together. Fold opposite side of the square over the Nutella/cream cheese mixture. Using a fork dipped in flour press the edges of the turnovers with the tines of the fork to seal the edges together.
Places the turnovers onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking sheet. In small dish, whisk together egg and water to make an egg wash. Brush each turnover with the egg wash.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and drizzle with additional warmed Nutella. Serve warm.

46 Responses to “Nutella Cream Cheese Turnovers”

marla — March 7, 2013 @ 5:11 am

I get reaallllllly excited just lookin’ at these beauties! Can only imagine how delish!

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — March 7, 2013 @ 5:27 am

Little internet troupe of rebel rousing yahoos indeed we are! These look awesome and when I think of hand pies I always think if Jeanne!

val — March 7, 2013 @ 5:30 am

How did you know what I wanted for breakfast this morning ?? : ))

Cookin Canuck — March 7, 2013 @ 5:38 am

Yep, I’m going to convince myself that these are healthy. That means that I can eat at least three, right?

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — March 7, 2013 @ 6:17 am

MEGAN! These look crazy good, girl! And I love that you used puff pastry!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — March 7, 2013 @ 6:24 am

HOLY CRAPP!!!!!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — March 7, 2013 @ 6:26 am

What? WHAT? I can’t even deal.

Just feed me.

Katie @ The Hill Country Cook — March 7, 2013 @ 6:33 am

GET. IN. MY. BELLY.

Anne @The Cooking Campaign — March 7, 2013 @ 6:55 am

Is there anything better than Nutella in the morning? I don’t think so!

Anne@FromMySweetHeart — March 7, 2013 @ 7:26 am

Seriously? How did you manage the restraint to even photograph these? The whole batch would have been gone after my first taste test bite! I would eat these any time of day! Fabulous party and I’m so happy to be celebrating our wonderful friend Jeanne today!

Little Kitchie — March 7, 2013 @ 7:34 am

OH MY GOODNESS. These sound absolutely insane! Want, want, want!

Angie @ Big Bear's Wife — March 7, 2013 @ 7:37 am

mmm look at that chocolate drizzle. I’m dying to get my hands on one of these!

Karly — March 7, 2013 @ 7:55 am

These are gorgeous! I make these with just a chunk of Hershey’s chocolate in there and they are so good! Love the Nutella and cream cheese combo!

Yum! I will take all of them! What a perfect tribute to the Queen of Hand Pies!

Jeanne (NanaBread) — March 7, 2013 @ 8:55 am

What? You can BAKE little pies? I had no idea! {wink} These are spectacular. You know how I love tiny pies. Thank you from the bottom of my pie-loving heart, Megan. You and the girls certainly bowled me over with this one. Never saw it coming. I was too distracted by the mailman delivering boxes (which I cannot wait to open). The secret to aging gracefully is to surround yourself with great friends (check), enjoy every moment as much as possible (check), smile as often as you can stand it (check), put a little dab of Vaseline jelly at the outside corner of each eye very night to prevent crows feet (check) and drink as many margaritas as your liver can stand (check check check). Bear hugs to all of you! Love- jeanne

Amber @ Sprinkled With Flour — March 7, 2013 @ 9:26 am

Turnovers are so good, but putting nutella in there? Out of this world! So yummy looking. ;)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — March 7, 2013 @ 11:02 am

Oh my goodness! Dude, this is the BEST! I’m going to have at least one a day every single morning!

Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry — March 7, 2013 @ 11:51 am

If you didn’t fry them then I call these turn overs healthy. Healthy enough to eat for breakfast!

Ashley — March 7, 2013 @ 3:18 pm

I have had puff pastry in my freezer for months and have had no idea what to do with it! So excited to try these.

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — March 7, 2013 @ 3:40 pm

I need these in my life, like now! :) What a great idea!

Kirsten — March 7, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

Dude. Any Non-Fried Pie = Breakfast of Champions in my house. Fried pies must wait until at least lunch. LOVE them!

Laurie {SimplyScratch} — March 7, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

Insane. I’m dying right now!! Happy Birthday Jeanne!!

Amy Tong — March 7, 2013 @ 8:03 pm

May the force be with….Nutella? hahaha….I’m totally belong to the dark side. :P These are definitely perfect for breakfast, dessert, or just anytime treat. I love it that these are healthy-ier! I can eat Nutella straight from the jar with a spoon. So, these are definitely healthier than that, I supposed? hehe….can’t wait to make some.

What a great treat to celebrate a blog friend’s sweet 50!

Maria — March 8, 2013 @ 6:06 am

I NEED these!

Wendy — March 8, 2013 @ 6:44 am

Oh, I can imagine biting into one of these crispy pies with the warm gooey nutella inside. This looks so pretty and sounds so yummy. Time to bake!

Yolanda — March 8, 2013 @ 7:19 am

These sound ohhhhhh so delicious!!!! I wonder would they be good with bananas inside? I think I will have to try :)

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — March 8, 2013 @ 9:41 am

You are now the official Nutella Princess of the Universe. For real.

Shut Up & Cook | The Attainable Gourmet — March 8, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

You seriously MUST be kidding me.

OH-MY-GOD.

I want one (read: 10) right now.

Please send help!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — March 8, 2013 @ 3:10 pm

Tears. of. joy. Brava, lady…brava!

Maya @ Alaska from Scratch — March 8, 2013 @ 8:12 pm

There’s just absolutely no way you can go wrong here – Nutella, puff pastry, cream cheese…. heaven. :)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — March 8, 2013 @ 10:18 pm

These are glorious! And I totally thought they were fried!

Kat — March 9, 2013 @ 4:18 am

Turnovers/hand pies are such a fitting birthday tribute, Megan! Also: from a really selfish standpoint, these look like something I could easily manage to action. They may or may not become a surprise for my co-workers in the next few weeks!

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — March 11, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

I want these right now!

Erin M — May 12, 2013 @ 6:12 pm

Could you possibly substituted wonton or egg roll wrappers instead if a puff pastry?

• Megan replied: — May 12th, 2013 @ 7:05 pm

Hi Erin – Yes, you can use wonton wrappers! Spray them with a little canola oil or an egg-wash so they get crispy and golden brown :)

Adrienne — November 3, 2013 @ 4:17 am

Looks like a perfect treat to take into my office. Do you think I could assemble everything the night before and then pop them into the over in the morning to bake? I don’t want them to lose crispiness or the melted cream cheese factor…

Thanks in advance!

• Megan replied: — November 3rd, 2013 @ 6:20 am

I haven’t tried that myself, but I don’t see why that wouldn’t work! Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

1. Pingback: A Very Happy Virtual 50th Birthday Party for NanaBread! With an Orange Cream Pie and Much More. | Comfortably Domestic

2. Pingback: It’s just a number anyway, right? | Inside NanaBread's Head