Samoas Brownie Parfait with Salted Caramel Sauce

20140124-074157.jpg

Samoas Brownie Parfait with Salted Caramel Sauce - www.countrycleaver.com

It’s almost that time of year again – Girl Scout Cookies are almost here! I maintain that they are probably the next best indicator of the incoming spring - other than Punxatawny Phil being torn from his little den of slumber to tell us if there will be 6 more weeks of winter or not. And to a blessed relief we will actually have an early spring this year! Now if Girl Scout Cookies could come out to a store near us, like now, that would be uber spectacular! But instead of chowing down on them in the traditional way, this year I went a little over board with a Samoas Brownie Parfait with Salted Caramel sauce and Coconut Whipped Cream.

Samoas Brownie Parfait with Salted Caramel Sauce - www.countrycleaver.com

I know. I’m a horrible person. Right? Let’s just collectively pick ourselves up off the floor and shake this one off. Let me tell you, there were no words.

I grew in the Girl Scouts, looking forward every year to camping trips, arts and crafts, horse camp (E.v.e.r.y. YEAR), and of course – Cookie Season.  At the time being a Girl Scout was great fun, but it was also a chance to grow and be apart of a group that revolved around being a kid, developing a curious mind and learning to be proud of who I was and would turn out to be. It never really sank in until I became and adult and realized what an impact those times really had on my life. They weren’t just memories made of being a kid, they were experiences that made me more outgoing, more understanding, well rounded and best of all adventurous in all the things I do – teaching me there was nothing I couldn’t accomplish with gumption and tenacity.

Samoas Brownie Parfait with Salted Caramel Sauce - www.countrycleaver.com

This year the Girl Scouts of Western Washington have teamed up with local Seattle bloggers, like myself, for a recipe contest where we get to flex out muscles and really reach for the stars in creating fun and different recipes with our favorite cookies. Voting will be taking place from February 19th to March 1st here on the Girl Scouts of Western Washington Cookie webpage. Stop by for a visit and vote on your favorite - even mine if you’re so inclined - there are bound to be some amazing creations!

My favorite from the dawn of time has always been (and will always be) Samoas. Between the shortbread cookie, toasted coconut, sticky caramel and the drizzled chocolate - is it any wonder this is the. perfect. cookie?! I thought so!

Baked into the brownie base was lots of rich cocoa and melted chocolate, toasted coconut and you guessed it – chopped up Samoa cookies. Then dolloped on top was sweetened whipped cream laden with coconut flavor and toasted coconut pieces. All topped off with copious amounts of salted caramel sauce to fill in all of the bits that the whipped cream didn’t fill in the first place. Naturally more Samoas were sprinkled all over the place .

Naturally.

Samoas Brownie Parfait with Salted Caramel Sauce - www.countrycleaver.com

Samoa Brownie Parfait with Salted Caramel Sauce

Girl Scout Cookies are back and this dessert is chock full of them, along with coconut whipped cream and salted caramel sauce.

Yield: 4 Parfaits

1 Tbsp Corn Syrup
1/2 cup heavy Whipping Cream
2 Tbsp Butter
1 tsp Sea Salt

Extras:
8-10 Samoa Cookies for garnish, some chopped/some whole
Extra toasted coconut for garnish

Samoas Brownies:
Adjust oven rack to the lower middle position and turn oven to 250 degrees. Line a 9x9 baking sheet with two pieces of aluminum foil to form a sling for easy removal of brownies. Spray foil with non-stick spray. Melt chopped semi-sweet chocolate and cubed butter until smooth. Set aside.
Whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt together. Whisk in warm chocolate into the egg mixture until just combined. Using a spoon, pour in flour and combine batter. Add in toasted coconut and chopped Samoas cookies, stir to combine. Pour into the prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. Bake for 35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the brownies comes out nearly clean, with just a few crumbs hanging on. Allow to cool on a wire rack for at least 90 minutes before removing and cutting into 1" cubes for parfaits. There will be leftover brownies from this recipe.

Coconut Whipped Cream:
Place 1 cup heavy whipping cream into a large bowl or stand mixer bowl. Beat on medium until cream turns frothy. Beat continuously until the cream starts to thicken, slowly whip in sugar and coconut extract. At the very end just before stiff peaks form, add in additional coconut flakes if desired.
Set aside or chill until you are ready to assemble parfaits.

Salted Caramel Sauce:
Stir together sugar, water and corn syrup in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil, gently stirring to ensure all the sugar has melted. Boil until the mixture turns a dark golden brown, About 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and VERY carefully and very slow stir the cream into the mixture, being sure to stir constantly. BE VERY CAREFUL, the sauce will sputter and expand - but keep stirring. Once combined, add the salt and butter and continue stirring until both are completely melted and combined. Cool to room temperature.

To Assemble:
In bowls, ramekins or stemless wine glasses, dollop a bit of whipped cream into the bottom. Top with cut brownies and bits of chopped Samoa cookie. Drizzle with salted caramel sauce. Repeat process again until parfait reaches the top of the dish. Top with extra toasted coconut and one whole Samoa cookie. Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.

Salted Caramel Sauce adapted from Bakingdom and Brownies adapted from America's Test Kitchen

*fine print* I was given 5 boxes of cookies by the GSoWW to create this recipe. I was not compensated for this post.

56 Responses to “Samoas Brownie Parfait with Salted Caramel Sauce”

Allison Day — February 13, 2013 @ 4:06 pm

Oh my goodness, this sounds amazing! Samoas always were my favorite. ^_^

Question… do you think one box of Samoas would be enough to make this recipe?

Jeanne (NanaBread) — February 13, 2013 @ 4:27 pm

Owuh mah guhd. {thud}

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} — February 13, 2013 @ 5:03 pm

I have no words. Samoas are by far my favorite Girl Scout cookie. You’ve outdone yourself for sure.

• Megan replied: — February 13th, 2013 @ 7:18 pm

Samoas are the best aren’t they? I mean why buy any other GS cookie, ever?

Lauracyw — February 13, 2013 @ 5:10 pm

oh my! i have no words….

• Megan replied: — February 13th, 2013 @ 7:18 pm

There really aren’t. It just means you HAVE to make one hahah To confirm that there are no words. It’s like science.

Julie @ Table for Two — February 13, 2013 @ 5:51 pm

um. holy sh!t

• Megan replied: — February 13th, 2013 @ 7:17 pm

I KNOW!! I’m a terrible person. I had to split one of these parfaits with Ben. It was so good, I almost had to unbutton my jeans with one!

Heather @ Heather's Dish — February 13, 2013 @ 6:20 pm

Woman. I love you.

The end. :)

• Megan replied: — February 13th, 2013 @ 7:17 pm

Right back at cha doll face!! :)

Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry — February 13, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

I might have fallen out of my chair when I saw this. Holly Molly! I want a Samoas Brownie Parfait for dinner.

• Megan replied: — February 13th, 2013 @ 7:15 pm

I might have fallen out of my chair when I ate this. haha It’s a common side effect of eating these.

DessertForTwo — February 13, 2013 @ 8:15 pm

Soooo. I feel like this is the type of dessert only a single girl on Valentine’s Day could get away with eating. But crap. I’m not single. Maybe we could pretend for 7 minutes, while I inhale both servings?!

windykitchen — February 13, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

OK. This wins the prize for most mouth-watering thing I have seen on the internet all day. And trust me, I have looked at a lot of internet.

Bev @ Bev Cooks — February 14, 2013 @ 5:06 am

ooooooo.mmmmmmmm.gggggggggg.

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — February 14, 2013 @ 5:42 am

I love the Girl Scouts (Girl Guides in Canada) program! It really helps girls to grow up and learn how to be self-sufficient.
    I could totally dive into this parfait head first and wouldn’t even bother coming up for air. Yummmo!

Megan — February 14, 2013 @ 7:08 am

I want this for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert.
    o.m.g.

Kelli H — February 14, 2013 @ 7:13 am

These look like heaven.

Tasha @ Homemade — February 14, 2013 @ 7:57 am

Why have you done this …. whhhhhyyyyyyy ..now I’m looking all over for those girl scouts!!!!

katie — February 14, 2013 @ 8:03 am

This parfait looks amazing! We just got a few boxes of Girl Scout Cookies and I’m dieing to transform them into something. Good luck on the contest!!!

Ann — February 14, 2013 @ 8:05 am

These look incredible! I am so happy a friend is bringing her daughter over tomorrow to sell cookies!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — February 14, 2013 @ 8:07 am

This is like my husband’s ultimate Valentine’s Day gift. ohmyfreakinggoosness

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — February 14, 2013 @ 8:15 am

HOOK A SISTER UP! that’s all I have to say. Except Happy Valentine’s Day. Now I’m done. :x

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — February 14, 2013 @ 8:27 am

SO MUCH COOKIE. Ah. I want to curl up next to that and cuddle.

Carlas Confections — February 14, 2013 @ 8:50 am

Holy parfait, these are goooooooorgeous! I sure hope you win sweet lady! Can I just lick the whole thing clean for you?

Jackie @ The Beeroness — February 14, 2013 @ 9:11 am

Now this is all I can think about.
    You bitch ;)

Cassie | Bake Your Day — February 14, 2013 @ 10:18 am

I bought my first box last weekend – those cute little girls stopped me on my way out of the grocery store and there was no hope for me, had to get a box, brought them home and made some cupcakes with them. I LOVE these parfaits!

Wendy — February 14, 2013 @ 11:28 am

Until I saw this parfait, I never thought of doing anything other than eat Girl Scout cookies straight from the box. Now this parfait is all I can think about! What a fun contest….but it seems you have already won :)

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — February 14, 2013 @ 11:41 am

DAMN!!! THIS is why I love you!

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — February 14, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

I need to get my hands on a box of Samoas. This looks incredible!

Kathryn — February 14, 2013 @ 2:30 pm

I can’t tell you how much I want one of these parfaits. There are no words. No words at all.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — February 14, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

Oh guuuuurrrrl, no you didn’t!!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — February 14, 2013 @ 8:29 pm

Girl Scout cookie season should be considered a real season…and the best season. It’s no mystery that samoas are the best and putting them in a brownie is an instant life-improver. Where you get your ideas, I don’t know but your ideas and I should hang! ;)

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — February 15, 2013 @ 6:30 am

Oh man. these are my favorite cookies. This looks incredible.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — February 15, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

I seriously want to hide in a closet and stuff my face with these. No sharing allowed! I’ll be hunting girl scouts soon!!! I hate that the rest of the country already has cookies.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 15, 2013 @ 2:54 pm

Samoas lovers unite! This parfait looks absolutely amazing, Megan. I can’t think of a more delicious, decadent dessert!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking — February 18, 2013 @ 6:47 pm

Girl, you have outdone yourself again! This is the ultimate girl scout dessert. Samoas cookies are the BEST and paired with brownies, cream and extra caramel it’s out of this world good! I’d hide in the closet and eat them alone
    Thanks for sharing Megan

• Megan replied: — February 18th, 2013 @ 7:39 pm

Thanks Roxana!! And thanks so much for pinning the samoas recipe, too! XOXO!! :) You’re the sweetest!

alex — February 19, 2013 @ 1:48 pm

Is there anything better than a parfait?? so many great treats in one dessert…great job on the contest!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — February 21, 2013 @ 7:22 am

As far as I’m concerned, there’s no better cookie than a Samoa. They’re truly the bomb diggity! I could go craaaaazy over these parfaits and would def. not be trustworthy around one or all of them.

brandi — February 22, 2013 @ 7:48 am

holy moly, this looks incredible! too bad i can’t find any girl scouts around here

JanetFCTC — February 24, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

I think I want this for dinner tonight…and tomorrow…and the next day… and maybe the next twelve or so. :-D

Steph — February 25, 2013 @ 5:29 pm

I’m seeing this in my trifle bowl… thank YOU!!!!

Emily S — March 11, 2013 @ 5:58 pm

unfortunately, Keebler makes “Coconut Dreams” which you can buy year round. Yay and DAMMIT! I concur that they are very close and tasty.

Jocelyn@ BruCrew Life — June 20, 2013 @ 9:41 pm

I absolutely love the Samoas cookies too…the coconut and caramel just gets me every time. But this parfait? Holy cow!!! It is absolutely fantastic looking! I’m dying over here!!!

Nicky — July 15, 2013 @ 3:44 am

OMG, I cant wait to try this at the dinner party that Im hosting next week!!!

Carly — September 25, 2013 @ 3:28 pm

I tried to make these but they did not turn out right. Did you mean to put 350 in stead of 250? I had mine in the over well over an hour trying to cook them on 250. Also how much salt?

Maggie @ Mama Maggie's Kitchen — January 24, 2014 @ 10:04 am

I might have died into dessert heaven. That just looks amazing. I MUST share this!

1. Pingback: Review of February 2013 | Once in a Blue Spoon

2. Pingback: Your Questions About Gardening | gardenerscardiff.co.uk

3. Pingback: Country Cleaver S'mores Graham Krispie Treats and Tuesday (Wedding) Things » Country Cleaver

4. Pingback: Quick Cream Cheese Danishes | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts

5. Pingback: Samoas Brownie Parfait with Salted Caramel Sauce

6. Pingback: BruCrew Top Ten - Inside BruCrew Life

7. Pingback: Country Cleaver Samoas Cupcakes with Coconut Buttercream » Country Cleaver

8. Pingback: Country Cleaver Samoas No-Bake Cheesecake » Country Cleaver