How To Tuesday – How to Poach an Egg and Avocado Benedict

Avocado Eggs Benedict and How To Poach an Egg - www.countrycleaver.com

Poached eggs are the best type of egg. Ever. This is a statement of fact and thus, not debatable. I should tweet it to Uber Facts and see if they accept it and help me spread it around the Twittersphere, getting hundreds of retweets from people who are smart and believe the same thing I do. And if you do not yet know if poached eggs are for you. Well, is breathing for you? In that case, poached eggs are totally for you. And learning how to poach an egg is absolutely for you!

Avocado Eggs Benedict and How To Poach an Egg - www.countrycleaver.com

I’m here to spread the word of these buttery eggs, these eggs on high with their delicate whites and yolks made of butter. The only thing that might rival my obsession with poached eggs is my new fangled obsession with everything mint. Robin’s egg blue? Puhh-leeze, move on over – everything is coming up mint here people. After a shopping trip to Target with a friend I ended up dumping everything in my basket out at the register and realized – it was all pastel green. The tank top, the nail polish and the new t-shirt. When I get a full blown blog redesign done and it’s all mint – you can commit me. I can’t be stopped.

Avocado Eggs Benedict and How To Poach an Egg - www.countrycleaver.com

And if that is any indication of the rivalry that mint and poached eggs have on me, I’m half surprised on not in the fetal position on the floor cuddled up with Huck trying to get away from me. Come back HUCKkkkkk!!!

After a classic case of the Monday’s yesterday, I had to do this how-to before the light went down and after the first fork full of poached egg went into my face – the whole afternoon turned around.

It probably also had something to do with the remaining opened bottle of bubbly from the weekend that HAD to be consumed before it went flat. Champagne and poached eggs? It’s totally a thing.

Learning how to poach an egg is much easier than you think and with a couple of simple tricks you do it with one spatula tied in your apron strings.

Into a large sauté pan that is at least three inches deep, bring your water to a heavy simmer. The biggest key I found was adding 1 teaspoon of vinegar to the water. This effectively lowers the pH of the water and helps keep the egg whites together so you’re not poaching in a cloudy milk water.

Avocado Eggs Benedict and How To Poach an Egg - www.countrycleaver.com

Next, crack your eggs into shallow dessert bowls or ramekins. I adore my Fiestaware fruit bowls because they have a swooping edge that pours the egg into the water instead of Plopping it in an separating the yolks and whites.

Avocado Eggs Benedict and How To Poach an Egg - www.countrycleaver.com

Once your water is simmering, ever so gently slip the edge of the ramekin into the simmering water and gently pour the egg into the water. The beauty of the saute pan is that the egg doesn’t have to fall very far and risk pulling apart the whites – they just settle at the bottom together nicely.

IMG_1087

Someone please acknowledge that is was very difficult to do this all while looking through a camera lens. I mean, holy crap – no pressure!

Avocado Eggs Benedict and How To Poach an Egg - www.countrycleaver.com

Gently use a spoon to fold the white around the yolk if they have started to stray too far. This is a no wake zone people – so move slowly through the water. Much jostling will disrupt the zen here.

Avocado Eggs Benedict and How To Poach an Egg - www.countrycleaver.com

Let it simmer for about 2 minutes, or until the whites set, and then gingerly lift it out of the water and allow the remaining water to drip away.

IMG_1091

Slip it onto the top of a toasted english muffin slathered in avocado, topped with pan fried Canadian bacon and a poached egg. Ohhhh, MAMA!! This was gone in 2.72 seconds, thanks for asking. I have an uncanny ability to unhinge my jaw like a snake for poached eggs. No egg or benedict is safe. Now go forth and poach!!

Avocado Eggs Benedict and How To Poach an Egg - www.countrycleaver.com

For other How-To Tuesday’s check out this whole list here! Including how to brown butter, make multigrain bread and chicken stock – to name a few!

Avocado Eggs Benedict

A quick eggs benedict with fresh avocado

Cook Time: 10 Mintes

4 Eggs
2 English Muffins, toasted
4 Slices Canadian Bacon, pan fried or heated up
½ Avocado
Salt and Pepper
Lemon Wedge for juice
1 tsp Vinegar, for poaching eggs

In large saute pan that is about 3 inches deep and filled with water at least 2 inches deep, bring water to a steady simmer. Add in 1 teaspoon of vinegar and stir to combine. Crack each egg into a separate ramekin or small dish.
When water is simmering, place edge of ramekin into the water and gently slip each egg into the water. With a large spoon, very gently maneuver the egg whites towards the yolk. Allow eggs to poach in water for about 2 minutes or until the egg whites have set. Remove with large spoon, and drain away excess water.
Toast english muffins, spread on avocado, top with one slice Canadian bacon per side of english muffin. Top each side with a poached egg. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and spritz with lemon if desired. Serve immediately.

25 Responses to “How To Tuesday – How to Poach an Egg and Avocado Benedict”

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — February 12, 2013 @ 4:52 am

YUM!!!! I can’t wait to go forth and poach!!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — February 12, 2013 @ 5:43 am

I love it. I think this is what I am having for breakfast today. I’ve been on an egg kick lately!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — February 12, 2013 @ 5:53 am

I want a breakfast re-do after reading this. Gahhh…this looks so good! And seriously…the camera + poaching skills are ridic. I refuse to do step by step photos of recipes b/c the thought of the one handed picture taking while cooking is just too much for me and gives me anxiety just thinking about it. So props to you on this one!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — February 12, 2013 @ 6:13 am

I am officially impressed by your ability to hold a camera in one hand and POACH A FREAKING EGG in the other! That is some serious talent! ;)

Also, I want to unhinge my jaw and devour both of those benedicts at the same time. YUM.

Dan "Dirty Hands" Jensen — February 12, 2013 @ 6:34 am

Impressive work with the camera :)
    1 trick i was taught was to make a whirlpool in the pan then put the egg in the center i’ll have to try the zen method to see which comes out best.

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — February 12, 2013 @ 6:41 am

Gurrrrrrrrl, you just made my day! I so needed this how-to! Now, I can’t wait to whip up brunch this weekend!!!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — February 12, 2013 @ 6:51 am

f.la.w.l.e.s.s. jawb!

Pam Capone — February 12, 2013 @ 8:13 am

I love poached eggs and Eggs Benedict is my favorite breakfast. I will try eggs benedict every which way.

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — February 12, 2013 @ 9:03 am

MUST make!!! I’m dying over here.

Amy @Very Culinary — February 12, 2013 @ 9:07 am

Acknowledged! Damn, I can barely handle step by step photos when nothing is moving. Bravo.

Carla @ Carla's Confections — February 12, 2013 @ 9:56 am

Oh my heavens this is beautiful!!! Don’t worry we won’t commit you just yet ;) we don’t want to miss out on more of these beauties!

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — February 12, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

You’re right, poached is the way to go…on top of a juicy burger!!

Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry — February 12, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

I just recently mastered frying an egg so the next step is to learn how to poach them and your step by step photos make it look easy. Plus I kinda have a hankering for Avocado Eggs Benedict now.

Barbara | Creative Culinary — February 12, 2013 @ 5:35 pm

Perfect timing…as in Breakfast for Dinner! I have a nice egg poacher but it seems too easy (not sure why that bothers me) so have to give this a try. I haven’t poached an egg in water like this since I was a kid; hoping it’s like riding a bike!

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — February 12, 2013 @ 9:58 pm

Great tips and I love that you added avocado!

Sarah — February 4, 2014 @ 10:27 am

Another little trick that keeps the egg whites close is to create a mini whirlpool with a spoon in the pan before tipping your egg gently into the middle of it ;)

1. Pingback: Country Cleaver How to Season Cast Iron Pans

2. Pingback: Country Cleaver How To Tuesday - Make Whipped Cream » Country Cleaver

3. Pingback: Country Cleaver How To Tuesday - How to Crack and Separate the Perfect Egg » Country Cleaver

4. Pingback: Country Cleaver How To Tuesday : Roast Peppers » Country Cleaver

5. Pingback: Country Cleaver How To Tuesday : How to Infuse Vodka » Country Cleaver

6. Pingback: Country Cleaver How-To Tuesday - Whip Egg Whites » Country Cleaver

7. Pingback: Country Cleaver Roasted Brussels Sprout & Proscuitto Pasta » Country Cleaver

8. Pingback: Country Cleaver Cheesy Polenta with Roasted Broccoli and Steak » Country Cleaver

9. Pingback: Country Cleaver How To Grill a Steak Without a Grill » Country Cleaver