Quick and Simple Cheese Danish

How is it that men regress from nearly 30 to 3 as soon as the sniffles hit? It’s like the Benjamin Button of Sniffles! Is this a thing? It must be. I’m now officially taking a poll.

Along with taking care of a grown sick man-baby, I had to cook alot this weekend. Like these cheese danishes, oh darn. All that cooking was okay, because when I cook I have reruns of Downton Abbey (OMGERD who watched the season premiere last night?! Gasp, faint, die!) and girly movies that I watched on Friday nights back in college while going wrist deep into a bag of chocolate chips and peanut butter playing in the background on a continuous loop. Lucky for me, I had a captive audience in which to watch Julie and Julia, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and Letters to Juliet with. Poor Ben. Yay me!

Since it was the first time for Ben to see most of these movies – he particularly identified with Julie and Julia. Or rather, he particularly identified with Julie’s husband, as he watches her meltdown on the kitchen floor over her inability to truss a bird, boil a lobster, or watch the havoc that gelatinous aspics wreak on plumbing. Yes, I too have wondered why no one makes them anymore… NOT.

And something about how I do all the cooking and I’m suppose to go make this month’s Costco run all by myself and walk the dog might have come up in our, ahem, conversation.

But after all that it made me even more thankful that we watch it and learn from it together… or so would say a therapist. Marital bliss, its a thing. He rolled his eyes, I pinched him in the ribs once or twice (fine, three times) for judging me and my hormonally driven movies choices (which I take Very personally thank you.) and he ate whatever creation I plopped down in front of him. He knows what’s good for him.

Lucky for him he sustained no further bodily injury and he rather enjoyed these quick and simple cheese danishes. And so did I. Gosh, I love being married.

And just to be nice – I let him watch a few episodes of House, and the Seahawks versus Redskins game, too. I’m not heartless.

Now onto a serious topic, carbs.

These danishes were prep to bake to face in 30 minutes. Most of the things you will probably have in your kitchen right now, save the puff pastry, but that’s widely available so it wouldn’t be hard to source. They’re crispy, flaky, golden, delicious and creamy all at the same time – and a total crowd pleaser. Perfect for Sunday football brunches. Can you have a girly football brunch? If so, I’d like to make that happen. I’m sure its a necessity to have bloody Mary’s involved somehow

Quick and Simple Cheese Danishes

A quick cheese danish made with puffy pastry. Easy for brunches, desserts or just because.

Yield: 6 Danishes

1 sheet Puff Pastry dough, thawed
8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
1 tsp Lemon Zest
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
4 Tbsp Sugar
1 Egg + 2 Tablespoons water, whisked for egg wash

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet.

On a lightly floured surface roll out thawed puff pastry into a 12x9" rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise, yielding 2 4-½" strips. Cut those two strips crosswise into thirds, to yield six 4x4 ½" pieces.
With a knife, score ½" border around the edge of each piece of puff pastry. Use a fork to make five or six pricks into the dough within the border of each piece. This will help keep the middle of each piece from rising.

In a bowl, stir together softened cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest. Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of mixture into the middle of each piece of dough and spread around evenly, ensuring the mix stays within the borders.
Bake for 20 minutes, on the middle rack and rotate the baking sheet half way through baking. Remove from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or room temperature. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.

Adapted from America's Test Kitchen Quick Cookbook Easy Danishes

40 Responses to “Quick and Simple Cheese Danish”

Kathryn — January 7, 2013 @ 4:14 am

I can’t believe how quick & easy these are! They look so delicious. And good on you for educating Ben in the ways of chick flicks ;)

DessertForTwo — January 7, 2013 @ 5:06 am

Mmmmm danish! I love these things! I loveh ow easy they are-thanks :)

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — January 7, 2013 @ 5:26 am

a) I LOVE cheese danish. Thanks for this! b) My husband is currently sick and I was just thinking that EXACT same thing to myself yesterday…why are they suddenly grown babies? Let me know if you ever figure out the answer to that one! ;)

bridget {bake at 350} — January 7, 2013 @ 6:03 am

Oh, if you only knew my love for the cheese danish. And, I’ve never EVER made them!!! The horror! I think you’ve just changed that.

PS…thank you for no spoilers on Downton Abbey. I just started Season 2 and am almost afraid to look at the internet today. ;)

Tina | My Life as a Mrs — January 7, 2013 @ 6:53 am

oh girl… this looks AWESOME! I’m a cheese addict & this is calling out to me… ;)

Amanda — January 7, 2013 @ 6:57 am

Yum!! These look so delicious, not to mention simple too.

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — January 7, 2013 @ 8:08 am

I LOVE DANISHESSSS!! Did I spell that right? I love these.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — January 7, 2013 @ 9:16 am

So true…men act like it’s the end of the world when they have a cold! Hope your man feels better soon :)

These danishes look delicious! Pretty sure I’d devour all 6!

Erika Monroe-Williams- The Hopeless Housewife — January 7, 2013 @ 9:35 am

YUM!! These look delicious! “crispy, flaky, golden, delicious and creamy all at the same time” You have me sold, I will have to try these!!

mary — January 7, 2013 @ 9:36 am

Oh this danish looks to die for! I love your movie choices – and yes wasn’t Downton epic last night!!!!!
    Mary x

Sarah @ Miss CandiQuik — January 7, 2013 @ 10:03 am

definitely making these this weekend. My saturday morning is planned: coffee with these cheese danishes…can’t wait.

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — January 7, 2013 @ 10:35 am

I have a feeling that watching Julie and Julia with you would be entertaining! :D I’ll do anything that gives me an excuse to eat cream cheese, though!

Lauren @ Climbnig Grier Mountain — January 7, 2013 @ 10:40 am

Yes and yes! I’m seriously crushin’ on these dansihes!:)

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — January 7, 2013 @ 10:59 am

Ha! Wait until you have a kid, then you will have two sick babies and a dog to take care of. Never mind you will probably be sick too, but that will be a low priority. Oh, BTW I’ve been wondering about Netflixing the first Downtown Abbey season, yes?

Bobbi @ Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen — January 7, 2013 @ 3:36 pm

You have no idea how much I love you for posting this recipe!! I LOVE cheese danish!! My waistline might not end up loving you but my mind and taste buds sure do!!!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — January 7, 2013 @ 5:01 pm

Goooorgeous. I want a whole plate of these!

Julie @ Table for Two — January 7, 2013 @ 6:47 pm

these will slowly be the death of me. i would not be able to refuse them if you shoved them in front of me.

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — January 7, 2013 @ 7:06 pm

I love cheese Danishes! My dad use to get us donuts every Sunday growing up and I was the weirdo in the family who wanted these! Haha. Dusty totally relates to the husband in Julie and Julia. Especially the other night when I had a meltdown after smoking out the apartment cooking salmon that ended up raw in the end and I threw it in the microwave and cried! Hahaha! Oh cooking, men and food blogging! Love this post!

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — January 7, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

Who knew a homemade cheese danish was so easy! Lovely for an easy Sunday afternoon!

Carol | a cup of mascarpone — January 8, 2013 @ 5:49 am

I couldn’t wait for your post as soon as I saw these on Instagram! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!

Paula - bell'alimento — January 8, 2013 @ 3:35 pm

This is kinda genius.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — January 10, 2013 @ 3:09 pm

oh I want to DEVOUR that! I love cream cheese danish and love that you used puff pastry for it. Such a nice saver. Love the stuff!

SharonaMay — January 13, 2013 @ 11:47 am

Your danish looks amazing! Never tried to make a danish before.

thanks

whitneygoller — February 25, 2013 @ 9:36 pm

Check out my latest post about comfort foods where I include this recipe!

whitney goller

Kristin — February 28, 2013 @ 6:05 am

I’m super excited about these. They are in the oven right now, at 9 a.m. on a Thursday morning, because I couldn’t wait until the weekend to try them. I was looking for the step with the egg wash and didn’t see it. I just brushed the borders (outside the filling) with the egg before popping them in the oven. Hope I guessed right! Is that step missing from the instructions?

• Megan replied: — February 28th, 2013 @ 6:52 am

And now I am totally craving these!! I hope you enjoy them Kristin!! :)

Sue — March 31, 2013 @ 11:49 am

I made these and they did not turn out so good. I have never used pastry puff before and I am not familiar with using it. I made them and used the egg wash around the edges. They came out dry like matza crackers,
    are you suppose to wet the pastry puff or do something to it before starting? Something about the crust wasn’t right.

• Megan replied: — March 31st, 2013 @ 11:55 am

Hi Sue – Yes, Puff pastry is drier and flakier than traditional danish dough, it doesn’t have all the butter in it that traditional danish dough has. These are meant to be faster to make, so they’re not precise to the original buttery cheese danish. Give puff pastry another chance, it’s very versatile and can be used in a lot of fun ways, like savory or other sweet recipes :) Let me know if you have any other questions! ~Megan

Peggy P — December 23, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

These look wonderful and would love to make them. Can you tell me when/where the egg wash comes in? Thanks! ~Peggy

Lea @ Lea's Cooking — January 4, 2014 @ 11:31 pm

Yummy! I love puff pastries recipes. Love the addition of lemon zest to the filling. :)

Denise E. — June 8, 2014 @ 6:08 pm

I work in a hospital kitchen and have to come up with a breakfast pastry and I tried these, they sold like hotcakes and they were super easy thanks for the recipe.

Tanya — July 13, 2014 @ 6:42 am

I just made these…mmm mmm good!! I followed recipe exactly! I think a great alternative and probably less calories then a real cheese danish! A Keeper!

Gloria Cross — July 21, 2014 @ 9:00 am

These were so good, I’m about to make another batch and add raspberries to the filing!

MK — July 29, 2014 @ 3:42 pm

Did you use the egg wash? I see it listed in the ingredients, but I don’t see it mentioned in the directions.

1. Pingback: Country Cleaver Brown Butter White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies with Coconut » Country Cleaver

2. Pingback: weekend reflection – . D a n d y L i o n .

3. Pingback: Country Cleaver How To Tuesday: DIY Puff Pastry » Country Cleaver

4. Pingback: Yummy Quick and Easy Cheese Danish

5. Pingback: Country Cleaver 25 Best Sinfully Simple Recipes of 2013

6. Pingback: 50 Easy to Make Breakfast Recipes - Chocolate Chocolate and More!