How-To Tuesday – How To Brown Butter

I think we have firmly established that brown butter is the cure all for E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. – like bad days, the sniffles, an adorable dog who pesters you into near submission with the world’s most pathetic seal eyes all in an effort to gain the second spot on the couch where the boss man says is off limits to the fur baby. Little does he know that I might have let Huck up there a night or two ago…with a blanket on the couch of course. Shhh, just don’t tell Ben.

But enough about my ridiculously gooby labradork, you’re here to talk Butter – and I’m 110% okay with that.

Brown butter, the most coveted of butters for its nutty and toffee like aroma and flavor, is easier to make at home than you think! I promise. The most important part of browning butter is that it has your undivided attention. Now is not the time for you to go and do your nails, or take the dog for walk or fold that laundry that has been sitting on your chair for a week. Guilty.

Start with a heavy bottomed sauce pan or saute pan over medium heat. Cube butter to ensure it all melts evenly and some butter doesn’t begin to simmer before the rest of it has melted. Once melted, the butter will start to simmer. With a whisk in hand continuously whisk butter to ensure none of it settles on the bottom of the pan for too long.

As the butter begins to simmer, it will start to foam – which is completely normal. Continue whisking and you will start to see the color of the butter turn from yellow to a tan color and then to golden brown. As this color of the butter solids change and toast, the smell will start to change to a nutty and toffee like aroma. This is MONEY! Butter money.

When the deep golden brown color has been reached, immediately remove from the heat and pour into a bowl you have sitting aside.  If you start to see super dark brown or black flecks in the butter, discard it and start again. There is no shame in it – all brown butter-ers have been there before. And if practice makes perfect you’ll be able to whip up a batch of brown butter in no time and rocking the socks off of all your friends and impress your formerly un-impressable mother in law.

Use this brown butter right away, or store in the fridge in an airtight container for future use.

Money. Butter money.

Check out last week’s first installment of How-To Tuesday - How To Make Multi Grain Bread.

Here are a few more Brown Butter-Tastic Recipes for you to test you new skills on -

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies – Country Cleaver

Brown Butter and Caramelized Onion Mashed Cauliflower – Running to the Kitchen

Brown Butter Bundt Cakes – Country Cleaver

Brown Butter and Sea Salt Cereal Bars – Bran Appetit

Brown Butter Grilled Beer Cheese Sandwich – The Beeroness

How To Brown Butter

Easy steps for perfect brown butter, every time.

Yield: 1 cup

1 cup Butter

In medium sauce pan with heavy bottom. Melt butter over medium heat. Whisking constantly, allow butter to come to a simmer. Continue whisking until butter foams and begins turning a golden brown color. When the butter turns from a butter yellow to golden brown and smells nutty and like toffee, remove immediately from stove and pour into a bowl to begin cooling.
Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge and use when solid.

33 Responses to “How-To Tuesday – How To Brown Butter”

Antonia @ Health Inspirations — January 15, 2013 @ 4:33 am

I don’t tend to like the taste of plain butter that much but as you said brown butter is just so much better. I love it on top of my pasta with basil and lots of parmesan. Amazing!

brandi — January 15, 2013 @ 5:02 am

great how to, girl! i love brown butter.

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — January 15, 2013 @ 5:17 am

Brown butter is so delicious, it’s almost sickening! I’m really glad you posted this how-to! Browning butter is something that some people don’t tackle because it seems so easily screwed up. And this is a perfect lesson!

Cookin Canuck — January 15, 2013 @ 5:36 am

Ah yes, you can never, ever have enough brown butter in your life. The nutty flavor takes baked goods, gnocchi dishes and fish recipes to a whole new level.

NanaBread (Jeanne) — January 15, 2013 @ 5:55 am

I love this, but I consider it dangerous because I will now want to Brown Butter All The Things. I think I’ll start with shortbread cookies. Or potato pancakes. :D

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — January 15, 2013 @ 6:45 am

Oh brown butter. I would stick my face square into that.

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — January 15, 2013 @ 9:34 am

This is pretty much an essential skill. And I kind of want to take a bath in this.

Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats — January 15, 2013 @ 10:06 am

I wish you could let everyone know how AMAZING it smells over the blog…wouldn’t that be cool? Love your how-to posts!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — January 15, 2013 @ 3:15 pm

What an excellent How-To post, Megan! Very thorough and your photos depict brown butter just as sexy as it really is. I swear, I can smell your brown butter clear over to Indy! Nice to meet you and happen upon your blog via tweets with Shanna and Barb today. xo

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — January 15, 2013 @ 5:55 pm

Browned butter is the best!

Katie @ The Hill Country Cook — January 15, 2013 @ 8:12 pm

Ah HA, it must be the continuous whisking that I am forgetting!! I’ll need to try this again. Tilley feels bad for Huck right now, because she is curled up on the couch next to me. Poor Huck, a blanket works good to keep the dog hair off!! I’m sending poor, neglected Huck a big ol’ hug right now…. :) Ambitious Kitchen makes some good brown butter recipes too. Can’t wait to TRY!!!

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — January 16, 2013 @ 5:34 am

I can not even tell you how many comments and emails I have gotten over time asking me how to brown butter. Love your tutorial!

Kathryn — January 16, 2013 @ 5:43 am

Such a great how-to, thanks lovely!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — January 16, 2013 @ 6:15 am

great how-to post – I get this question a lot and now I will refer people over here. :)

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — January 16, 2013 @ 7:15 am

I LOVE THIS!! I don’t eat butter often but when I do, this is one of my favorite ways!!

Heidi @foodiecrush — January 16, 2013 @ 7:26 am

One of my favorite things EVER to eat in gnocchi in browned butter. I think we should all get a reminder of how to make it so we can cook it every single day.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — January 16, 2013 @ 9:17 am

Brown butter and me are the best of friends! :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — January 16, 2013 @ 10:18 pm

Awesome tutorial! Brown butter is my mecca :)

Joanne — January 17, 2013 @ 4:04 am

I was SO afraid of brown butter for the longest time..but it really is so easy! And a total game-changer. it’s made my life better, for sure.

Carol | a cup of mascarpone — January 17, 2013 @ 8:20 am

Thank you so much for this wonderful how-to with great photos for each stop!!! I needed this!!!

Karly — January 17, 2013 @ 9:00 am

Is there anything more delicious that browned butter? Looooove.

Jessica — January 17, 2013 @ 11:03 am

Just pinned this! Awesome How-To Megan! :)

Julia {The Roasted Root} — January 17, 2013 @ 7:59 pm

YES! I finally know how to brown butter! I’ve never tried it nor anything with brown butter in it, so I’m excited to give it a go….everyone seems to love it so I’m sure I’ll get addicted lickety split. Love the How-To Tuesday series!

Dottie — January 27, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

Which kide of butter, salted or unsalted? Or does it matter? Your instructions are great, as are the photos. Can’t wait to try it in my chocolate caramel cookie recipe. I’ll bet they will be even more fabulous!

• Megan replied: — January 27th, 2013 @ 8:00 pm

Hi Dottie – I use salted butter. But really it doesn’t matter which you use, it all tastes amazing just the same. :) Good luck!

1. Pingback: Country Cleaver How-To Tuesday : Chicken Stock » Country Cleaver

2. Pingback: Country Cleaver Brown Butter White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies with Coconut » Country Cleaver

3. Pingback: Brown Butter Pecan Cookies | Jen's Favorite Cookies | Recipes & Photos

4. Pingback: Brown Butter Pecan Cookies | Jen's Favorite Cookies | Recipes & Photos

5. Pingback: Country Cleaver How to Make Roux

6. Pingback: Dark Chocolate & Roasted Hazelnut Cookies

7. Pingback: Country Cleaver Brown Butter Toffee Shortbread with Chocolate Ganache » Country Cleaver

8. Pingback: Country Cleaver How to Tuesday :: How to Make Chocolate Ganache » Country Cleaver