Healthier Beef Stroganoff

There’s nothing like a comfort classics made a little healthier. And when it’s comforting pasta dishes made healthier my skinny jeans can rejoice!   This healthier beef stroganoff is just the comforting classic that will warm you up and not fill you with carb shame once it’s been promptly devoured. Traditional beef stroganoff is usually so chock full of cream and butter, you’ll be lucky if you can ever work off that winter layer by the time summer comes around!  But this healthified beef stroganoff is just what you need to fill the winter food void, without adding to the winter layer.

The added mushrooms give this stroganoff an extra filling meaty texture without an over abundance of fatty beef. I love beef, don’t get me wrong, but when we’re all trying to slim down, making this one minor switcharoo makes things equally as satisfying without the added guilt.  Instead of white pasta, opting for a whole grain with added protein pasta like the Barilla Protein Plus Penne, helps you stay fuller longer. And who doesn’t love that during the winter months when you want to stay warm and cozy.

Last but not least – instead of cups of heavy cream and sour cream a simple cup of 0% Chobani was added to give it a great creamy texture with no added fat and even more filling protein.  Total creamy pasta filled WIN!

And unlike my husband who insists on putting BBQ on E.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g – he managed to eat this as is. Devour it more like. And so did I.

There’s nothing like a comfort classic made a little healthier. Exhibit A.

For other comforting pasta recipes check out these  healthified classics!

Zucchini “Pasta” with Raw Marinara – Gimme Some Oven

Trapenese Pesto Pasta – Running to the Kitchen

Skinny Chicken Broccoli Alfredo – Table for Two

Cheesy Pasta with Kielbasa and Broccoli – Val SoCal

Healthier Beef Stroganoff

3/4 pound Lean Ground Beef (90/10)
1 cup sliced Crimini Mushrooms
16 oz Can Progresso Recipe Starter Mushroom, or 2 8oz cans Low Fat Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 cup Chicken Broth
1 cup 0% Chobani Greek Yogurt
1 ½ Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 cup Onions, chopped
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Parsley
1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
2 cups Whole Wheat Pasta, cooked
Salt and Pepper

In a large saute pan, heat pan over medium high heat. Break ground beef into large chunks, season with salt and pepper and cook until no longer pink. When cooked through, drain beef onto a paper towel lined plate. Set aside. Return saute pan to the stove and pour in olive oil. When oil has heated add in onions and saute until they soften and start to become translucent. Add in sliced mushrooms, garlic, red pepper flakes and Worcestershire sauce. Stir frequently until the mushrooms begin to soften as well. Stir in mushroom soup or recipe starter and allow to simmer. Stir in greek yogurt and ground beef. If sauce is too thick, stir in chicken broth and thin sauce to desired liking. Allow to gently simmer.

As stroganoff simmers, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Pour into saute pan and stir pasta and stroganoff together. Serve hot and garnish with parsley.

Adapted from Progresso Recipe Start Stroganoff Recipe

36 Responses to “Healthier Beef Stroganoff”

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — January 18, 2013 @ 4:53 am

I have been wanting to try Beef Stroganoff with yogurt for so long now!! My husband has a creamy food aversion so it hasn’t happened yet but I’m going to do it one of these days regardless. LOVE this!!!

DessertForTwo — January 18, 2013 @ 6:19 am

So, I’m not a big fan of cooking dinner with recipes, and beef stroganoff is something that does not turn out for me. I probably need to use a recipe, yes? Probably this one, right? ;)

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — January 18, 2013 @ 6:45 am

Megan this looks scrum-diddly-umptious {and that’s hard to do with stroganoff!}! Did I just say that? OH YES I DID! Love the healthy spin!

Heather @ Heather's Dish — January 18, 2013 @ 6:59 am

This is pretty much genius – I’ve been using yogurt instead of sour cream for the longest time, except in my stroganoff recipe!

Chobani — January 18, 2013 @ 7:02 am

This looks amazing! It would certainly hit the spot with the chilly weather we’ve been dealing with lately. Love how you healthified it! :) Have a wonderful weekend.

Amy
    @Chobani

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 18, 2013 @ 7:26 am

I love the steam in the middle picture! I’m positive the mr would love this :)

Julia {The Roasted Root} — January 18, 2013 @ 8:29 am

Oh it’s so beefy and creamy, I can’t even stand it! I have always loved beef stroganoff and am all about trying a healthier version! Have a great weekend, lady!

Angie @ Big Bear's Wife — January 18, 2013 @ 8:40 am

I saw this Beef Stroganoff on your Instagram and loved it! This looks so good!

Amber @Sprinkled With Flour — January 18, 2013 @ 8:53 am

I love this beef stroganoff, it looks amazing! I don’t have a good recipe for it either, so I’ll definitely have to try this one. :)

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — January 18, 2013 @ 9:09 am

I call your bluff, NO WAY is that heavenly plate of foodgasm in front of me low fat. I just..want to marry you.

Carrie @ Kiss My Whisk — January 18, 2013 @ 9:15 am

Love it, I always have a load of guilt when I even think about beef stroganoff. My skinny jeans and I can’t wait to try this healthified version!

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — January 18, 2013 @ 11:32 am

Duuu-lishus!! That’s all..

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — January 18, 2013 @ 12:58 pm

What a great shot of the steam coming from the dish! I love your healthy spin on this recipe!

Cassie — January 18, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

You know I’m a Cho junkie. I LOVE this. Everything about it!

Noble Pig - Cathy — January 18, 2013 @ 2:42 pm

Don’t you love those recipe starters…they make things so easy. This looks so yummy.

Julie @ Table for Two — January 18, 2013 @ 6:30 pm

thanks for the link-up lady! i love this lightened up version! beats the fattening version anyday ;)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — January 18, 2013 @ 9:02 pm

I love me some stroganoff, but rarely have it. Now with your lighter recipe, I think I need to have it more often!

Joanne — January 19, 2013 @ 4:15 am

Being able to eat hearty comfort food like this without having to worry about my skinny jeans…definite win!

Paula - bell'alimento — January 20, 2013 @ 11:55 am

Beef Stroganoff is one of my Dad’s specialties. Love it.

Rose @ Our Lady of Second Helpings — January 20, 2013 @ 6:48 pm

We just had this for dinner! I was a huge hit. Simple to make and a perfect cold Sunday night meal. So flipping good, There is enough leftover to stuff our bellies one more time. Instead of hamburger I used a braised London Broil cooked in Lipton Onion soup mix. Also went with beef broth rather than chicken.

runbmz — January 24, 2013 @ 6:56 pm

what do you do with the chicken broth – i see it called for in the ingredients but not in the instructions… maybe i’m missing something?!?!

• Megan replied: — January 24th, 2013 @ 7:38 pm

Hi Runbmz – So sorry about that – thanks for catching it. Stir the chicken broth in if the sauce is too thick for your liking. I liked a slightly thinner sauce, and the chicken stock added flavor as well. Hope that helps! I’ve updated the recipe so please feel free to print it again for your cooking needs! Megan

runbmz — January 24, 2013 @ 8:50 pm

great – thanks! i made this tonight (minus the broth) and it was fabulous… well done!

• Megan replied: — January 25th, 2013 @ 7:28 am

Oh fabulous!! Thanks so much for letting me know how it turned out. I’m so glad it was a hit.

Karin — January 27, 2013 @ 8:58 pm

This stroganoff was amazing. I used 2 cans of regular cream of mushroom because I didn’t have the lowfat version (oh well) and these cans are 10oz, so it made a little more sauce, which was fine because I also used a whole lb of ground beef. Adding the cup of broth made the consistency perfect. With this amount of saucy meaty goodness I used a 16oz bag of egg noodles (how my mom always served stroganoff) and had plenty of leftovers. My husband couldn’t stop saying “yum” while eating this and proclaimed it one of his new favorites! Thank you.

blair — February 22, 2013 @ 9:03 pm

i came across this recipe on pinterest and it looks so good! i’m wondering if you had any suggestions for making it in the crockpot instead of on the stovetop? thanks!

-b

• Megan replied: — February 22nd, 2013 @ 10:30 pm

I’m sure there are plenty of crock pot stroganoff recipes out there, I don’t have one – but I’m sure there is one you can use that would be easily adapted to make healthier like this one. :) Good luck!

Randal Teklu — April 13, 2013 @ 12:29 am

For many, finding the perfect pair of jeans becomes a quest. Jeans are not all made the same, and since there are many styles to choose from, it can be difficult to find a pair that fit exactly the way you want them to. Popular styles include low rise, boot cut, skinny jeans, and flares. Choosing the right style usually means trying on a few before finding one that suits your body type. In addition to denim styles, there are also a variety of colors to choose from. While light colored blue jeans are usually worn during the day, darker denim is worn at nighttime. But many people wear dark denim during the day as well. Jeans are also available in different colors such as black, grey, and red…

Remember to read our own blog
    <="http://www.caramoan.ph/caramoan-camarines-sur/

Coralie Limardo — August 14, 2013 @ 7:35 am

Beef muscle meat can be cut into steak, roasts or short ribs. Some cuts are processed (corned beef or beef jerky), and trimmings, usually mixed with meat from older, leaner cattle, are ground, minced or used in sausages. The blood is used in some varieties of blood sausage. `,:^

Have fun
    <http://www.liverpain.co

kita — October 9, 2013 @ 7:13 am

We’re not going to mention the world healthy when I make this for my man. He would hate it if it was healthy, but he’s going to love it by not knowing :D

Courtney @ Neighborfood — October 9, 2013 @ 8:07 am

Stroganoff is one of my husband’s favorite dishes, but I don’t make it often because I don’t like to have to buy bigger clothes every few months. :) This version sounds like it could become a regular though!

1. Pingback: Whole30 day 18