Homemade Egg Nog Marshmallows

Quite possibly one of the best and most simplistic things about being a kid is the utter joy of a marshmallow (or fifty) floating on top of hot cocoa. It’s like a cocoa hot tub and I can be that at least once you wanted to know what it was like to soak in that chocolate tub, too.

Life wouldn’t get any better. And the best part about marshmallows is that you can make them at home! And it’s almost hilariously simple. Just don’t let your kids do it alone, since it does involve molten hot corn syrup. It’s easy, but just use proper supervision.

Unlike the original egg white based marshmallows that can curdle when the molten syrup is added – the gelatin based version holds up really well and can withstand the extra heat.

Another key to successful homemade marshmallows is to make sure your stand mixer can handle 15 minutes of sustained of whipping on medium-high to high. This might not be an intense work for you – but your mixer will need to hold up during this and it will get a work out. Please monitor it to make sure it doesn’t overheat on you. The last thing you need is a busted stand mixer just before Christmas. Unless….you’re asking your hunny for a new one. Then by all means – whip away!

If you are in the market for a new stand mixer – this one, the 7-quart resisdential stand mixer  from KitchenAid is pretty much the bee’s knees. It’s what I use in my kitchen for my high test jobs like intesny whipped marshmallows and hefty bread doughs that a smaller motor has a tendancy to struggle over. 1.3 horsepower, baby! Can I get a Tim Taylor grunt up in here?!

And with 11 wires on the whip attachment, these marshmallows will look like jet puffed little pillows!

Once your fluffy ‘mallow pillows are all set they are ready to be cut – and because it is Christmas, it is only right, reasonable and rational to bust out the mini Christmas cookie cutters and make them into your favorite shapes! Marshmallow snowmen? Yup. They’re ironic. And so fluffy.

Now go make yourself some ‘mallows and switch it up this holiday season to something fun and festive!

Homemade Egg Nog Marshmallows

A Christmas Twist on a winter classic.

Yield: 50 square Marshmallows

Dash Cloves
Dash Cinnamon
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
Nonstick spray
Ivory food coloring, optional*

In stand mixer bowl outfitted with whisk attachment, combine ½ cup ice water with 3 packages of unflavored gelatin. Allow to bloom for 5 minutes.
In large saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, salt, rum extract, vanilla, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon and remaining ½ cup water. Whisk together. Turn on heat to medium high and using a candy thermometer whisk sugar/corn until it boils and reaches 240 Degrees F.

Turn stand mixer on low and begin to gently whisk gelatin. In a small, steady stream begin slowly pouring boiling corn syrup/sugar mixture into stand mixer. Once all the syrup is in the mixer, turn it on medium high and allow to beat for 15 minutes, or until the bowl is completely cool.

Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray. In small bowl, combine corn starch and powdered sugar. Sprinkle ½ of corn starch/sugar mixture into the sprayed baking dish and coat the baking dish. Put remnants of sugar/starch back into the original bowl.

Once the marshmallow fluff has puffed up and cooled, turn off mixer and using a non-stick spray coated spatula scrape the marshmallow fluff into the baking dish. Using a non-stick spray coated spatula spread the marshmallow fluff to cover the whole baking pan. Sprinkle with some of the powdered sugar/corn starch mixture and pat to cover the top of the marshmallows until the top is no longer sticky. Let rest for 3 hours or even overnight uncovered.

To cut:
Remove sheet of cooled and set marshmallows from baking dish. Place on a cutting board or clean surface. Dip a sharp knife into corn starch/sugar mixture and cut the marshmallows int o strips and then cube. If desired, use cookie cutters to cut into seasonal shapes. Just dip the cutters into the corn starch/sugar mixture. The mallows will still be sticky.

When cut, roll into bowl of corn starch/sugar mixture and tap off excess. Set aside to set.

Sprinkle with additional nutmeg for garnish. Serve, eat, roast, or put in hot cocoa.

*NOTE* This involves molten sugar - PLEASE be careful and assist children.

Adapted from Alton Brown Marshmallows.

*fine print* I was given a 7-quart stand mixer by KitchenAid. I was not compensated for this post. All opinions are my own – and I freakin’ LOVE this thing. It’s a BEAST!

44 Responses to “Homemade Egg Nog Marshmallows”

Karly — December 19, 2012 @ 7:46 am

Egg nog marshmallows??? You just totally took homemade marshmallows to a whole new level.

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:48 am

Thanks Karly! I kinda lost my mind over all the nutmeg in them too. #nutmegobsessor :)

Cathy @ Noble Pig — December 19, 2012 @ 7:47 am

I love these..so cute and festive. I have to make my own marshmallows this winter!

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:49 am

Totally make your own mallows. Sure, it’s easier to buy them already made – but ‘cmon you can’t find Egg Nog in the stores! haha

Kathryn — December 19, 2012 @ 7:49 am

I love how light & fluffy your marshmallows look – just perfect!

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:50 am

Thank you Kathryn! I’m convinced they’re even better when cut into cute holiday shapes. Fluffy snowman marshmallows? It’s like they’re trying to be ironic or something! haha

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — December 19, 2012 @ 7:52 am

I need to amke marshmallows. NEED. Oh- and I also need this mixer. le sigh.

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:52 am

You do need to make marshmallows – and YOU NEED THIS MIXER!! I named mine Ginger. Every mixmaster needs a star mixer.

DessertForTwo — December 19, 2012 @ 7:55 am

Ok, my new year’s resolution is to make homemade marshmallows! Can you believe I never have?! This will be my first recipe!

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:53 am

These are totally a must make! I’m sure there is a way to pare down the recipe for two ;) Or you can just call it good and make this whole thing, because they’re so addictive that you and the Mister will devour them in two generous servings as it is! :) HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

Phenomenal Lass — December 19, 2012 @ 8:00 am

I’m hoping that someday Santa will bring me a stand mixer. I’ve never even used one – but they seem like such an awesome kitchen tool!

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 8:04 am

A good stand mixer is the epitome of kitchen tools. They are a must have. *side note * I think Macy’s has Kitchen Aid stand mixers 30% off for Christmas! Just helping…:)

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — December 19, 2012 @ 8:01 am

I’m not going to lie. I want 1,000 of these right now.

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 8:04 am

Well how perfect – cause I deem marshmallows tobe one of a few guilt free sweets. #girllogic haha

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — December 19, 2012 @ 11:11 am

WHAT DID YOU JUST DO?! I love these, eating eggnog is so much better than drinking it.

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 8:04 am

I did it and I am not ashamed. Eggnog all the things!!

Kirsten — December 19, 2012 @ 11:30 am

I’ve been wanting to make homemade marshmallows but have been afraid of what kind of cravings it would unleash, so I ignore all recipes. Dang it, Megan! I can’t ignore egg nog marshmallows! Time to break the seal…

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 8:05 am

Break the seal. Pop the ‘mallow cherry – whatever it is you want to say about it – just do it. All the cool kids are. Be on of the cool kids Kirsten. I won’t tell. ;)

Wow, I never knew mallows could be so dirty.

Cassie | Bake Your Day — December 19, 2012 @ 12:20 pm

Oh yes…my big KA is always on my counter. And will be used next for homemade marshmallows. Love ‘em!

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 8:07 am

That big KA mixer is the best thing that has ever happened to my kitchen. I had to retire “The Professor” my old 5 quart that my mom originally bought me. He was tired. So I’ve named my big red buxom beauty “Ginger” She’s a champ, and oh so pretty.

And apprently I’m going to have a cast of kitchen tools named after Gilligan’s island characters.

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — December 19, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

I have a 10 year old KA mini mixer and use it all the time, never had any issues :) Lovin’ the mallows!

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:15 pm

There’s nothing like a KitchenAid! And it totally owns mallow-making :)

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — December 19, 2012 @ 5:44 pm

My KA mixer has whipped up its fair share of marshmallows, but never eggnog ones. I need to try these!!

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:15 pm

I hope the egg nog mallows are a hit Brenda! I think peppermint is next on the list.

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — December 19, 2012 @ 5:53 pm

These marshmallows are EPIC! Must action immediately!

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:16 pm

Action is required immediately!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — December 19, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

I’ve never made marshmallows before, but now you have inspired me!

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:17 pm

Yes- make the mallows. Now that you have a mixer it’s like practically a requirement!

Linda | The Urban Mrs — December 19, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

Genius! I’ve heard strawberry/ vanilla/ chocolate marshmallow, but eggnog marshmallow? You’re the best!

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:19 pm

I have to try chocolate and strawberry marshmallows! And peppermint. Just for good measure. :)

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 19, 2012 @ 8:30 pm

Love love love! You’ve inspired me to make my own mallows! XO

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:19 pm

You have to make mallows!! Like, totally.

carrian — December 19, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

Oh, yeah buddy. I’m all over this!

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:32 pm

Sure – it’s easier to buy mallows- but the in-store ones are SO boring! And they don’t come in egg nog! haha

Kristen — December 20, 2012 @ 7:48 am

Loving the flavor of these – those would be so tasty!

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:34 pm

Thanks Kristen! I love these marshmallows and there are so many flavors to make. And lots of cocoa to drink them with! Caramel? Irish Cream? Hello!

Nicole @ The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie — December 20, 2012 @ 7:51 am

Megan we totally think alike!! I just posted a very similar recipe on my blog today :) Hooray for Eggnog Marshmallows!

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

That’s so funny we posted practically the same one just a day apart. That Alton Brown recipe has been my go-to for a while, it’s just perfect and foolproof!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — December 20, 2012 @ 8:50 am

Homemade marshmallows? Duuuude. I’m drooling and I don’t plan on cutting it out. Plus, check out your beast of a mixer! Jelly.

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

That mixer is a beast!! And these mallows are even beastier. hahah

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — December 20, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

LOVE!!!!!! I love noggy!!

• Megan replied: — December 20th, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

Who doesn’t love the nog during the winter time? I mean honestly? And in mallow form – done and done.

1. Pingback: Country Cleaver » 25 Best Recipes of 2012

2. Pingback: S'mores Graham Krispie Treats and Tuesday (Wedding) Things » Country Cleaver