Ray’s Sweet Potato Casserole & 102 Thanksgiving Recipes

Four days and counting – cue the panic and break out the fat pants! Are you ready? I most assuredly am not, but with a plethora of recipes floating around the interwebs, I’m breathing a little bit easier.

This is Ben and my first holiday as a married couple and we have decided to forego the chaos and upheaval that normally comes with big family holidays. Normally we would have to choose between splitting our holiday one of three ways, with my dad and step-mom, mom and step-dad or Ben’s parents 300 miles away – but with him in the middle of his first quarter of nursing school and my trying to just keep pace with the rest of the world, it seemed like the best option for us was to spend our first holiday as man and wife together – just the two of us. And Huck, too – naturally.

This also happens to be my first year of cooking my own Thanksgiving, all by myself. o.O

Ben will be tucked away banging his head into his desk finishing a last minute 10 page paper on nursing ethics and peeking through the door of our room to catch the latest football scores and I will be commandeering the remote and be watching Harry Potter all the way through getting myself primed for the impending Christmas season. Am I the only one who craves a little wand waving and quidditch during the rainy fall months? It just gets me in the spirit. Don’t know why, but it probably has something to do with me being weird and loony. You already knew that though.

Anywayy… since this is Ben’s and my first Turkey Day together, I wanted to make sure that it felt like home. The one resounding requirement to our Thanksgiving fare was Ray’s Sweet Potato Casserole. Never have I met Ray, but he is a casserole legend and this is the one dish that everyone looks forward to in the Keno family during the holiday of Thanks. So being the wonderful wife I am, I am making this just for Ben. Where’s my wife of the year award? I suspect it is in the mail now.

This is one that would be easy to make head of time and pop in the oven 25 minutes before dinner is ready. Score 1 for Megan and easy planning!

I started with two sweet potatoes – since this is just me and Ben, and boiled them like regular potatoes. Then drain away!

Now this beauty is how I went about “mashing” my potatoes – it’s a ricer. If you don’t have one of these, I highly, astronomically recommend it. It’s doesn’t mash as much as it aerates your potatoes, keeping them light and fluffy instead of condensed and brick-like. Unless you’re into that sort of thing, which I pass no judgements.

This one, in particular – the RSVP Ricer, has two removable and interchangeable presses, this one is the finer of the two. *Sidebar* this ricer was the highest rated ricer by America’s Test Kitchen. And they test ‘em ALLL, so I trust ‘em. *End Sidebar*

The ricer is super handy because it also – oh so conventiently – has a bowl rest on it so you can let it sit on your bowl as you press.Who wants their taters flying through the air ala Three Stooges – no one.

Riced.

Then into the bowl went buttah (obviously), sugar, eggs and a little milk.

Oh, and some vanilla.

Fold it around so you don’t flatten the sweet potatoes until the butter melts deliciously into the crevasses and you’re ready to put it into the baking dish.

Smooth it out in the bottom of a baking dish and get ready to top it with a little brown sugar, coconut, chopped pecans (or in my case walnuts), flour and maauurr buttah!

Fork that baby til it crumbles and sprinkle onto the sweet potatoes. Now you’re ready to bake. Put into a 325 oven for 20-25 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Now this one is fantastic if you want to make it a day or even two ahead of time, and you just throw it into the oven as your bring your bird out of the oven to rest. Just switcharoo and you’re ready to go as soon as the bird is ready to carve. Viola!

Ray's Sweet Potato Casserole

A family tradition that can be made a day or two ahead of time!

Cook Time: 20-25 Minutes

4-5 Sweet Potatoes, cubed
3/4 cup Sugar
½ cup Milk
2 Eggs, beaten
1 tsp Vanilla
6 Tbsp Butter, softened
Crumble Topping:
1 cup Coconut
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 pecans (or in my case walnuts), chopped
¾ cup flour
6 tbsp butter, melted

3 tbsp Butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In large saucepan or stock pot, boil water. Add in cubed sweet potatoes and simmer just until potatoes are fork tender. Drain in colander and set aside. Place ricer over bowl and press potatoes in multiple batches. Add in vanilla, softened butter, milk, beaten eggs and sugar. Fold everything together until butter has melted and everything is evenly dispersed.

Pour into a lightly greased baking dish. Set aside.

In bowl, mix together coconut, brown sugar, chopped pecans, and flour. Stir in melted butter and mix until the coconut/brown sugar/pecan mixture starts to look like crumbles and is pea sized. Sprinkle over the top of the sweet potatoes.

Place in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Serve warm.

*Note* This dish can be made a day or two ahead of time and bake day-of. You may need to increase the time of baking if it comes straight of the fridge and into the oven.

Original recipe from Ray Hulet.

Now for 102 extra recipes for your Thanksgiving holiday – cause you weren’t indecisive enough already!! Check out some of my favorites. You just know these will be a hit!!

Because, 101 recipes just wasn’t trying hard enough.

Appetizers:

BLT Dip - Climbing Grier Mountain

Cocktails:

Basil Infused Vodka - Country Cleaver

Pumpkin Eggnog Martini – Recipe Girl

Blood Orange Champagne Cocktail – Heather Cristo

Sloe Gin Sours – London Bakes

Irish Coffee – My Life as a Mrs.

Spiced Pumpkin Martini – My Life as a Mrs.

Turkey:

Baby Carrots – Picky Palate

Roasted Delicate Squash – Rachel Cooks

Wild Rice Caramelied Shallots, Cranberries and Pecans – Eat Live Run

Oven Roasted Vegetables – Spicy Perspective

Spaghetti Squash with Swiss Chard – Cookin’ Canuck

Potatoes of all kind:

Apple Balsamic Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Goat Cheese and Cranberries - Country Cleaver

Pumpkin Scalloped Potatoes – Recipe Girl

Leftover Turkey Casserole - Lauren’s Latest

Day After Breakfast Hash with Cheddar Mashed Potato Pancakes - How Sweet Eats

Turkey, Brie and Apple Panini – The Novice Chef

Rosemary Hummus Turkey Wraps – She Wears Many Hats

Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps – Bev Cooks

Turkey Enchiladad Verde Soup – Homesick Texan

40 Responses to “Ray’s Sweet Potato Casserole & 102 Thanksgiving Recipes”

Rachel Cooks — November 19, 2012 @ 5:12 am

This looks awesome! You guys are going to have such a fun Thanksgiving! It’s always so nice to start new traditions as a married couple. Great round-up, too!

• Megan replied: — November 19th, 2012 @ 7:02 pm

So happy to include you in the roundup, Rachel!! I had so much fun filtering through everyone’s recipes. And then I got really hungry. haha

brandi — November 19, 2012 @ 5:41 am

thanks for the link, friend! can’t WAIT to see you next week – ahh!!! :)

hope you guys have a fab Thanksgiving!

• Megan replied: — November 19th, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

Next week is going to ROCK and I was thrilled to add your hummus to the list – it looks amazeballs!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — November 19, 2012 @ 7:01 am

Totally digging this sweet potato casserole! Must make ASAP. And thanks for the BLT dip love….so excited for Turkey Week!

• Megan replied: — November 19th, 2012 @ 7:05 pm

Turkey day is all about football and dips. I mean I love the turkey and the pie – but chips and dip during football is where its at! Or spinach dip. See – Dip!

Kathryn — November 19, 2012 @ 7:12 am

Thanks for the link Megan, I hope you two have a totally amazing thanksgiving (which I’m sure you will because I’m betting your food will be incredibly delicious!)

• Megan replied: — November 19th, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

Thank you Kathryn! I know it’ll be a great first holiday for Ben and I. I’d love to share an American Thanksgiving with you someday :)

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — November 19, 2012 @ 8:05 am

Thanks for the link up friend!! :) And YUM to this casserole!!

• Megan replied: — November 19th, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

Of course Claire! I was thrilled to include you in the list – everything you make it fantastic!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — November 19, 2012 @ 8:45 am

Thanks for the linky love, girlfriend! This casserole looks AMAZEBALLS. I have to say, the sweet potato casserole is easily one of my favorite things on the Thanksgiving table. And I love this version–looks so delish, and love that you riced the taters. Makes them so lush!

• Megan replied: — November 19th, 2012 @ 7:14 pm

Lush – best word EVER! This was Ben’s number 1 favorite dish so I had to share it with everyone. I don’t know what I ever did without a ricer!

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — November 19, 2012 @ 9:50 am

I’m a little nervous to make sweet potato casserole, because I’m pretty sure my family wouldn’t eat it, and then I’d be forced to eat the entire thing by myself.

• Megan replied: — November 19th, 2012 @ 7:15 pm

You say “eat the entire thing by myself” like it’s a bad thing!?! Make a half batch instead, just to give it a try. #enticing

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — November 19, 2012 @ 11:50 am

For real? I drool. Thanks for the roll love. Great roundup sista. I am officially hungry and ready for Thursday to get here.

• Megan replied: — November 19th, 2012 @ 7:16 pm

Thanks Heather! I was wicked hungry putting this whole list together.

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — November 19, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

We always end up spending Thanksgiving just us as well. It ends up being way more relaxed! I was going to make maple sweet potatoes but this just topped the list! They look fabulous.

• Megan replied: — November 19th, 2012 @ 7:18 pm

This will be our first holiday just the two of us, so it will be a much welcomed change. I’m really excited. I hope you like these – Ben was so anxious for me to share it with everyone, he hopes its a hit!

Cathy @ Noble Pig — November 19, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

That’s it woman. I am making this…whoa.

• Megan replied: — November 19th, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

Makkeeee iittttt!!! You will not regret it!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — November 19, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

Thanks for including me in this massive, wonderful Thanksgiving feast! Hope you have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

• Megan replied: — November 19th, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

I was so happy to include you hun!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and family!

Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen — November 19, 2012 @ 8:01 pm

Yum, LOVE sweet potatoes :) This is such a great roundup – I’m Pinning away. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Jan B. — November 19, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

I making this.. Now in your opinion… what’s the difference between yams and sweet potatoes? I’m sending my daughter shopping and who knows what she’ll come back with.. :)

Kirsten/ComfortablyDomestic — November 19, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

Oh! That looks like a sweet potato pie minus the crust! Mmmm…
    Thanks for the cornmeal roll love–I don’t know how you compiled such a fantastic list without hoovering the pantry in the process.

BTW…just over a week from now…we SQUEE! In case you forgot. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving just you & Ben. XOXO

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — November 19, 2012 @ 10:17 pm

Looks amazing! Enjoy your turkey day, the chaos is over rated, trust me ;)

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — November 20, 2012 @ 3:50 am

That casserole looks awesome. I am getting so excited for Thursday! Thanks so much for sharing my Sweet Potato Pie! What a great round up!!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — November 20, 2012 @ 6:13 am

Holy cow. This casserole, that ricer, this list. Amazing, girl!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — November 20, 2012 @ 6:14 am

Oh, and thanks for the biscuit love!

Kristen — November 20, 2012 @ 6:30 am

Oh my goodness – that crumble on the casserole is amazing!

Shut Up & Cook | The Attainable Gourmet — November 20, 2012 @ 8:45 am

Matt and I did a solo Christmas one of the first years we were married down on the Oregon Coast and it was such fun. We did mini-versions of everything, but had the whole kit ‘n’ caboodle.

Loved it!

Angie @ Big Bear's Wife — November 20, 2012 @ 8:47 am

the topping on the sweet potato casserole just pulled me in. I’m pretty sure we’d love this even if it wasn’t thanksgiving! yum!
    We’re not doing a big Thanksgiving this year either. We’re going to moms and there will be about 6 of us there… not the normal 25, so a very small Thanksgiving for us this year and I’m totally ok with that

Jackie @ The Beeroness — November 20, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

I love this a lot. And I love that marshmallows are nowhere near it.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — November 20, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

I hope you guys have an awesome first Thanksgiving together! What a great round up, I am really glad we are traveling and my mom has to plan the meal!

Katie @ The Hill Country Cook — November 20, 2012 @ 5:32 pm

Looks good!! You’re sweet potatoes in PNW are different, ours are orange like yams! …. Our first thanksgiving together we went to the deer lease, just him and I, lol, and I brought all the Thanksgiving food in little pre-portioned tupperwares, hahaaaa!!! And HELLOOOO- FANTABULOUS IDEA about rolling pie crust on a silpat, I HATE getting a floured surface dirty as well!!!! AGGGHHHH.

Stacey — November 26, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

The color of your sweet potatoes totally threw me off. I had to re read the recipe twice thinking you were using baking potatoes and treating them like sweet potatoes, ha!

I had no idea that sweet potatoes weren’t orange all over the country.

I love this recipe because it’s very similar to what I always make for thanksgiving, topping and all. Thanks for the comprehensive list as well!

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen — November 26, 2012 @ 7:15 pm

I love that you used coconut in the topping. Dying over how delicious this tastes. xo

striptease — February 12, 2014 @ 9:52 am

There was a lot of nervous laughter and jokes about not knowing what to expect.
    is suffering from Polar Vortex part II, Rihanna is soaking up Brazil’s
    warm climate and celebrating by stripping down.
    All of these plus points will make your business a winner.

1. Pingback: Round-Up » Table for Two