Cantaloupe Bruschetta with Balsamic of Modena Glaze

For those of us who now have to jump, wiggle and Spanx our way back into our regular everyday clothes, here’s a treat that’ll get your the carbs you crave with an extra dose of fruit, sass and limited guilt – Cantaloupe Bruschetta. And right now, I can use all the help I can get.

My boots finally came today – two days under the wire for me to don them on this weekend’s trip to Virginia. And since I tore through my local Eddie Bauer outlet on a surprisingly quiet Black Friday, it only seemed reasonable, and utterly necessary, to get some fashionable boots to go with ‘em. To go with that moutainy chick look an all.

Except the struggles don’t end there. Me and tall boots do not have a favorable history – rather we have a non existent history, due to the fact that my calves are the size of most “normal sized” humans thighs. Thank you mom for the Czech “sturdiness” and nearly blind left eye. Yes, yes – there are extended calf boots, even Frye’s has ‘em. And for eons I have lusted after them. But I need E.x.t.e.n.d.e.d size boots – 17 ½” calves here people! This is no joke. And ALL muscle – in a riduculous-draft-horses-have-smaller-legs-than-me calves kinda way. To the Fat Woman catalog!! So these are what I came out with, in brown. Not bad eh? A little rough, little buckley, a little freakin’ perfect. Except jeans and boot socks won’t fit under them, just the jeans. Oh well. What’s a Czech girl to do?

So after a jaunt to the gym to rack up my 5th mile of the day I was craving these. And they never fail to deliver with sweet cantaloupe (which I usually am not a fan of unless perfectly ripe), fresh mozzarella, basil, and for good measure some crispy prosciutto. Oh and well duh – a drizzle (hefty pour) of Balsamic of Modena Glaze.  I can’t get enough of these glazes. Because they’re perfect on everything – like this too. It was only on TV!

Really – of all things, there are worse things to eat my ginormous-calved feelings with.

Cantaloupe Bruschetta with Balsamic of Modena Glaze

1/2 Cantaloupe, skinned and diced
8 ounces Mozzarella, diced
4 ounces Prosciutto, thinly sliced and fried
1/4 cup Basil, chiffonade
1 loaf French Baguette, sliced on the bias
2 Tbsp STAR Garlic Infused Olive Oil
1/3 cup STAR Family Reserve Modena Balsamic Glaze

In a large bowl, combine cantaloupe, mozzarella and basil. Gently toss to combine. Set aside. Turn on oven broiler and place rack nearest to the element. Lay sliced baguette onto a baking sheet and drizzle or brush with garlic olive oil. Place bread into broiler to toast. Remove once golden brown and allow to cool.
In skillet over medium high heat, fry the thinly sliced prosciutto ribbons until they are crispy. Remove from skillet and drain on a paper towel. Set aside.
To assemble, top each slice of baguette with a generous portion of cantaloupe/mozzarella mixture. Top with fried prosciutto and then drizzle STAR Modena Balsamic Glaze over the top. Serve and devour.
Notes
*Note* Because cantaloupe is so juicy, do not place on baguette slices until you are ready to serve to ensure the bread stays crispy.

Original by Megan Pence-Keno

*Note* Star Fine Foods provided me with their line of Glazes that I have used to create this recipe. I was compensated for this recipe, but all opinions of the glaze are my own. It’s amazing stuff, really really.

24 Responses to “Cantaloupe Bruschetta with Balsamic of Modena Glaze”

Kelly Senyei (Just a Taste) — November 28, 2012 @ 6:48 am

I am right there with you (I hope) when it comes to Spanx’ing myself back into holiday attire :) I love the sweet-tangy mashup of fruit and vinegar. Yum!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — November 28, 2012 @ 7:01 am

Gorgeous! Great appetizer for a holiday party! TWO Days!!! Can’t wait!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — November 28, 2012 @ 7:02 am

I would like this. Right now. Faster.

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — November 28, 2012 @ 7:24 am

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!!!

Kathryn — November 28, 2012 @ 7:36 am

So pretty and these sound so tasty!

Kristen — November 28, 2012 @ 7:49 am

This is brilliant – like sooo brilliant! You are such a smart cookie :)

Sarah — November 28, 2012 @ 8:58 am

I’m with you on the big calf’s! It’s always a struggle. Not sure what material they are, but if they are leather a cobbler (yes, I live in the early 1900′s) can stretch them for you.

And the recipe looks delicious!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — November 28, 2012 @ 9:24 am

This bruschetta has all sorts of deliciousness! From the cantaloupe to the basil, balsamic and prosciutto…absolute perfection with all of those flavors! This is such a fun appetizer and my prosciutto-loving step dad would be all over this!!

Linda | The Urban Mrs — November 28, 2012 @ 9:31 am

Love love the combo. The cantaloupe definitely adds sweetness! Have fun at Mixed Con.

carrian — November 28, 2012 @ 11:01 am

Seriously lovely. Cannot wait to try it myself!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — November 28, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

This is so up my alley. I want! I have three bottles of Star’s new glazes but haven’t had the chance to cook with them yet. Need to get on that!

Cathy @ Noble Pig — November 28, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

This. Is. Epic. Pinning the heck out of this now.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — November 29, 2012 @ 8:10 am

This is absolutely gorgeous looking (and I bet tasting!) LOVE THESE GLAZES!!

Ashley - Baker by Nature — November 29, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

Ok, first off: I’m so happy I just found your stunning blog! So excited to explore. Secondly. I want this bruschetta. Like right now.

Aggie — November 29, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

Um, beautiful. I’m craving all kinds of fruit & veg this week. You are rocking those miles!!! Great job!

Have a blast in VA!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — November 29, 2012 @ 8:51 pm

What a fun and different appetizer! Your boot are awesome. I have a fear of boots because it is going to require skinny jeans, which I’m terrified of!

marina (yummymummykitchen.com) — November 29, 2012 @ 9:25 pm

This is my favorite combo of all time. mmmmm

Christie {Pepper Lynn} — November 29, 2012 @ 11:55 pm

Never would have thought to incorporate canteloupe into a bruschetta, but my mouth is watering now!

Jayne — November 30, 2012 @ 1:43 am

The sweet savoury combo is genius! I also like that it produces lovely fall colours, my favourite colours :-)

Jenna — April 23, 2014 @ 6:26 am

These flavors sound amazing together!! Perfect light dinner

1. Pingback: Country Cleaver » Balsamic Roasted Root Vegetables

2. Pingback: Country Cleaver Make Your Recipes Work for YOU! » Country Cleaver

3. Pingback: 5 Tips and 25 Recipes for a Romantic Dinner : Cook the Story

4. Pingback: Country Cleaver Introducing #HowToYOUsDay & Goat Cheese Stuffed Praline Dates » Country Cleaver