Salted Caramel Chocolate Doughnuts

Right now I’m so distracted by the Vampire Diaries that it’s hard to actually focus on the writing of this post. And this is a post that warrants my undivided and complete attention – for multiple reasons.

The first of which is below.

Duh.

The second of which is because last weekend was a whirlwind of food, world famous mac and cheese, cinnamon rolls so sinful it would make the Pope blush (Thank you Lauren!) , and baking with one of my favorite bloggers and true friends. You may know her as Table for Two, I just call her Rockstar. Cause well she is, natch.

I taunted and teased you all weekend with Instragram-all-the-food photos that had carbs. At Pine State Biscuit no less.

And cheese. Things that were fried, too. Just for good measure.

Adorable, small, dimply children that made my right ovary kick me a couple of times made their appearance.

Exhibit A.

And here, too.

Dang it, Child! Stop being so dang precious. And if you’re wondering, her reaction to the pizza summed up what all of us were thinking as we shoved slice after slice of Ken’s Artisan Pizza into our pie holes.

Those guys know how to spin a pie. So if you’re in Portland, please just do yourself a favor and stop in and devour it. Viciously.

Julie and I ate our way through two towns, recovered from said sugar coma and then…

started all over again Sunday morning just before she had to leave me and fly back to the great land of DC. All weekend our thoughts revolved around the the idea of making the perfect chocolate doughnut, dripping with sultry salted caramel. And sprinkled with sea salt thats sparkle rivals that of a dang Cullen.

And all we wanted was the sparkly salted caramel chocolate Cullen doughnuts in our faces. Thank goodness for yoga pants and people who just Get You.

That’s how we roll.

Salted Caramel Chocolate Doughnuts

Baked Chocolate doughnuts with Salted Caramel icing.

Total Time: 1 Hour

Caramel Icing:
2 cup Brown Sugar
½ + 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream
3 Tbsp Butter
2 tsp Vanilla
3 Tbsp Course Sea Salt for Topping

Preheat your oven to 425F.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
 Beat in greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla, milk and melted butter until fully incorporated. Spray doughnut pan with non-stick spray, filling each cavity with ¼-1/3 cup doughnut batter.Bake in oven for 9 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

Caramel Topping:
In a sauce pan, combine all ingredients except course sea salt. Heat over medium-high heat whisking ingredients together until mixture melts and becomes smooth. Remove from heat. Gently invert cooled doughnuts and dip into hot caramel. BE CAREFUL, the caramel is scorching hot. Dip doughnuts into caramel, turn right side up and allow to cool on a wire rack. Immediately sprinkle hot caramel with sea salt. Repeat with remaining doughnuts. Allow caramel to cool and promptly devour.

Original recipe by Megan Keno and Julie Chiou

24 Responses to “Salted Caramel Chocolate Doughnuts”

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } — October 12, 2012 @ 3:28 am

Ovary kicking children are always the best!

The food looks delicious – I can’t be trusted to make those doughnuts and not eat every one of them.

Blog is the New Black — October 12, 2012 @ 4:56 am

Oh no, you didn’t….. ;)

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — October 12, 2012 @ 5:35 am

hahahahahhahaha. you make me laugh. and yes, julie rocks. and so do these donuts!!

Deborah — October 12, 2012 @ 7:31 am

These seriously look so amazing!! And what a fun weekend!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — October 12, 2012 @ 8:07 am

GAH! These doughnuts look amazing! And I can’t wait to eat our way through Mixed!!

britainknee — October 12, 2012 @ 8:12 am

Sounds like a delicious flavor combination! I think my number one priority this weekend will be investing in a doughnut pan…

MO — October 12, 2012 @ 8:58 am

I need more salted caramel in my life! :)

Linda | The Urban Mrs — October 12, 2012 @ 11:24 am

I really miss Pine State biscuit – they’re the best of Portland, but not anymore since you’ve came up with this salted caramel choco donuts. I always fall for salted caramel and this recipe is brilliant!

Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats — October 12, 2012 @ 11:47 am

These look wonderful Meagan! I was so jealous of all the food you kept posting last weekend :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — October 12, 2012 @ 2:51 pm

What gorgeous donuts! I think I need to hang out with you one weekend so I can eat all that amazing food!

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri — October 12, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

wow. heavenly.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — October 12, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

Seriously – vampire diaries – seriously. I wish they’d kill her off already but I know that’s not possible. Bring back Catherine. She was fun.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — October 13, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

In exhibit A picture you have the prettiest smile I’ve seen!

Denise @BeBetsy — October 13, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

Hi Megan! Great post and delicious donuts. We have to make these!! You always have terrific ideas. (You are beaming with happiness obviously!)

Take care and best wishes from S and D @BeBetsy!

kale — October 13, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

wow, i am in awe. total awe. keep eating. keep documenting. :)

Kathryn — October 14, 2012 @ 3:00 am

I loved following along your weekend; so much good food and these doughnuts just top it off!

Jenny — November 6, 2012 @ 10:29 am

Love the pics, love the recipe and love Pine State. Do you think these could work as cupcakes? I don’t have a doughnut pan and not really wanting to buy one at the moment. Thanks for the recipe!! :)

Tess — November 14, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

Hello :) this recipe looks amazing and would like to try it for thanksgiving! Just wondering about the Greek yogurt? I see it in the instructions but not on the ingredient list. Is there both sour cream and Greek yogurt and what quantity? Looking forward to these!!

melissa — November 23, 2013 @ 1:02 pm

Can you be clear on the heavy cream. Does that mean 1/2 cup plus 2 TBSP or 1/2 TBSP plus TBSP???

• Megan replied: — November 23rd, 2013 @ 1:06 pm

It’s 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. Sorry for the confusion!

1. Pingback: Weekly Mix: Fall Baking and New Cookbooks | Bake or Break

2. Pingback: recipe : salted caramel chocolate doughnuts – . D a n d y L i o n .

3. Pingback: Salted caramel chocolate doughnuts | Project Cookbook