Steakhouse Marinated Portobello Mushroom Burger

There’s fungus among us! And in your face.

This recipe has been a long time coming. Not because it was difficult or time consuming to make – but with life getting in my way, with things like this, that and the other – this poor little burger baby got lost in the crowd. But no more!

Yesterday my second Alaskan adventure of the year came to a close. Last night I arrived home from Cordova, Alaska where I spent four days in the most pristine and breathtaking little town I’ve ever been too.

Proof.

Amongst the plethora of activities Kaela and I participated in on our adventure with Copper River Salmon – we also got to experience the Cordova Fungus Festival. I know, right? And it was an experience to be sure. From braised lamb and porcini ragout to candy cap mushroom cheesecake – this was a life altering experience.

*Sidebar* There will be Pl-he-hen-ty more Alaska in your face where this little picture comes from. Promise! But back to the food…

To keep this fungi-filled theme going I figured breaking out this meatless steakhouse burger was totally warranted.

Of course because we all know what I rebel I am – I added bacon to it. So fine, it wasn’t completely meatless, but you get the point.

Into a plastic zip lock bag went my one portobello mushroom cap, and about a ¼-⅓ cup of steak marinade. I chose the A1 Steakhouse Peppercorn marinade, but any of them will surely do you good. The two were left in the fridge to get it on for an hour or two – since I got distracted by a bumblebee, or watching Downton Abbey on dvd for the 3 millionth time…what? It was the Christmas Special episode – and we all know how awwww-inducing that episode was! Don’t judge me.

Anyway – once the mushroom was all juiced up, I the grill was heated and this little porker of a meaty manly mushroom was grilled on medium high for about 4 minutes a side – or until the grill marks were left on it, and it was heated through.

Naturally since we’re talking steakhouse things, caramalized onions were added, tanker ship loads of BBQ sauce was slathered on there and to take it five steps over the top – a heap of bacon and crumbled blue cheese. All the best parts of ridiculously dressed up steaks.

Go big or go home. We have no need for measly topped burgers here.

And so, I shoved it into my face and it was good. Really, this really called for me donning a bib, an apron, and a tarp under my chair – because there is no way this is dainty to devour. Just wear your grubbiest shirt – because this thing isn’t meant to be eaten purdy. But no one is judging here. Least of all, me.

So stay tuned – later this week you’ll be getting a play by play of my Alaskan Adventure with Copper River Seafood and you’ll be simultaneously booking a trip to the great white north. I guarantee it. As ferociously click and search for nursing jobs for Ben and jobs for me…

Portobello Mushroom Steakhouse Burger

A meatless burger with all the trappings and toppings of a steakhouse steak

Yield: 2 Burgers

Prep Time: 1 Hour

Total Time: 1 Hours 20 MInutes

2 Portobello Mushrooms, cleaned and stem removed
½-⅔ cup Steak Marinade, I used A1 Steakhouse Peppercorn
1 yellow onion, sliced
4 strips Bacon, fried*optional - omit if you choose to have this meatless
3 Tbsp Butter*
½ cup BBQ Sauce of choice,
¼ cup Crumbled Blue Cheese
2 Whole Wheat Burger Buns, toasted
3 Tbsp Canola Based Mayonaise

In a zip and seal plastic bag, place mushrooms that have been cleaned and stemmed. Pour in marinade and cover mushrooms. Seal and place in fridge for about 1 hour or longer.

*For Bacon version* In large sauté pan, fry bacon until crispy. Remove bacon and drain on a paper towel. Leave bacon grease in pan. Toss sliced onion into the same pan with the bacon grease and caramelize. Set aside caramelized onion for topping later.

*For Vegetarian Version* If you want to omit bacon, heat pan over medium high heat and melt butter. Toss in sliced onion and caramelized. Set aside caramelized onion for later.

Heat grill to medium high heat. Place mushrooms onto grill and allow to heat up about 4-5 minutes depending on grill. When they have heated and left grill marks, turn over and allow to finish grilling on the other side. Set aside when cooked through.

Toast burger buns, place mushroom into bun and top with desired ingredients like onions, blue cheese crumbles, mayo and BBQ sauce.
Promptly devour.

26 Responses to “Steakhouse Marinated Portobello Mushroom Burger”

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — September 10, 2012 @ 11:44 am

HOLY FREAKING YUM! I want this NOW.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 10, 2012 @ 11:48 am

You are such a rebel! And I’m so glad you are because this monstrous burger is amazing!!!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — September 10, 2012 @ 11:52 am

Peeeeerfect! I have been DYING for a portobello mushroom burger (as weird as that sounds, it’s completely true) and yours is so mouthwatering! I love that you marinated it in a great steak marinade and topped it with bacon and all that yummy cheese. Looks fabulous, girly!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — September 10, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

I’m drooling right now! WANT THIS IS MY MOUTH!

Julie @ Table for Two — September 10, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

this looks amazing!!! i’m totally drooling right now even though i just had a huge dinner! your weekend looked awesome and i love that this is not a MEAT burger but a MUSHROOM MEATY BURGER!! noms!

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — September 10, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

Yes. I will have one or twelve of these.

Kathryn — September 10, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

A gorgeous burger and an even more gorgeous picture from Alaska – I hope we’ll be hearing more about your trip? It looks stunning.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — September 10, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

Oh wow Megan! This looks AMAZING… bacon, blue cheese, giant shroomburger! LOVE IT!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — September 10, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

Now THAT is a burger. Ok, maybe not. But Dang, I love mushrooms!

mary — September 11, 2012 @ 5:23 am

honestly – WOW!! this is stunning – it’s breakfast time here but I could wolf this down right now!!!
    Mary x

Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} — September 11, 2012 @ 7:03 am

Yay! This looks SO good and since I’m not much of a meat-eater I’m always looking for good veggie foods!

Lauren — September 11, 2012 @ 7:24 am

These look awesome!

Rachel @ The Henway — September 11, 2012 @ 7:28 am

I have everything but the mushrooms to make this! Woot! I know what we’re having for supper tonight!

Carrie @ Kiss My Whisk — September 11, 2012 @ 7:43 am

This looks absolutely amazing! I want it right now…for breakfast.

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — September 11, 2012 @ 8:07 am

HOLY F&)*)*^(&.

DessertForTwo — September 11, 2012 @ 8:52 am

I saw these burgers on Pinterest and have been completley obsessed! Must make these this week!!!

DessertForTwo — September 11, 2012 @ 8:52 am

ps Claire’s comment is exactly how I feel too!

Kari@Loaves and Dishes — September 11, 2012 @ 11:54 am

I love that this portabella burger actually looks like a meaty burger!

Shut Up & Cook — September 11, 2012 @ 9:22 pm

This looks delicious…you’ve basically combined all of my favorite things into one dish…perhaps the only thing missing is red wine…but I bet we could make some of that happen, right?

Jean Causey — June 7, 2013 @ 9:14 am

Made these beauties last night and they are delish. Didn’t have blue cheese so used a chunky blue cheese dressing and omitted the mayo. They were over the top yummy, drippy great. Love your recipes. Saw this on pinterest.

1. Pingback: Country Cleaver » 25 Best Recipes of 2012

2. Pingback: 32 Burgers That Are Better Than A Girlfriend | GossipViews.com

3. Pingback: 32 Burgers That Are Better Than A Girlfriend - zdouf!

4. Pingback: 32 Burgers That Are Better Than A Girlfriend | sooziQ

5. Pingback: Jeobox – 32 Burgers That Are Better Than A Girlfriend

6. Pingback: Ditch your Girl Frined for a burger. You can, when they are so spiritual. Or ditch your Boy Friend, basically what we mean is BURGER> SIGNIFICANT OTHER | Toasting Toaster