Grilled Salmon Soft Tacos

Just because Labor Day is over doesn’t mean the grills go away. And if they have already, I’m directing you to dig that Grill Master back out, go to the store, grab some wild salmon, and make these.

Once you have consumed one of these you will be able to tame wild creatures, lift heavy objects with ease, and be named GQ’s Man of the Year. Or something.

If nothing else your wife will get off your ass about not incorporating enough veggies into your diet, your cardiologist will stop nagging you about not eating enough foods with Omega 3′s, and Picasso will appear to you in a dream and high five you for making such bright and colorful taco-art.

And really – nothing rules more than fresh wild caught salmon. Exhibit A. B. and C.

#Lawyered -> Also yes, I do add hashtags into real world conversation. That’s just the kind of rebel I am.

Tomorrow I’m taking off for Alaska, again. Ohhh, darn. *insert sarcasm here* Really, I’m jazzed more than any logical, rational or normal person should be. No, no – Ben and I aren’t taking our second honeymoon to Alaska- just having been there two weeks ago. I’m flying up to Cordova to go fishing with Copper River Salmon! Who’s got two double jointed thumbs and is excited? THIS GIRL. Ben on the other hand is ridiculously jealous. And I don’t feel bad about it one bit. That’s the kind of caring wife I am.

So in preparation for said trip – I’ve discovered something about myself. I’m a very logical and rational packer. One who accounts for all possibilities and events.

Proof. Muck boots, Romeos, and heels. What more could a girl need for four days in Cordova? In my defense, we are having a dinner thing, so there might actually be reason to wear the heels. Maybe.

Good thing its a big suitcase.

So tomorrow bright and early I’m leaving on a jet plane (name that song!) and will be adventuring to the Great White North with my soon to be newest buddy – Kaela of Cookin’ and Kickin’. This is going to be an adventure of epic proportions.

And to round out the mental preparation for this adventure up yonder – I made le tacos.

Last Friday I received my latest shipment of Copper River Salmon and decided THIS needed to happen.  And it only seemed appropriate to put to good use all of the Fiestaware plates I (I mean, we) got for our wedding with something equally fiesta-y and colorful – tacos.

*Sidebar* The first inaugural Fiesta-holics Anonymous meeting will be held tonight, anytime. I’ll start – “Hi I’m Megan, and I’m a Feista-holic”. Hiii, Meayyyggannn. Just tweet me for 24.7 support.  We’re here for each other. Amen.

After 8 minutes on the grill, a few cups of shredded green and purple cabbage was mulched and some aioli was whisked – they were done. Colorful, healthy and out of your skull deliciousness doesn’t have to take forever. Proof positive.

I was catapulted away to the waters of Alaska – at least in my own mind – and my tummy was happy. Tacos, Fiestaware, Salmon fish, and a mental vacation in one dish? Yeah, this is winning.

Grilled Salmon Tacos

Yield: 4 tacos

Cook Time: 8 Mintes

4 − 4oz. Salmon fillets, cut in long strips
2 Tbsp Salmon Rub seasoning
1 cup Cilantro
1 cup Green cabbage, shredded
1 cup Purple cabbage, shredded
1 whole carrot, shredded
¼ cup Canola Based Mayonnaise
¼ cup HEB Green Sauce (or Salsa Verde)
5 dashes of Tabasco Chipotle Sauce
4 Soft Tortillas

Heat grill over medium heat. Lay aluminum foil over the grill and spray with non-stick cooking spray. When grill is hot, lay salmon fillets over the foil and sprinkle with salmon rub seasoning. Cover and allow to grill until cooked through. Check to ensure they are not over done. Abut 7-8 minutes on medium heat.

Distribute shredded cabbage, carrots, and cilantro into the soft tacos shells. Set aside.

In small bowl whisk together mayo, green sauce (or salsa verde), and Tabasco sauce. Set aside.

Once salmon is done, remove from grill an allow to rest for 5 minutes, tented with foil. Place salmon into tortillas with vegetables. Drizzle green sauce aioli over the top.
Devour warm.

22 Responses to “Grilled Salmon Soft Tacos”

Carrie@ Bakeaholic Mama — September 5, 2012 @ 12:22 pm

I’m jealous! I’d love to go to Alaska.. once…. but twice in 2 weeks?!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — September 5, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

Fish tacos make me very happy and these are gorgeous!

Jessyka — September 5, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

Be ready for some more fish tacos up in Cordova!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — September 5, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

Fish tacos are the best kind of tacos! Have fun on your trip :)

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — September 5, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

Looks awesome darlin!! Love fish tacos and adore copper river salmon more than my kids. Shhh, don’t tell them I said that. ;)

Carlyn — September 5, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

Not sure if they had South Fork when you were in Pullman, but your tacos look just like theirs! These look delicious, cannot wait to try them!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — September 5, 2012 @ 2:36 pm

F*&( yes.

Julie @ Table for Two — September 5, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

um, YUM!! i love salmon and even more so that this is grilled and topped with some awesome sauce! have so much fun on your trip and i can’t wait to see pictures and follow it all on IG :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — September 5, 2012 @ 5:24 pm

Seriously jealous you get to go to Alaska agaain! Hope you have a great time. The tacos look incredible!

Carrie @ Kiss My Whisk — September 6, 2012 @ 7:58 am

So jealous of your trip and these look amazing!

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — September 6, 2012 @ 9:36 am

I’m seriously jealous. I would love to see Alaska (I’ve never been there)! Plus, I have a dream to go deep sea fishing. Sounds like a blast!!

Jackie @ The Beeroness — September 6, 2012 @ 9:54 am

I’ve never been to Alaska! So jealous. Have fun!

Shut Up & Cook — September 6, 2012 @ 11:59 am

I am fish taco obsessed…so much so that I’ve done them on my blog twice. Twice! The only food group to have earned such an honor. My have always been baja style though, so am excited to give you salmon rendition a try!

Anna @ hiddenponies — September 6, 2012 @ 7:59 pm

Another trip – lucky! These look delicious…I’m hoping our covered patio and milder climate means our grill never gets a seasonal break :)

Jenny @ BAKE — September 7, 2012 @ 7:01 am

what a brilliant idea to have a whole salmon piece in there! these look amazing!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 7, 2012 @ 10:55 am

I never would’ve thought to add salmon to a taco but it’s actually GENIUS! Jason would be over the moon for these. And I totally need to tag along with you to your Alasaka trip :)

Julia {The Roasted Root} — September 7, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

Ohhhh girl! How on earth do I get ahold of Copper River Salmon? Can I get it off their website?? These tacos look awesome! I adore each and every type of fish; and fish tacos with a nice sauce and seasoning is my favorite taco! Great dish and have an awesome time in Alaska!

Monica — September 8, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

Looks like you are having a great time in Alaska…And yeah, I’m a little jealous too! I remember WELL the big thrill when that Copper River Salmon came in. woohooo! (I’ll be there in just over two weeks, will the NW still be amply supplied or do you think I’m just a bit late?)
    Regardless, enjoy the adventures.
    ALOHA!

sunidhi — September 15, 2012 @ 9:12 am

Hi, This looks very yummy and mouth watering. definitely i will try and let u know. you have described it really good anyone can follow it . thanks for a wonderful recipe.

Lesly — January 9, 2013 @ 2:57 pm

I live in Vancouver,BC and enjoy our Pacific coast Salmon almost weekly. If you don’t want to go all the way to Alaska, come visit us! You can’t beat
    Pacific Wild Salmon…be it from up the coast in Alaska or here in beautiful British Columbia! Looking forward to trying your recipe.

• Megan replied: — January 9th, 2013 @ 5:14 pm

As a Seattlite myself – I totally know the wonders of Pacific coast salmon. I’d love to come up to BC again soon sometime. I’ve been trying to drag my husband up north for a nice road trip – hopefully this summer! Hope you like the salmon tacos!

1. Pingback: Pistachio Caramel Cookies | Waldron Publishing