Lavender Honey Ice Cream

You knew this was bound to happen, right? Something lavender was going to make an appearance this summer in one form or another. This time around I chose ice cream.

Sure, it’s been here before in cupcake form and in macarons – but ice cream. How quintessentially summer. And for all you trying to pry your shoes from the asphalt they’ve someone cohesively bonded themselves too – whisk yourself away to a little French cottage with this. Ya know, cause lavender is relaxing and at this point in the summer – I’m sure you could use a little relaxing. And less heat stroke.

This is a public service, really.

For the week I’m staying at my friend Shanda’s place. Have you met her? You should. She’s shabby chic’d the living daylights out of their adorable little place and whilst they’re galavanting up in the Great White North, I’m sitting pretty on a couch with three snoring labradorks – two of which are named HUCK.

Huck. 105 pounds of OMG-I-Want-To-Cuddle-With-Him!

Yup – this has officially been dubbed the #ClusterHUCK of 2012. And better yet – both my Huck and her Huck are labs (something like “duh” should go in here) – with mine being a yellow and her’s a chocolate. Well, both her’s are chocolates. And let me tell you, keep your knees bent because if orthopedic surgery isn’t on your Bucket List – steer clear of this spread. It’s a wiggling, slobbering, maniacal ball of rowdy here – and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Crazy, Precious, Whiny, Needy and Ball Obsessed – Chili. I RUV HER!

Cuddling on the bed is a whole ‘nother adventure. You remember 1998, right? Titanic came out, and “Mmm, Bop” was playing on endless loupe on our DiscMans? Well that scene where Rose is being a snobby, selfish rich girl and not letting Jack on the floating door? Well, let’s just say this is the real life equivalent of the sleeping arangements – I’m starting to feel like Jack. These three gooby mutts have got it all figured out. SPLAY all the arms and asses into Megan all at once and shove her off the bed!

At least the chickens give me more respect. My country dream has come true – there are chickens. Aptly named – Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Don’t worry, these hens are sittin’ purdy in their Le Roost. If there is a mysterious squatter perched in the top of the roost, don’t worry – its just me. It’s nicer than my own apartment. BaKack!! See, I can be a chicken.

The point is Edith – that I’m loving my time here with these furry and feathery creatures. So to keep with the country-esque and French Oui Oui theme – I figured I should stock Shanda’s freezer with this treat to welcome her, Justin and Sage back to the good ol’ US of A. With french country garden flavored ice cream. As they came home from Canada. We’re just all sorts of cultured up in ‘her aren’t we?

What up?

And barring all incidences of me or the dogs devouring it entirely with a spoon or  big fat lab tongues – there will be some left for them. I hope. It might just be too dang good.

Also – Ben, hunny, this is for you. Can you build me a roost? I want some chickens. Funny looking ones with fluffy feathered Clydesdale looking feet and mohawks. That coo’?

Lavender Honey Ice Cream

A relaxing French Country garden in ice cream form.

Yield: 1 1/2 quarts

Prep Time: 2 Hours

Total Time: 2 1/2 Hours

1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
1 pint Whole Milk
5 Egg Yolks
1 cup Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Honey
1 Tbsp Dried Lavender Buds
Purple Food Dye

Prep ice cream bowl according to manufacturer's instructions, possibly the night before if the bowl requires long term freezing.

In large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until light yellow and smooth consistency. Set aside.

In large saucepan over medium high heat, stir together cream, milk and vanilla until just simmering. Turn off heat, and pour lavender buds into the milk mixture. Cover and let steep for about 5-7 minutes. Strain milk with a fine mesh strainer to remove buds. Throw away buds. Gently temper the egg/sugar mixture by whisking in 1/4 cup at a time of the heated milk/cream mixture. When all of the milk/cream has been whisked into the egg mixture, return it all to the saucepan and whisk again until it reaches a slight simmer. Pour the whole mixture into a large bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least two hours, or overnight.

Before putting mixture into ice cream maker, gently whisk in purple food dye to desired lavender color. Then pour mixture into prepared ice cream maker and freeze according to ice cream maker's instructions, about 20 minutes or so depending on manufacturer and model.

During the last 30 seconds of mixing, pour in the 1/4 cup of honey and allow to swirl into the ice cream.

Devour immediately or put into a freezer safe container and freeze to harden, about 2 hours, then devour.

25 Responses to “Lavender Honey Ice Cream”

SprungAtLast — August 10, 2012 @ 5:16 am

Oh wow. I keep thinking I want to do something with lavender – ice cream hadn’t occurred to me. Looks yum!

Mackenzie @SusieFreakingHomemaker — August 10, 2012 @ 5:42 am

Um, yum. Lavender and honey ice cream? I’m sold.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 10, 2012 @ 6:28 am

This ice cream looks and sounds awesome – and I love how FAST you were with your camera to capture those perfect honey drizzles before it ran all over the place or melted into the ice cream :)

val — August 10, 2012 @ 7:15 am

I love the flavor of lavender. The purple hue is gorgeous.

Mal @ The Chic Geek — August 10, 2012 @ 7:28 am

This looks delicious, and the color is absolutely lovely!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — August 10, 2012 @ 7:36 am

Um. that le roost sign KILLS ME!!!! so fancy and cute and fabulous. I want to steal it.

Oh and you know I already LOVE this ice cream :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 10, 2012 @ 7:49 am

I have a lavender plant, and I really have no idea what to make with it. Do I use the flowers or the green part? Guess I need to google some stuff! Or just make this ice cream :) Looks so pretty, and sound amazing with the honey.

Jen @ Savory Simple — August 10, 2012 @ 8:42 am

Lavender is so wonderful in desserts. I’ve thought about making a similar ice cream for ages but I never get around to it. I bet this is heavenly!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — August 10, 2012 @ 8:43 am

As much as I love ice cream, I really want to go play with the pup now lol. Look at that face!!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Culinary Indulgence — August 10, 2012 @ 9:29 am

This ice cream looks to die for! I love the combination of honey and lavender together!

Anna @ hiddenponies — August 10, 2012 @ 10:25 am

What a pretty colour! Great idea!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — August 10, 2012 @ 10:50 am

Love, love, LOVE. Love the labradorks, love the lavender, love the lil’ drizzles of honey on top of your ice cream. This is FANTASTIC!!

shanda foisy — August 10, 2012 @ 10:50 am

SO glad you are having fun! I can’t wait to come home and hopefully sneak a bite of that ice cream. Oh yum!

Cassie — August 10, 2012 @ 2:37 pm

Bring on the lavender girl! I have some in my pantry to make a sweet treat with tomorrow, I can’t wait. Nice call on the ice cream!!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — August 10, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

Now it’s definitely time to buy an ice cream maker! This looks fan-freaking-tastic!

P.S. Can’t wait for #CrepeWeek!

Madeline — August 10, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

I am really getting into making ice cream, making a batch of coffee ice cream right now!

Julie @ Table for Two — August 10, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

so i’m curious, when you say “huck!” do both of them coming running at you or look at you? haha, this looks so freaking good and i love that it’s still summer so i can gobble it up!

Heidi — August 10, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

I LOVE Huck and Chili!!!! When I visit I love when they both jump up in bed with me and even when they smash me into the wall or leave me just two inches from the edge. Because, as you know,..it is THEIR bed, we are just the guest. Wouldnt have it any other way! And yes, in the morning when I look at the blankets or sheets and they are fur/ dirty paw print laiden it makes me love them even more. :)

Cathy @ Noble Pig — August 11, 2012 @ 6:13 am

I want that ice cream now…and those labs…looks just like my Sadie!

Monica — August 13, 2012 @ 3:21 am

Um, this looks amazingly scrumptious! I love lavender anything! But–what the heck is a lavender “bud”? As in flower- bud? I’ll go back and re-read, it is late and I may be overlooking…:)
    I want to try this for sure!!

Carrie@ Bakeaholic Mama — August 13, 2012 @ 4:41 am

3 labs at once… your throwing arm must be tired! Love the looks of this ice cream. It’s gorgeous!

Also…. I’m currently making the words up to Mmm Bob in my head right now. I never did know what the heck they were singing.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — August 13, 2012 @ 5:56 am

I don’t know if I’m more obsessed with the amazing ice cream (I totally need to make that with the huge pot of lavender I have outside!) or the cuteness of those pups.
    Probably the pups, but the ice cream is a very close second ;)

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — August 13, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

I really really want to try lavender ice cream. I guess I’ll have to make it myself, because I can’t find anyplace around here that sells it! This looks sooo summery and delicious!!

Katie @ Oh Shine On — August 14, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

Oh my gosh I am drooling over this recipe. I can’t believe how delicious it sounds. Is it totally necessary to let the heated mixture sit in the fridge for two hours or is it okay to just pour it directly into the prepared ice cream maker to begin the churning process?

Jenny @ BAKE — August 16, 2012 @ 4:34 am

those labs look adorable! lavender icecream sounds the best!