Blueberry Lemon Glazed Doughnuts

Is it “doughnuts”? Or “donuts”? This really seems a open to interpretation – and as long as you mean baked goods slathered in dripping powdered sugar – I think everyone is of the opinion that it doesn’t matter how you spell it, as long as they taste good.

Noted.

Well, these are slathered in dripping sugar, baked (not fried), and they’re squishy, carby and full of satisfying deliciousness.

So whether they’re doughnuts, donuts or carb laden rings of fantabulousness, just go with it.

This weekend was spent doing a copious amount of last minute wedding planning that saw me hit the wall, back up, hit it again and then devour an unreasonable amount of cupcakes from our wedding cupcake vendor and a bowl of fruit salad that could have doubled as an ark just so I could cope with the overload of the comically long list of to-dos that just doesn’t seem to get shorter.

In between the rounds of wedding planning, detail orchestrating and choosing of wedding flowers, I was able to steal away for a walk about Ben’s hometown as the sun came up. Who needs sleeping in on the weekends? The three mutts running around the house all wanting to play sure didn’t think sleeping in was necessary.

As I donned le yoga pants, hitched up the hound and sauntered off with disheveled morning hair in a half assed bun I walked right into this – the picture above. Mood lightened, heart singing songs from Oklahoma off key and feeling instantly revitalized. All without caffeine. It was a miracle, indeed.  If the above picture doesn’t accurately illustrate my love for the Palouse, I don’t know how else I can convince you… its home.

About the time that I cross the mountain pass and the trees turn from leafy greens to bull pines I can literally breathe a little deeper and unclaw my fingers from my steering wheel. And yes, I do mean literally.

So to extend the fruit and baked good trend the ruled my weekend food consumption – I made these. Somewhere in between them both I have found my middle ground – healthy, fruity and sufficiently carby. Heaven.

You know you wanna be a rebel. Just make ‘em. You carbo-loading rebel, you.

For more blueberry-tastic recipes check out www.littlebluedynamos.com  for some true blue deliciousness.

Check out these other baked donut recipes that will get your day started right!

Dirty Chai Donuts - Chai Donuts with a Coffee Glaze

IMG_6040-Final-560x373

Cranberry Orange Donuts – They taste like Christmas

Cranberry-Orange-Donuts-www_countrycleaver_com_

Baked Apple Fritters with a Whiskey Glaze – Duh!

IMG_52171-560x560

1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
FOR THE GLAZE:
1 cup Powdered Sugar
4 Tbsp. Milk
1 tsp Lemon Zest
1/4 Vanilla Bean Scraped of Caviar

Preheat your oven to 425F.

In small saucepan over medium high heat, add blueberries, sugar and lemon juice. Mash blueberries until only a few remain whole. Heat and stir until boiling. Remove from heat and allow to cool and thicken. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
 Beat in greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla, milk and melted butter until fully incorporated.

Spray doughnut pan with non-stick spray, filling each cavity with ¼-1/3 cup doughnut batter. Dollop two to three tsp of blueberry jam on top doughnut batter in each doughnut pan cavity. Using a knife swirl the jam into the doughnut batter. Bake in oven for 9 minutes, or until light golden brown.

Allow to cool on wire rack.

In small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon zest, milk and vanilla bean caviar until sugar is dissolved and mixture is runny.
 Pour over each doughnut, or dunk tops of doughnuts into glaze and turn right side up to set. Serve while still slightly warm.

Adapted from Wilton Dougnut Pan Recipe

*Note* Chobani, one of the sponsors of this year’s 2012 Olympic Team (yay, USA!) sent me a pack of their 0% Vanilla Greek Yogurt. I was not compensated for this post – but dang does it make for some super protein packed and utterly moist doughnuts. And did I mention 10% of Chobani’s profits go to charity? Not bad, not bad at all.

90 Responses to “Blueberry Lemon Glazed Doughnuts”

Mary — July 31, 2012 @ 4:29 am

Oh YUM! These look gorgeous. I’m running out to buy a donut pan this morning!

DessertForTwo — July 31, 2012 @ 4:57 am

Love your Palouse photo :)

I, too, don le yoga pants most days, haha!

I need these donuts/doughnuts for breakfast, stat!

Isabelle @ Crumb — July 31, 2012 @ 6:11 am

I spell it donut… mostly because I’m lazy, and it takes too many darn letters to spell “doughnut”. So there.
    Now if only I had a donut pan, these babies could be mine. All mine. (Which, now that I think of it, probably explains why I don’t have a donut pan… aside from being lazy, I also have zero willpower.)

Cassie — July 31, 2012 @ 6:15 am

I stinking LOVE these Megan! I say donuts because I’m lazy and it’s easier to type :). I can’t wait to try these!! PS – I would live in yoga pants if I didn’t have to go to work every day!

Amy @ The Nifty Foodie — July 31, 2012 @ 6:47 am

These look delicious! Out of laziness, I usually spell them at donuts. :-)

Kathryn — July 31, 2012 @ 6:48 am

These are the prettiest doughnuts I’ve ever seen!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — July 31, 2012 @ 7:00 am

I spell it doughnuts. I always thought that donuts was the dunkin’-created way of spelling it

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 31, 2012 @ 7:07 am

I say “donuts” purely for simplicity purposes even though I know the other way is more grammatically correct. R-E-B-E-L.
    That picture is unreal. I’m not a country girl, but seeing that makes me want to be one.
    Oh, and the “donuts”…gimme.

NanaBread (Jeanne) — July 31, 2012 @ 7:11 am

Something about a fruit-laden baked donut just makes me think “Health Food” – especially when I see that it’s also chock full of fat-free yogurt. I’m, c’mon! It’s practically GOOD for you! And you know who would flip his lid for these? Jonah Bear. That boy l-o-v-e-s his blueberries. :)

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 10:55 am

Healthy? Yeah. Let’s go with that. haha And if Jonah Bear loves blueberries, I would totally make these for him myself!! Hooray for J Bear! I like this kid already.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — July 31, 2012 @ 7:35 am

These might be the best donuts ever! I really wish I had a couple of these for breakfast.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — July 31, 2012 @ 7:37 am

Megan – i am all about lemon + blueberries this summer! And these donuts might be the prettiest and tastiest looking baked good combining them both! You are so stinkin’ creative to throw these into a baked donut!

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 10:54 am

Blueberries have been ruling my summer fruit consumption. There is no way around it. They people at the store must think I’m nuts, because every week I’m buying another 2-pound box of ‘em!

Shut Up & Cook — July 31, 2012 @ 10:50 am

Lady…you are killing me with these posts! So decadent and delicious…wow!

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 10:54 am

Killing you softly with my song…I mean, donuts… hahah Happy to help!! haha

Jackie @ The Beeroness — July 31, 2012 @ 11:59 am

I love these. And to make me feel less guilty, I will be calling them “Ring Shaped Muffins” when I make them.

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 10:53 am

Ring Shaped Muffins? That’s brilliant and not nearly so full of guilt!! WIN!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 31, 2012 @ 12:48 pm

Gorgeous photo. My only gripe here… baked. Sigh! lol ;) And I call em donuts but that’s probably because of Dunkin’ Donuts but who knows.

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 10:53 am

I know – fried are always the best way to make ‘em. These just have a little less guilt with the baking. But I imagine they taste pretty dang amazing fried too…

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — July 31, 2012 @ 1:32 pm

HOLY YUM!!!! :)

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — July 31, 2012 @ 2:55 pm

Prettiest donuts ever. I can’t bring myself to buy a donut pan because I really like ‘em fried! But these are making me strongly reconsider.

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 10:52 am

I know – the fried ones are ALWAYS the best, but the baked ones fix my cravings so I don’t go overboard hahah It takes a lot of willpower.

Baking Serendipity — July 31, 2012 @ 5:43 pm

You can definitely call these whatever you’d like…I love them!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — July 31, 2012 @ 6:03 pm

I love blueberry doughnuts. These look fantastic! PINNED!

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 10:52 am

Thanks Aimee! So glad you like ‘em. Blueberries and me are inseparable in the summer.

Julie @ Table for Two — July 31, 2012 @ 6:14 pm

omg, give me a dozen of these!! we should totally make these when you come, well, if we can find blueberries, but i’m obsessed that it has lemon glaze!!

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 10:52 am

I will SOOOO make these for your when I come out to visit. Or since it will be fall – we’ll have to make an apple fritter version??

Julia {The Roasted Root} — July 31, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

Ohhh the swirly blueberry donuts with the sweet vanilla-y glaze! sigh…..these are the most beautiful donuts I have ever seen! My favorite donut growing up was a blueberry glazed donut, but there is no doubt in my mind that yours are about a million times better than the overly processed ones I used to eat. Sign me up for swirly blueberry donut!

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 10:51 am

I brought the rest of them into work yesterday and they are GONE today, so they must be tasty. At least all the guys thought so. And they’re almost healthy-ish haha. But hey, sometimes the processed ones are pretty dang good. Can’t knock those completely haha.

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — August 1, 2012 @ 8:08 am

I seriously need to get the donut pan… Love these!

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 10:38 am

You totally need a donut pan. The possibilities are endless!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — August 1, 2012 @ 10:43 am

These are amazing – totally drooling right now! Wish I had a donut pan though :(

Loved looking through all the posts for your shower today. Congrats!

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

Thanks Erin! And I command you to buy a doughnut pan. They’re healthy cause they’re baked! Or so my carbo-loading sub-conscious tells me. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 1, 2012 @ 10:47 am

Dont even know what to say about how GREAT!!! these look! So fat and plump and bursting with blueberries – oh wow, amazing job on these! And I think we were both linked in that HuffPo feature? Or else I’ve just seen lots of people cooking for your virtual shower, right? Either way…congrats!

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 8:17 pm

Averie – A Huff Post feature? Do you have a link?!? I’m dying to see!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 1, 2012 @ 10:48 am

BTW I always make donuts with AP flour but now that I see how plump yours are and I may switch to cake flour – or add some yogurt. Which do you think is more of a key ingredient Otherwise all our ingredients are the same, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 c sugar, 1 c flour and 1 egg for 6 donuts, double for 12, give or take.

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — August 1, 2012 @ 4:24 pm

GAH! I love the flavors of blueberry and lemon together. *drooling* I seriously can’t wait to make these doughnuts!

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

Blueberries and lemon have been ruling my world lately. Now when the blackberries finally ripen, all bets are off. I’ll have black and blue fingers for weeks!

Joni — August 1, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Your back-story literally had me laughing out loud! I haven’t read such funny writing in a long time. “…backed up and hit it again…”. You are such a writer. A gifted one. I needed this laugh.

It was the blueberry lemon donut on Pinterest, however, that got me here though. Make no mistake! Thank you.

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 7:44 pm

Joni, I’m so happy you came by! Thanks so much! Hope to see you back again soon :)

Ashley — August 1, 2012 @ 6:24 pm

Wow – I’m so happy I found your blog (through all the ladies who threw you a virtual bridal shower, no less!) These doughnuts (that’s how I spell it), are on the verge of ridiculous and have me lusting for them at this very moment! Glad to **meet you.

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

Ashley, I’m so happy to meet you!Those girls rocked my socks off, they blew my mind with that bridal shower. Hope you enjoy the heck out of the doughnuts. See you around soon I hope! :)

Kirsten — August 1, 2012 @ 7:01 pm

Dude. These are SO happening in my house tomorrow morning! I can’t get enough lemons or blueberries right now. It’s kind of ridiculous, actually.

• Megan replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

I want photos of the result!

Deborah — August 1, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

Ok, so this is my reasoning that doesn’t make a lot of sense, but I still use it. Doughnuts are fried – and yeasted. Donuts have no yeast and are baked. I guess I figure that if they are yeasted, they are made of “dough”, so they get called doughnuts. Told you it doesn’t make total sense, but I’m sticking with it!!

These look amazing, and I’m going to have to try them!

heidi @foodiecrush — August 1, 2012 @ 10:03 pm

I for one am thrilled these are baked. How else could I justify having the entire pan for me and my Smudge? Delish, congrats and high five, claps to you and the man.

I'm At Home Baking — August 2, 2012 @ 4:15 am

Wow, these look so delicious!!!

Kari@Loaves and Dishes — August 2, 2012 @ 9:09 am

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! The virtual shower looked like tons of fun. These donuts look messy and delicious, just like a donut should.

As A Verb — August 2, 2012 @ 11:07 am

HOLY WOW these look absolutely incredible. I have been loving the combo of blueberry & lemons lately, I’d have never thought of this though! I’m so excited these are baked too, cannot wait to make them!

Liz — August 2, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

Oh, my gosh, these look scrumptious!! I want to eat way too many of these then scoop up all the glaze drips and eat those, too! I loved seeing your virtual shower…sending my best wishes for your upcoming wedding!

val — August 2, 2012 @ 4:24 pm

Sweet Heavens To Betsy!!! I’m a donut addict in every sense of the word.

Chelsea Whitehead — August 5, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

Is there any way I can avoid using Greek yogurt? I really don’t like it’s consistancy or the weird tang-y taste. I’m new to your blog & absolutely LOVE it! Consider yourself pinned :)

Doris — August 15, 2012 @ 6:52 am

In addition to the fantastic blueberry-lemon donut combo (which I’m hoping will work in my small electric donut maker), I just wanted to thank you for the photo you attached. It touched my heart and had to immediately google the Palouse. Wow…thanks for the bonus!!

Jaime F — August 27, 2012 @ 11:19 am

I want to make these for a friend’s brunch party! I see that it yields 12 donuts — did you use a regular size doughnut (see what I did there? :) pan (which fits 6) and just do these twice, or did you use a mini donut pan that makes 12 in one shot? Thanks!

Malinda H — November 3, 2012 @ 6:57 am

I just made these for my husband for breakfast. Mine don’t look as pretty! I overfilled the pan and there are no “holes” in them.

amelia — December 8, 2012 @ 5:17 pm

What percent Greek yogurt do you recommend?? I want to try these :)

julie — January 16, 2013 @ 3:43 pm

Wow these look amazing!! I’m wondering since I do not own a donut pan would it be possible to bake like a coffee cake in say an 8×8 baking dish????

• Megan replied: — January 16th, 2013 @ 7:16 pm

Hi Julie,

I’ve never tested it in a baking dish, but hey it could be worth a shot!! Let me know how it turns out! Good luck :)

Maree Plane — January 18, 2013 @ 7:45 pm

I’ll change it to raspberries, cos my husband and I don’t like blueberries, I call it DONUTS

Bye
    Maree Plane

Sia — March 14, 2013 @ 12:12 am

I have to make these right now! They look incredible. I have a massive bag of frozen blueberries in my freezer. Perfect recipe for them. Will need to change the flour to almond meal and the yoghurt to coconut cream and the milk to rice milk though as I am wheat and lactose intolerant. I am sure it will work out. Even if it doesn’t I am sure the result will be ridiculously delicious! Wish me luck.

Bri Gordon — April 25, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

Please give me a chocolate doughnuts recipe

Bri Gordon — April 25, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

Baked the lemon blueberry ones they were great!

Lindsey — August 6, 2013 @ 9:23 am

Hi! I saw these on Pinterest and NEED to make them. I LOVE blueberries, and especially the lemon/blueberry combo. I make a blueberry lemon ricotta pancake (sometime yogurt instead of the ricotta) all the time and it is delicious! A couple questions though… I don’t have a donut pan, and have a VERY small kitchen so I can’t justify purchasing a uni-tasker. Could I make these in a muffin tin? How would you adjust the cooking time and temperature? Thanks!

• Megan replied: — August 6th, 2013 @ 10:47 am

Hi Lindsay! I totally understand the small kitchen fiasco. I have not made these in a muffin tin before, but I suspect that they will be very tasty as muffins. I would definitely bake them longer, but 350 is a pretty common baking temperature. A good rule of thumb is to bake them until you smell them – when you can smell em baking, you know they’re almost done :) good luck!

Jasey McBurnett — January 16, 2014 @ 3:19 pm

This look insane! I shared them on my facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/JaseysCrazyDaisy

Teri — January 19, 2014 @ 8:54 am

These look wonderful…. and I might sound weird asking this .. I was hoping someone else would have asked… But as of yet I have not seen it addressed :(
    What is ….Vanilla Bean Scraped of Caviar
    Thanks … :)

RCoop — January 19, 2014 @ 5:44 pm

I have NEVER felt the need to post on a website, but you are KILLING me with these! OMG I am going to go purchase a donut (or doughnut) pan and will be making these very soon. They look so amazing, I want to lick my computer. Wow! Thank you!

To Teri, get a vanilla bean pod and scrape out the inside ;-)

anita — January 20, 2014 @ 5:02 am

how to make those without donut maker? will over be suitable and make them in a form of bun?

• Megan replied: — January 20th, 2014 @ 5:10 am

You can try making them in a muffin tin. I know some people have tried that before.

Mzbeth — March 12, 2014 @ 11:58 pm

How big are your donut pans? I made a half batch and used a mini bundt pan and got 12 easily! Are yours Krispy Kreme sized donuts? Ps they’re still awesome :)

1. Pingback: Back to School Blueberry Swirl Donuts « I Need to Bake

2. Pingback: How Did it Get Here so Fast!?! | From Florida to North Dakota

3. Pingback: PinLaVie... Make your pins come true – Blueberry Lemon Glazed Doughnuts

4. Pingback: {Resource} Valentine’s Tea Party « Kitchen Pots & Tabletops

5. Pingback: Biscoff Glaze Recipe for Homemade Baked Doughnuts

6. Pingback: A Fussy Breakfast | Boomtown Sisters

7. Pingback: Farmers Market: Blueberry Lemon Glazed Doughnuts | COUTUREcolorado LIFE & STYLE {online magazine + resource guide inspiring the modern colorado woman}

8. Pingback: Country Cleaver Blueberry Pecan Crumble Coffee Cake » Country Cleaver

9. Pingback: 20 Delightful Donut Recipes! | The Domestic Rebel

10. Pingback: Currently Loving | Major Shenanniegans

11. Pingback: 40 Delicious Blueberry Recipes - Three Loud Kids

12. Pingback: 25 Lemon Recipes - My Blog / Website

13. Pingback: Healthy Alternative - Baked Doughnut Recipes | Favorite Food RecipesFavorite Food Recipes

14. Pingback: Healthy Alternative – Baked Doughnut Recipes | Coook2.Me

15. Pingback: Lemon Baked Donut Holes with Lemon Sugar - Recipe Runner

16. Pingback: Baked Blueberry Lemon-Glazed Doughnuts Recipe - Seven Foods Of Heaven

17. Pingback: 25+ Donut Recipes | A Night Owl Blog