PW Wednesday – Carnitas Pizza and Mango Margaritas

Another Wednesday, another PW recipe! Am I the only one digging this series? Knowing that there are four other fabulous women cooking the same recipe across the country just makes your heart sing. This ongoing series has been a way to join us together over the great expanse of this country and get a chance to laugh at all of chaos coming out of our kitchen and revel in the deliciousness that we’ve all created, together.

This week’s selection came from Gina of Running to the Kitchen. And with another PW Wednesday comes another Mexican recipe. Between today’s carnitas pizza, margaritas and our introductory recipe of Fried Chicken Tacos – we are a group that clearly loves their south of the border fare.

Ree’s mango margaritas went down in the quickest of ways. A batch of these chilly delights was made for the parental units after they threw in the towel on hard day’s work in their yard. My timing is nothing but impeccable…I show up after the work is done. But it was good timing when as soon as they were seated they were handed a glass of fruity, frosted and boozy goodness.

Win for everyone!

Between three of us one batch of the margaritas was thrown back and all was right in the world. And let me tell you now, these are a margarita that will catch up with you. My mom, a notorious teetotaler, couldn’t even taste the swirling sin of booze in these bad boys! I cut back on the booze to avoid looking like an alki in front of my parents but I could still taste the 2 cups of booze remaining.

It wasn’t until Sunday night after coming home that I was able to whip up the pizza. Carnitas on pizza – how could this be sad?

With a handful of seasons all mixed and ready to go – the meat was a cinch to make.

As per Ree’s recipe I sourced myself a 3 pound chuck roast, slathered it in spice and seared in the dutch oven.

The required pineapple juice addition to braise the meat in – the roast was tender and pull apart at the end.

And really – any pizza topped with an entire caramelized onion makes me furiously happy.

*Fact* I bought a pizza stone a few months ago for all of my ceaseless and waist expanding bread baking… do yourself a favor and buy one if you enjoy homemade pizza. It’s magical. Crust has never been crispier and simultaneously chewier.

Final Verdict: Margaritas are a drink I will never say “no” too. Since I couldn’t track down jarred or canned mangoes, I bought the fresh version. Depending on the season, it could get spendy. But oh so fantastically worth it. The pizza? Good. But it needed heat. Lots more heat. And that’s coming from me, a notorious heat hater. Carnitas need that kick and these didn’t quite to do. It’s a PW recipe, so of course it was good – just not what I was expecting. So, go make this yourself and see what you think. You’re response? “Challenge, Accepted!”. Okay good, settled.  Me and the girls enjoyed Buffalo sauce on top. Just a suggestion.

Go check out the rest of the girl’s take on this PW recipe -

Gina – Running to the Kitchen – Gina has the full recipe for this Carnitas Pizza!!

Julie – Table for Two

Rachel – Baked By Rachel

Tina – My Life as a Mrs.

Mango Margaritas

An instant summer classic!

1 limes
2 Tbsp Coarse Sugar
2 − 20oz. jars Mango Chunks of 5 Fresh Mangoes
1 1/2 cup Tequila
1 1/2 cup Triple Sec
1/2 cup Sugar

Zest limes, combine zest with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Use to coat rims of margarita glasses by swiping wedge of lime along rim of glass and dip glasses into into sugar/lime mix. Set aside.
In blender combine remaining ingredients, including juice of both zested limes. Blend until smooth. Distribute amongst glasses and enjoy!

Adapted from Ree Drummond's Mango Margaritas

25 Responses to “PW Wednesday – Carnitas Pizza and Mango Margaritas”

Kathryn — May 2, 2012 @ 3:06 am

Seriously just looking at this made my stomach rumble – I didn’t realise how much I was craving pizza until I saw this. Another great post and I really like hearing your honest opinions of the recipes too.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — May 2, 2012 @ 4:09 am

I was *this* close to buying a pizza stone just for this recipe. Maybe I’ll treat myself to one sometime.

Rachel Cooks (formerly Not Rachael Ray) — May 2, 2012 @ 4:24 am

“The swirling sin of booze,” LOL! I love that you used fresh mangoes in the margarita, I bet that is way better!

Julie @ Table for Two — May 2, 2012 @ 4:42 am

agreed. needs more heat!! but never say no to a margarita!! and yours looks so refreshing!! yummm!

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — May 2, 2012 @ 5:02 am

I think that margarita looks out of this world. I really need to get a copy of this book. My cookbook collection is not complete without it! You guys make me hungry every week on PW Wednesdays!

amy @ fearless homemaker — May 2, 2012 @ 5:16 am

i can totally see how the carnitas pizza would need heat. if i make it, i’ll definitely have to pump it up. and those margaritas? holy moly, they look amazing! you’re so sweet to deliver some to your parents – world’s best daughter! =)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — May 2, 2012 @ 6:03 am

I think you posting the margarita recipe worked out best b/c you actually have a full picture of it and mine all came out seriously craptastic. Thank you for 3 hour time zone differences and you being up last night ;)
    I say if we all can coordinate the Food blog PDX thing, we should all get together and actually make one of these recipes together!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 2, 2012 @ 7:52 am

Love the combination of a carnitas pizza and margaritas – perfect! Both look so delicious and perfect for Saturday’s festivities!

Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen — May 2, 2012 @ 8:24 am

I love mango season! I must try a mango margarita – that just can’t be bad. The pizza looks amazing, meaty, and substantial. My boys would love it!

Cassie — May 2, 2012 @ 8:33 am

Delicious. I love your honest feedback and will definitely add some heat with the pizza. Definitely making this!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — May 2, 2012 @ 8:43 am

Heat never hurt anything! I could totally go for one of these margaritas today, mango sounds so good!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — May 2, 2012 @ 11:13 am

This looks delish! I like a little heat too though. And the margarita! Oh, yummy!!!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — May 2, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

The margaritas look soooo tasty! I love a fruity cocktail when the weather gets warm. You girls picked a great recipe. I still need to pick up a copy of the Pioneer Woman’s cookbook – your ladies posts have looked so great, I want to try all the recipes!

Baking Serendipity — May 2, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

I seriously cannot get over that margarita! Perfect summer drink :)

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — May 3, 2012 @ 11:20 am

Mmmmm…margaritas are the best! Can’t wait for summer to officially arrive!

Heather B — May 3, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

This looks like the perfect summer combo – so inspired. Thanks for sharing these awesome recipes and photos to go with em. I just found your blog through Casey’s and I’m book markin’ it as we speak!

myfudo — May 3, 2012 @ 6:37 pm

A refreshing margarita with a really exquisite taste. I love! =)

1. Pingback: Carnitas Pizza | Baked by Rachel

2. Pingback: Pioneer Woman’s Carnitas Pizza

3. Pingback: PW Wednesday’s: Carnitas Pizza » Table for Two

4. Pingback: Country Cleaver » PW Wednesday – Billie’s Italian Creme Cake

5. Pingback: Country Cleaver » PW Wednesday – Ranch Style Chicken

6. Pingback: Country Cleaver » PW Wednesday: The Finale

7. Pingback: Country Cleaver 25 Super Bowl Recipes for Your Game Day Feast » Country Cleaver

8. Pingback: Pizza Week: Pepperoni Rolls Two Ways | Inside NanaBread's Head