Orange Mint Julep

It’s Derby de Mayo, y’all! Time to celebrate! In true derby fashion I whipped up a mint julep with a spin. This baby will have you drawlin’ Southern style in no time!

So don your hat, the bigger the better and sip down one of these babies.

Who are you placing your bets on?

Source yourself 3 orange mint leaves,

3 Kentucky Colonel Spearmint leaves, (as per tradition)

some bourbon whiskey, Triple Sec, ice, sugar, a muddler and a heavy bottom glass.

Place half the ice into a heavy glass and top with mint leaves. Smashy smashy with your muddler until the leaves have been pulverized and their essential oils released.

Top with 2 ounces bourbon, 1 ounce triple sec and 1 tsp sugar. Stir together until sugar has dissolved.

Pour over other half of ice and garnish with additional mint leaves. Viola! No – off to the track!

Orange Mint Julep

2 ounces Bourbon
1 ounce Triple Sec
1 tsp Sugar
3 Orange Mint Leaves, extra for garnish
3 Spearmint leaves, plus extra for garnish
1 1/2 cup Ice

With half of ice in heavy bottom glass, top with mint leaves and spearmint leaves - smashing with muddler or wooden spoon until leaves have been pulverized and ice has begun to chip. Top with bourbon, triple sec and sugar. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Strain if you prefer, or transfer into clean heavy bottom glass, pouring over the rest of the ice. Garnish with additional mint leaves. Sip.

8 Responses to “Orange Mint Julep”

Julie @ Table for Two — May 5, 2012 @ 6:46 pm

Wish we could drink this together!!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — May 5, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Very pretty mint plant! My boyfriend’s dad was asking about mint juleps tonight as we were standing around drinking margaritas…wish I had this recipe a few hours ago, cause none of us knew how to make one! Great recipe and pretty cocktail!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — May 5, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

I’m definitely going to be needing this tomorrow!

Kathryn — May 6, 2012 @ 1:15 am

The only time I like mint is in boozy cocktails so this has my name written all over it!

Cassie — May 6, 2012 @ 5:25 am

You nailed it on this one. Nothing better this time of year!

Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} — May 6, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

This sounds amazing. I love a good mint julep and the orange just put’s it over the top. Yum!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — May 7, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

What a great drink. Too bad I didn’t see this until today :( Oh well, there is always tonight!

Kirsten — May 8, 2012 @ 7:15 pm

As I confessed the other day, bourbon scares me. But I adore mint & triple sec, so this might be the one cocktail to get me to try it!