Swiss Mushroom Sliders – PW Wednesday

Someone might actually have to physically come remove these mini-burgers out of my hands, because I Can’t. Stop. Eating. Them. But be careful, if you do try and remove them I can’t promise I won’t fight back… You’ve officially been warned.

For this installment of PW Wednesday, we elected to recreate Pioneer Woman‘s Swiss Mushroom Sliders from her new cookbook. I’ve been on a sweet kick as of late and was really thinking it was time to put a little hitch in my giddyup with a savory dish…and burgers just screamed my name. They always scream my name. Ask me on any given day what my hormones are craving and I will without blinking say “a burger”. And a chocolate banana milkshake with onion rings, too. But that’s a whole ‘nother story.

The other girls in these cahoots of culinary-epicness followed suit and we all ran into the kitchens and proceeded to gorge ourselves on these little babies. Burger babies in my belly.

Fact: Everything is cuter in miniature form, especially sliders.

For the first part – and the easiest – I began by whipping up my favorite condiment creation, fry sauce. Fry sauce isn’t “a thing” over here in Seattle, so when college began and it was everywhere – it was a miraculous thing. And now I consume no burger without it. 50/50 ketchup and mayo, whisk and done. Ms. Ree didn’t do a 50/50 blend for this recipe, so I took it upon myself to rectify this egregious error. (I kid!)

To the fry sauce, it also called for a teaspoon of cayenne pepper – wooo hooo! Zippy.

The next step included chopping up a slough of mushrooms. Since I had a ton of fresh spring morels my brother hunted at my disposal, I added them to the mix taking up about half of the mushroom allotment. They were divine. Ugly as sin to look at (Hello, Brain) but they’re perfectly suited to this mix.

Into a large skillet these babies went with a mound of diced onions to reduce and become divine. Oh, and did I mention that red wine was added? Cause it was. That’s how  I Ree rolls. This is her recipe after all.

When mixing the burgers together, I never would have guessed at adding cream to the beef but dang it is absolutely splendid. Each little baby burger was perfectly moist and I eat them with all the love in my heart.

Each little burger was fried in the cast iron with a healthy heap of butter, as PW would do it no other way. In retrospect, although they’re delicious (what isn’t better with butter?), my arms and waistline couldn’t take much more splattering fat. These would be equally epic if they were grilled as well. And less mess in your kitchen. I’m running low on Clorox wipes here…

After feeding myself and two others these burgers, one being a guy that has a hollow leg (ie: he eats A. LOT.), we were sufficiently stuffed and still contemplating unceremoniously shoving just one more burger baby into our faces because they were so unbelievably tasty.

In conclusion – Make these. Just make them. Don’t be a hero. Succumb to the power of the baby burger. Coddle it and treat it well. And unbutton your jeans. It’ll be worth it in the end.

And don’t forget to check out the girls’ posts to see how their Swiss Sliders turned out!

Julie from Table for Two Blog, Tina from My Life as a Mrs., Gina from Running to the Kitchen and Rachel from Baked By Rachel!

Mushroom Swiss Sliders with Spicy Fry Sauce

8 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
Salt and Pepper
2 1/2 pounds Ground Beef
1/4 cup Heavy Cream
6 slices Swiss Cheese, cut into squares
12 dinner or Slider Rolls

In small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, ketchup and cayenne pepper until evenly mixed. Set aside.
In large skillet heat 3 tablespoons butter, and saute diced onions until they start to soften. Add in finely diced mushrooms, continue sautéing until mushrooms begin to soften, 3 minutes. Add in red or white wine along with 4 dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Cook until mushrooms soften and the wine has mostly evaporated. Set aside.
In large bowl, mix together ground beef along with heavy cream. Knead together and mix in salt, pepper and remaining Worcestershire sauce. Divide into 12 portions and form into balls. Press down the middle of each ball so the sliders don't puff up too much while frying.
Heat large skillet with remaining butter, and fry sliders 4 at a time until cooked to your liking, about 3-4 minutes a side. While finishing frying in pan, top with mushroom onion mixture and swiss cheese. Allow to cook until the cheese melts.
Toast slider rolls, slather on spicy fry sauce, add burger and devour!

Original recipe by Ree Drummond.

The Pioneer Woman's Swiss Mushroom Sliders

37 Responses to “Swiss Mushroom Sliders – PW Wednesday”

Cassie — April 18, 2012 @ 3:07 am

No way I’d stop eating these either. Cayenne, mushrooms, swiss? Love, love, love!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — April 18, 2012 @ 3:23 am

Sliders are wonderful and a mushroomy slider definitely has an eat-as-many-of-me-as-possible appeal. Your sliders look awesome – I’d love a plateful of them with melted swiss cheese any night of the week :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 17, 2012 @ 9:58 pm

Yeah, I’d eat all 12 sliders here. There’s no self-control there. And great job on the addition of the fry-sauce! You are a genius!

Kathryn — April 18, 2012 @ 1:57 am

I pretty much am always craving a burger too and mini burgers? Just the best thing ever!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — April 18, 2012 @ 4:27 am

Yours turned out great… and not a single issue?!

Julie @ Table for Two — April 18, 2012 @ 4:39 am

great choice on this one, megs!! they were soooo good. yours turned out really great :)

Jen @ Juanita's Cocina — April 18, 2012 @ 4:48 am

Fabulous. Grease and all.

But, do you know what was most fabulous of all?

The clorox wipes. Because I heart me some clorox wipes. In a way no woman should.

Blog is the New Black — April 18, 2012 @ 5:25 am

These look WONDERFUL!

Stacey @ Savory & Sweet — April 18, 2012 @ 5:38 am

Yum, yum, and yummy! I gotta say, yours came out the most scrumptious looking! :)

Rachel Cooks (formerly Not Rachael Ray) — April 18, 2012 @ 6:39 am

They look so great on all of your blogs! Yum! I love seeing the different photos.

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — April 18, 2012 @ 7:04 am

Why stop eating them? They’re miniature and thus not at all fattening.

NanaBread (Jeanne) — April 18, 2012 @ 7:44 am

Burgers & mushrooms & cayenne = genius!
    These look fabulous, and that fry sauce is right up my alley. One whole teaspoon of cayenne!?!? My lips are burning just thinking about it. Yum!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — April 18, 2012 @ 10:08 am

Girl, you crack me up! “…and I eat them with all the love in my heart.” bahaha!
    I had never even heard of fry sauce until seeing this recipe so apparently I’ve been hiding under some big ass rock, huh?
    I’m hoping you chugged that beer in the background with these. I wanted a beer so badly last night with the rest of them but all I had was the leftover wine from the mushrooms (not an entirely horrible option but not the same).

DessertForTwo — April 18, 2012 @ 10:40 am

I need something zippy for dinner tonight! Thanks :)

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — April 18, 2012 @ 11:34 am

These look so flippin good. With beers for sure.

Rina@Itheecook — April 18, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

Yummy!!

Megan — April 18, 2012 @ 12:48 pm

These look sinful and absolutely amazing!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — April 18, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

Oh my, all kind of yum in these little burgers. I love the mushroom and swiss!

tina — April 18, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

Great pick lady! ;) they were DELISH!!! PS- hubs has a hollow leg too! haha

amy @ fearless homemaker — April 19, 2012 @ 6:37 am

i saw these on rachel + julie’s blogs, too – they look + sound sooo good! also it is weird that i’ve never heard of or fried fry sauce? i feel like i’ve been living under a rock! must try it soon!

bravoerunway — April 19, 2012 @ 11:23 am

I am just like you….mini burgers are my #1 barfood selection! There’s a place in the city called PJ Clarke’s that has the best mini burgers in my opinion… These look delicious, too bad I don’t have grill because I don’t have a balcony on my place otherwise I’d make it!

Jessica — April 19, 2012 @ 11:51 am

I want to bury myself right in the middle of those. Seriously.

P.S. Why do you take such pretty pictures?! Makin’ me hungry and I just had lunch!!

Bertie's Bakery — April 19, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

I haven’t made anything by Pioneer Woman that hasn’t tasted amazing!!

Great photography as always!

Mary Oxendine — April 22, 2012 @ 7:30 am

Goodness! How delicious these look! I haven’t had breakfast yet and they look like a great breakfast food to me. I haven’t been making burgers lately, but these I gotta have! Thank you for this recipe!

Jackie — April 26, 2012 @ 6:25 am

These look really delicious!! I wish I had one now, I don’t care if it is still breakfast time..lol
    Jackie

Anne — June 6, 2012 @ 6:41 am

These sliders look incredibly delicious!!!

P.S. Love how you usually have a bottle of Samuel Adams in your photos…too funny!

1. Pingback: PW Wednesday’s: Mushroom Sliders with Fry Sauce » Table for Two

2. Pingback: Mushroom Sliders | Baked by Rachel

3. Pingback: Country Cleaver » Pioneer Woman Cooks Cookbook GIVEAWAY!

4. Pingback: Country Cleaver » PW Wednesday – Billie’s Italian Creme Cake

5. Pingback: Country Cleaver » PW Wednesday: The Finale

6. Pingback: Country Cleaver » Pasta with Asparagus and Poached Egg

7. Pingback: Country Cleaver PW Wednesday - Honey Plum Soy Chicken » Country Cleaver

8. Pingback: Mushroom and swiss cheese sliders

9. Pingback: The Novice Chef » Spicy Thai Beef Nachos

10. Pingback: The Ultimate Homemade Sliders Recipe Collection - MotivaNova - MotivaNova

11. Pingback: Country Cleaver PW Wednesday - Orange Sweet Rolls » Country Cleaver