Lemon Ginger Pudding

How old are you? Because I’m 26 and when I eat tapioca pudding, prunes and drink Ovaltine I feel like a geriatric. Or at least I’m told I am one by my best friend who clearly has not come around to the wonderful world of Old People Food. Tapioca pudding is fantastic, and anyone who doesn’t think so is now required to give this simple dessert a try.

It’s far to easy not to make, it’s creamy, dreamy, zesty and anything but old.

In a sauce pan stir together 3 tablespoons tapioca, 2 3/4 cup non-fat milk, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 egg (well beaten), 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tsp lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger.

Stir well and bring to a full rolling boil over the stove that can’t be stirred down.

Remove from eat, let cool for about 20 minutes, distribute into four to eight dishes and garnish with additional lemon zest and ginger slivers.

Eat whilst warm, like the old people do, or place in fridge for an hour until chilled.

To easy and delicious not to try. So slip on those Aerosoles, elastic waist slacks, yell at kids on your front yard and dig in.

Lemon Ginger Pudding

Tapioca pudding with a zesty twist.

Yield: 4-8 servings,

1/3 cup Sugar
3 Tablespoon dry Tapioca
2 3/4 cup Milk
1 egg, well beaten
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Lemon Zest
1 Tbsp Ginger, finely minced
Additional lemon zest and ginger slivers for garnish

In medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except lemon zest and ginger used for garnish.

Over medium-high heat, constantly stirring, bring the mixture to a full rolling boil that can't be stirred down. Ensure the mixture doesn't scorch on the bottom.

Remove from heat and allow to cook for at least 20 minutes, the pudding will thicken as it cools.

Distribute into dishes, serve warm with lemon and ginger garnish or chill for at least one hour until cold.

Adapted from Minute Tapioca standard recipe.

21 Responses to “Lemon Ginger Pudding”

Cassie — April 7, 2012 @ 1:00 am

You make me laugh. I can’t eat tapioca without thinking of my grandma. Love this pudding!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 7, 2012 @ 2:36 am

I don’t think of tapioca as geriatric, mainly because a lot of my friends ate that stuff when I was growing up, but prunes and Ovaltine definitely go in that category!

Gorgeous pudding. I just love the combination of lemon and ginger.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — April 7, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

This sounds amazing Megan! I too love prunes… although I’ll admit they do have a bad rap.

Charlie — April 7, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

Hi Megan:

Is this the consistency of jello pudding or is it thicker like a custard?

Thanks for sharing.

Charlie

• Megan replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 7:35 pm

Hi Charlie,
      I would say this is about half way in between the two consistencies. Not too runny, not too custardy. Hope that helps :)
      ~Megan

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — April 7, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

Love your zester! I’ve never seen one that does both the fancy shreds and the tiny zesting.

• Megan replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

Rachel, I got it from World Market. It was about $6 I think. If I find a link, I’ll send it your way :)

Charlie — April 7, 2012 @ 7:58 pm

Hi Megan:

It helps.

Charlie

Julia {The Roasted Root} — April 7, 2012 @ 11:04 pm

Hey, bring on the geriatric food tendencies, cause this recipe looks great! I never got over Ovaltine, either…never could leave that habit behind, it’s just way too good. Your tapioca recipe looks great and the gingery lemon flavor sounds refreshing and lovely. Hope you’re having a great weekend!

Denise@BeBetsy — April 8, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

What a cute presentation. Love your blog! Happy Holiday!
    Are you going to enter the Soup Off? Please!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — April 9, 2012 @ 2:26 am

I L-O-V-E tapioca! Granted, I turn 30 (read: ancient) in 6 days so that might have something to do with it.
    I’m imagining all these awesome flavors together and it sounds fab in my head ;)

Kelly — April 9, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

Ooo this looks amazing! Just wanted to let you know you won the Casey Wiegand large ad space giveaway on my blog, congrats!! Just email me at cook.skinny@gmail.com and I’ll get you all set up with Casey! :)

Sarah — April 9, 2012 @ 3:37 pm

Lemon and ginger are an amazing combination. I bet this tastes crazy good!

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — April 9, 2012 @ 6:02 pm

If this is Old People Food, then put me in a retirement home and dress me in polyester. I’m in.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — April 10, 2012 @ 1:26 am

I am not sure I have ever had tapioca. You make it look wonderful, so if that means I am old, then whatever!

val — April 11, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

Lemon/Ginger….what a great combo. You are amazing.

sarah — April 17, 2012 @ 2:20 am

This sounds so good, Megan. I love lemon and ginger together!

thelittleloaf — April 18, 2012 @ 5:53 am

What a beautiful post. I’m new to your blog and your recipes are lovely! I really like lemon and ginger together – such a bright, zingy combination!

Jen L | Tartine and Apron Strings — July 15, 2012 @ 8:54 pm

Hi, I got here from our Pinterest group board “For My Sweet Tooth.” I think you are a very talented baker / cook. I love the rustic and homey feel of your blog, much like a long-time friend! Hope to catch up with more of your stuff!

1. Pingback: Country Cleaver Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad with Raspberry Balsamic Dressing » Country Cleaver

2. Pingback: Country Cleaver Homemade White Chocolate and Vanilla Bean Pudding » Country Cleaver