Thin Mint Brownies

It’s that time of year where the sweet faced Girl Scouts stand out side every market in town, touting the their fare and exponentially increasing your waistline one box of delicious can’t-even-say-no cookies at a time.

The overwhelming pangs of guilt I feel as I pass by these girls and blatantly lie to them that I’ve already bought my boxes of cookies (as some sort of last ditch effort in the practice of self restraint) is just excruciating! Bless their hearts as they stand in the cold, just asking for your money so they can go to camp. I’ve felt that pain and longing for camp as a Brownie and Junior. Just 150 boxes more cookies…that was all I needed. (Clearly I’m still holding onto that pain, 13 years later.)

Well, instead of lying to the first group of Girl Scouts that I came across this year, I decided to give in immediately instead of prolonging the pressure and stress of saying “no” to their sad little faces. I bought two boxes. One Thin Mint, and one in Samoa.

Today I chose to incorporate a bunch of one of my favorite Girl Scout cookies – the Thin Mints – into a even chocolately endeavor with brownies. And top them with mint cream cheese whip. And then more chopped up Thin Mints.

You’re welcome.

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Combine 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate and 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate,  both chopped, into a medium metal bowl. Next cube one stick of butter. Toss ‘er in. Over a small sauce pan with water that is just barely simmering, place your bowl of chocolate and butter and stir until just melted. Set aside to cool.

In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 1/2 cup sugar. Whisk until light and fluffy. Next pour in melted chocolate and stir some more. Top it with 3 Tablespoons of cocoa powder.

I chose  Valrhona – it is the standard cocoa used at my favorite local cupcake shoppe – Trophy Cupcakes. Ever heard of them? If you’re ever in Seattle, you need to make a visit. They’ve been featured on Martha. MARTHA! If that woman says they’re good, trust it.

Once that was gingerly incorporated, the last thing needed was 1 cup of AP flour. Instead of whisking the flour in, I folded it in with a spatula. Once the flour was gently folded in, 10 chopped Thin Mints were added and we (I mean, I) was ready to rock!

Huck stood ever patiently by me hoping I’d accidentally flip some brownie goo his way. His efforts were not rewarded. These brownies were mine. Allll mine.

Into a foil-lined 8×8″ pan the mixture went and baked for 40 minutes. Bake it until there is just a slight crumb on a toothpick and you know you’re a rockstar.

While you’re baking these mint tinted beauties, break out one brick of cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon of mint extract and whip into submission with your mixer. And since it’s mint – it couldn’t hurt to add a tinge of green food coloring. Place this into a bowl and toss in fridge until ready to use.

Once your brownies are set and done, allow them to cool on a cooling rack for bout 2 hours. Try not to dig into them too early and scald your mouth. Guilty!! What? Don’t judge.

After they have cooled, slather them with minted cream cheese, and then top with an additional 10 chopped Thin Mints.

NOW you can devour them, without fear of scalding or guilt. Okay, maybe a little guilt. Just wear your stretchy pants and you’ll be fine.

I’m off to do 312 sit-ups in penance now… Good bye.

Thin Mint Brownies

Brownies with Thin Mints. Minted Cream Cheese topping. And more Thin Mints on top.

Yield: 12 −16

1 brick Cream Cheese
1 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Mint Extract
Green Food Coloring

Final Topping:
15 chopped Thin Mint Cookies

Preheat oven to 350. In heat resistent bowl, combine chopped chocolates and butter. Place over a double boiler with barely simmering water, stirring the chocolate and butter until they are both just melted. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
In large bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, vanilla, and sugar. Whisk in melted chocolate. Add in cocoa powder and combine. With rubber scraper fold in flour. Lastly, fold in 10 chopped Thin Mint Cookies.
Pour into a foil lined 8x8 inch baking pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Set on cooling rack to cool for 2 hours when done baking.

For Cream Cheese Topping:
In stand mixer, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, mint extract and green food coloring. Tint cream cheese to desired color. Place in bowl and refrigerate until ready to frost completely cooled brownies.

For Cookie Layer:
Roughly chop 15 Thin Mint Cookies.

Final Assembly:
Remove brownies from baking pan, and gently remove foil lining. Evenly spread tinted cream cheese mixture over the top. Gently press chopped Thin Mint cookie crumbles into the cream cheese mixture - just until they are fixed in place. Cut into 2x2 inch squares. Serve.

Adapted from America's Test Kitchen Brownies

Thin Mint Frosted Brownies - www.countrycleaver.com.jpg

31 Responses to “Thin Mint Brownies”

aarthi — March 8, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

Awesome Recipe Dear..Bookmarking it to try soon..

Aarthi

Cassie — March 8, 2012 @ 3:16 pm

Love, love, love thin mints. This could not be more perfect Megan!

Lauren — March 8, 2012 @ 3:25 pm

My life has been changed…

Kay — March 8, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

Chocolate and mint, what can possibly go wrong? The kids and adults at church will love me even more after making these for them. :) XOXO

Emily — March 8, 2012 @ 3:57 pm

These look so delicious! Such a great use for thin mints!!

Melissa Aronson Bihl — March 8, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

My mom’s favorite Girl Scout cookie of ALL TIME: Thin Mints. (To the tune of On Top of Old Smokey): On top of these brownies, all covered with love, I’ll make them with thin mints, and send them to mum…

Kathryn — March 8, 2012 @ 5:46 pm

There is so much deliciousness here, I don’t know what to do with myself!

Liz — March 8, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

Quit making delicious stuff that makes me cry because I don’t have the ingredients in the house!!!!!

surlykitchen — March 8, 2012 @ 6:42 pm

Oh these look divine. i can’t believe it’s girl scout cookie time already. i need to get out and find some to stock up.

i feel my stomach pouching out just drooling and imagining eating one of these.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean — March 8, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

i dieeeeeee….too bad that box of thin mints i bought is almost gone!

Karan — March 8, 2012 @ 8:47 pm

Oh my these sound so good. Must try. LOve chocolate and mint ,

Trader Joes Recipes — March 9, 2012 @ 12:08 am

Yummy I haven’t had any good brownies lately. Yours look amazing!

Julie @ Table for Two — March 9, 2012 @ 12:27 am

I want the entire pan delivered to my front door, please :) they look SO good! I’m obsessed with the thin mints. Oddly enough, I still haven’t gotten any! So angry. I just keep missin’ them. It’s funny cause I remember when I’d feel guilty and tried to avoid them, they were EVERYWHERE! Once I get my hands on some, I will be trying this creation :)

Carrie @Bakeaholic Mama — March 9, 2012 @ 2:18 am

Wow these look good!!! Great minds think alike, I did a similar thin mint brownie a couple weeks ago. I LOVE baking with thin mints!

mike @ TheCulinaryLens — March 9, 2012 @ 2:22 am

These look delicious but I could not have them anywhere near me the entire pan would be demolished in one sitting

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — March 9, 2012 @ 2:40 am

Um, HIGH FIVE gurrrrl! Thin Mints make the world a better place fo’ sure! Can’t wait to try this recipe!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 9, 2012 @ 5:25 am

Probably my favorite cookie… LIKE EVER, but in brownie form! Halleluja!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — March 9, 2012 @ 5:37 am

I’m right there with Laurie – I love thin mints and the visuals of all the different chocolates going into your thin mint brownie was enough to drive me bonkers. If I had all the ingredients here at my place, I’d be in serious risk of eating a whole batch. :)

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — March 9, 2012 @ 6:38 pm

I want the pretty green frosting by the spoonful…

Baking Serendipity — March 10, 2012 @ 5:01 am

I have such a soft spot for these cookies! Love them paired with brownies!

Miss Meghan @ scratch-made wife — March 10, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

We didn’t buy any Girl Scout cookies this year – to the husband’s dismay – so I told him last night, “When we get out of the store, I’ll give you a couple of dollars to get cookies.” (‘Cause you know the girls were right outside the door!) But they were packing up when we had finished shopping. He thought it was for the best. Ha. If we do end up getting some, these brownies look like they could be in our near future. OMG.

Deanna — March 10, 2012 @ 6:25 pm

I always buy Girl Scout cookies because I was a Girl Scout. Don’t make me do the pledge to prove it. But I worked sooo much harder to sell cookies than the girls by my store did. We had songs and skits and they just stand there, resting on their laurels.

mary — March 10, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

Oh my goodness – these are incredible – fabulous photos – I’m drooling!!
    mary x

steph — March 21, 2012 @ 5:51 am

FYI-salt isn’t in the ingredients list on your printable recipe

1. Pingback: February 8 - National Girl Scout Cookie Daymorgan haines

2. Pingback: It’s That Time of Year Again! | Mumzie and Me

3. Pingback: 25+ Girl Scout Cookie Recipes | A Night Owl Blog

4. Pingback: Girl Scout Cookie Recipes - Peace But Not Quiet

5. Pingback: Girl Scout Cookie Recipes

6. Pingback: 19 Favorite Dessert Recipes That You Have to Try - Style Motivation

7. Pingback: Country Cleaver Samoas No-Bake Cheesecake » Country Cleaver