Coconut Curd

If there were one food that I would fill a swimming pool with and happily bellyflop into – this would be it.

And that in itself is saying something, because we all know of my unabashedly full blown love affair with Nutella and Biscoff. This is like watching The Bachelor, and being at the Final Three. Who do you send packing, crying with mascara all down their face to the confessional cameras in the back of the limo, and who do you take for the final whirlwind love-fest adventure to some far off island in the Seychelles?

All three of these have incredible qualities.

I say this all while thinking it’s kinda like what all the guys of The Bachelor say to the girls before they dump their weepy asses outside the door of a Hollywood Hills mansion with flood lights and cameras for us to sit there and watch with voracious appetites for tears, hanging on the edge of our seats. Sorry – do you think I have issues with the Bachelor? I just can’t get into this season. At all. But that’s another story.

In all honesty – the beauties of all three of these spreads just shine. Nutella for the obvious reason that it is loaded with cocoa. Biscoff because it’s like the girl who’s somewhat mysterious and you can’t quite figure her out, but dang is she just incredible.

And now – enter Coconut Curd. Sweet, but not too sweet. Creamy, silky and something you want to take your time and enjoy but at the same time all you want to do is make out with it like your life depended on it.

So, go make this silky beauty for yourself and host your own little “Bachelor” – and see which one comes out on top.

Begin with two whole eggs and two egg whites, setting aside.

Resource yourself a can of coconut milk, shake vigorously and then pour off 3/4 of a cup.

Into a mixing bowl, beat together 1/2 cup unsalted butter and 1 cup sugar. Whip it until it’s sufficiently creamed together and becomes fluffy.

Then add in the eggs, one at a time, beating until light and fluffy in between each addition. Lastly, add in the coconut milk.

Add the whole mixture to a heavy bottom pot, or in my case a mock-double boiler. I set a metal mixing bowl over my deep pot filled with about 1 cup of water.

Because I’m a rebel – I added 1/4 of a vanilla bean to the mixture when I put it in the pot to cook. The bean was halved, scraped of it’s caviar and it was all added to the egg/cream mix in the pot. Once cooked the bean portion was removed.

So – over the double boiler it went and was whisked until it reached about 170 degrees and became thick.

I prefer a double boiler because it is a tad more forgiving than just over my notoriously unpredictable range. Do whatever works best for you.

Then, once it was heated, thickened and causing me to drool uncontrollably like a dog listening to a bell, it was removed from the heat and placed in the fridge to cool. Once it’s cool, it’s time to take a big dollop on a spoon and taste it for yourself.  Be greedy. It’s allowed.

Use within a week, putting on a biscuit or spreading between the layers of a cake. Or really – just devour it with a spoon. Foregoing your lady-like qualities is acceptable in this instance. Nay, a requirement.

Now – get to it.

Coconut Curd

Creamy, silky and not to sweet. This is perfect on a biscuit or between cake layers!

Yield: 16 oz.

Prep Time: 10 Mintes

1/2 cup Butter, unsalted and room temperature
1 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Coconut Milk
2 whole Eggs
2 Egg Whites
1/4 Vanilla Bean, halved and scraped

In a mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in one egg at a time, allowing to mix completely before beating in another egg. Beat in coconut milk until incorporated.

Over medium heat, in a heavy bottom pot or a double boiler, stir cream/egg/coconut mixture. Add in vanilla bean caviar and vanilla bean husk. Stir mixture frequently until temperature reaches approximately 170 degrees and the mixture begins to thicken. Approximately 10 minutes.

Pour into bowl and let cool in fridge. When cool, place in air tight container and use within a week. Dollop on biscuits, fill cupcakes or spread between layers of cake. Or devour with a spoon.

Adapted from Bell'alimento's Lemon Curd

Homemade Coconut Curd - www.countrycleaver.com

47 Responses to “Coconut Curd”

NanaBread (Jeanne) — February 12, 2012 @ 4:07 am

I feel a little light-headed just reading this and looking at that photo. I think I’ma hafta sit down for a little bit and fan myself. You just don’t even know how much I love coconut. I just… I mean… (breathe, just breathe – deep, slow breaths) I’m sorry, Megan. I’m going to have to just sit and stare at this for a minute and try to collect my thoughts. I need a tissue.

Kirsten — February 12, 2012 @ 6:42 am

Here I’ve spent my entire life thinking that lemon curd would be my one true love, and then BAM! You go and unleash coconut curd on me. This has Sunday Breakfast written all over it. Seriously. Eggs and Butter are on the counter and everything.

Anna — February 12, 2012 @ 8:51 am

Haha! Funny analogy!
    I was making Orange Curd and Grapefruit Curd yesterday, (see post tomo on my blog), but seriously, Coconut Curd sounds Divine! A must try!! Thanks :)

Kathryn — February 12, 2012 @ 11:08 am

I have never seen a coconut curd before but it sounds like an absolute stroke of genius!

surlykitchen — February 12, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

mmm. i love coconut. would this work with a carton of coconut milk? i buy cartons of if and drink it in my coffee.

• Megan replied: — February 12th, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

I think coconut milk would work… Or coconut yogurt might do too. It’s always worth a shot – let me know if it turns out :)

Nelly Rodriguez — February 12, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

This looks and sounds amazing!

Rina@Itheecook — February 12, 2012 @ 6:26 pm

Love this! I am imagining it between layer cake. Heaven :)

Liam @ "Is butter a carb?" — February 13, 2012 @ 12:57 am

Coconut.. curd…

I’m not sure what it is exactly but sign me up! :D

Kat — February 13, 2012 @ 2:29 am

Bookmarked. I’m either having amnesia or a crisis of over-confidence, because though I have never Attempted Curd, my deep and abiding love of coconut makes me want to make this happen in the home. I can’t say that it will happen before March, but you have gotten the wheels turning, lady. I even have the tiny spoons to eat it from the jar with.

Ann — February 13, 2012 @ 3:07 am

Okay, this is just plain ol’ cool! I’m a fan of lemon curd, but I’ve never heard of coconut curd! I haven’t watched the bachelor, but my sister is a fan, so I know what you’re talking about! ….weepy mascara! BWahahaha!

• Megan replied: — February 13th, 2012 @ 4:42 am

I hope you make this and let me know what you think! I laughed the whole time I was writing about The Bachelor and the dripping mascara. I love humanizing dessert spreads – they’ve got such great character hahah ~Megan

DessertForTwo — February 13, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

This looks SOOO good! :)

Ok, we are straight-up addicted to the Bachelor. And we’re not really the reality tv types, but we are hooked! The Mr is out of town for work and missed last week’s episode and will miss tonight’s episode too. It is taking all my strength not to watch it while he’s gone on the dvr!!

Happy Monday, dollface! :)

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — February 13, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

This looks great! Plus, your pictures are beautiful!

Mary — February 13, 2012 @ 9:24 pm

Wow! I would belly flop with you into a pool of this! Pure deliciousness – I’ve never heard of coconut curd before but it sounds fantastic!
    mary x

Kim Bee — February 14, 2012 @ 12:46 am

Megan I love you. I give you this rose. Please bring the curd with you on the honeymoon.

Totally making this tomorrow. Not sure about making out with it. I’ll let you know. Or post it on youtube. Peace out!

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles — February 14, 2012 @ 4:32 pm

Very original. I have never heard of such a thing. But I have a hunch I would like it very much. Divine.

Happy Valentines Day!

val — February 14, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

Oh My Gosh!! Coconut Curd? I think I have been transported to HEAVEN!!!

Isabelle @ Crumb — February 14, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

Oh my. I’m half-tempted to find an excuse to pack up and go home for the rest of the day, just so I can make a batch of this gorgeousness right. freakin’. NOW. I think lemon curd may just have been replaced in my affections.

Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out — February 14, 2012 @ 8:07 pm

As I read this, I find myself wishing my boyfriend liked coconut more so I could scrap the apple pie I had planned for Valentine’s tonight and do something with this. Then again, my mother’s birthday is fast approaching, so perhaps that will be the perfect opportunity to bombard my tastebuds with this beauty. I can hardly wait!

Carrie @Bakeaholic Mama — February 14, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

Megan,
    This is so genius never in a million years would I have thought to make a coconut curd. I have have have to make this.

sarah — February 15, 2012 @ 4:31 am

This looks so good. I’ve been daydreaming about cakes to use it in.

Meredith — February 15, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

THIS LOOKS INCREDIBLE. I cannot wait to try this out. Thank you so much for making my entire day!

Lauren — February 15, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

I could eat it all with a spoon. Mmmmm….

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 15, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

Megan, your coconut curd looks perfect! What a fun thing to make, and so versatile too. I’ve got to try it soon. Thanks for sharing! You have a beautiful blog and I’m glad to have found it.

Maureen — February 16, 2012 @ 6:39 am

Wow.. this sounds wonderful. I can see it stuffed between the layers of a cake and me hoping nobody comes to visit so I can eat it all by myself.

Miss Meghan @ scratch-made wife — February 16, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

This is new to me! I think plopping it on top of a biscuit sounds amazing. How about a waffle, though? And what if you mixed in a little Nutella while you’re at it? OK, maybe that’s just crazy. Or maybe not. That coconut curd just looks so creamy and delicious!

Margarita — February 16, 2012 @ 11:21 pm

This coconut curd looks like heaven. I love the beautiful yellow color. I bet this is so good!

Mixtapes and Mash — February 18, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

Wow. I’m in love, this sounds and looks absolutely amazing. What a fantastic idea.

sherrysue — February 23, 2012 @ 3:57 pm

Im thinking coconut/pineapple curd for a Pina-Colada taste? Would be perfet for our Jimmy Buffet tailgate party this summer.

Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} — February 24, 2012 @ 2:22 pm

This is genius Meagan! I knew I had to check it our since I saw it on Instagram. I’m a little late but better late than never!
    I love anything coconut and although I should stay away from the egg yolks I’m still considering making just a tiny bit. I have to have some!

Jackie — March 12, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

I love anything, I mean anything with coconut!! These curd has me salivating!! I’m making it!! I’m also adding you to my blogroll. Thought I had, I just love your blog!!
    Jackie

Angela — April 24, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

your curd looks delicious! i included one of your pictures in a blog i wrote about curd. i linked it back to this post and gave you credit. here’s the link – http://wp.me/1cn3Q

• Megan replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 7:13 am

Angela,
      Thank you so much for letting me know about the curd! I hope you make it and enjoy it as much as I have. I loved your post on lemon curd. It’s the next wonder of the food world! :) Have a great day! ~Megan

S — May 8, 2012 @ 5:21 pm

Thank you! This was delicious. I messed up and used a whole can of coconut milk (13.5 oz), and I accidentally let the mixture boil. It still turned out great! It curdled a little because of the heat, but I blended it and that made it smooth again. I ate a ton of it right out of the pot (and blender)!

Elizabeth — September 10, 2012 @ 10:45 am

Can you can this in a hot water bath canner? I would like to make several batches & I am not finding any info on actually canning it.
    Thanks:-)

• Megan replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 11:20 am

Elizabeth – Yes, I have heard you can water bath the curd to can it. But it is not always recommended. I would search the internet and find a few additional resources, just in case. I’m not an expert canner and would hate to give you bad advice on something as important as canning :)

MelissaI — June 24, 2013 @ 5:08 pm

I am making your ombre rose cake for my daughter’s first birthday. I am so excited to tackle this project, I fell in love with this cake & have known for months that this was “the cake.” I followed this link to the coconut curd…so if I’m making the lemon curd all I do is replace the 3/4 cup coconut milk with 3/4 cup lemon juice? And will it only take 1 recipe of the curd to do the layered ombre cake?

• Megan replied: — June 24th, 2013 @ 8:13 pm

Hi Melissa! I would make two batches of the lemon curd. Just to be sure.

I have a recipe for Lime Curd on the blog as well, I would follow that recipe. Just to make sure the liquid content translates the same. Happy baking! Please post or tweet photos – I would love to see the finished results of the cake!
      Megan

Rebecca — July 21, 2013 @ 3:50 am

Thank you for making my life complete. Oh the things I can do with coconut curd. My hubby likes coconut flavor, but doesn’t like texture. This is going to make me one happy camper. My mind is swimming in ideas for this. Happiness!

• Megan replied: — July 22nd, 2013 @ 9:06 am

I hope your hunny likes the coconut curd!! I love that stuff, too.I eat it with a spoon, I’m not above it. :)

Seolyk — September 16, 2013 @ 3:04 pm

I’m confused, why beat the butter and eggs and sugar together? Most fruit curd recipes put half the sugar in the juice and half in the eggs to make sure the eggs don’t curdle when you temper them into the liquid. The creaming is completely unnecessary o_O

Denise — January 10, 2014 @ 12:11 pm

Can this recipe be canned like jam/jellies?

• Megan replied: — January 10th, 2014 @ 12:15 pm

I’m not sure if this can be canned or not. In my house this doesn’t last long to begin with so I’d eat it right away!

1. Pingback: More Than the Adversity That Makes it Memorable: Coconut Meyer Lemon Meringue Cake | Comfortably Domestic

2. Pingback: The Vanilla Bean Blog | blood orange curd