Biscoff Tiramisu

It still remains to be seen if my adoration and all out obsession with Biscoff will ever end. And after this recipe, it doesn’t seem likely that that will ever happen. These cookies have become inexplicably linked to my soul.

When I stopped by my local World Market the cookies were on sale, so of course I had to pick up the necessary 2 for $6. Why would I pay an extra 5o cents for each package when I all knew in my soul of souls that two packages would be put to dang fine use. There is no need to strain the truth with you. I decided itt was good and so it must be done.

Once an additional jar of Biscoff was put into my cart (shhh, don’t tell Ben) I checked out with a mission in mind. Make a tiramisu with Biscoff cookies.

Initially, I had high hopes of making Biscoff ladyfingers but alas their puffiness was severely hampered. Dang you egg whites, how you flummox me! I suppose I could say they were edible a total loss.  Still spongy, sweet though lacking all height and poof, I decided waste was not wanted and added them into the mix anyway. I’m nothing if not cheap resourceful.

So – there are two ways to go about this. Use traditional ladyfingers – or go the end route I did – and just use Biscoff cookies. There’s not shame in cheating. Delicious, delicious cheating.

Just in case you’re terribly interested, I’ll shed the light on my ladyfinger debacle. But if it’s of no interest to you, that’s alright – I’m thick skinned enough to know you still heart me (you do still heart me, right?!).

After unleashing my lack of willpower onto a semi-suspecting bag of Biscoff cookies, 15 of them were placed into my food processor and blended until powder. (The rest were shoved into my wide open mouth.)

Four ounces of egg whites and a quarter cup of sugar were whisked until soft peaks formed. The same was done with the remaining egg yolks and 1/4 cup of sugar. Softy peaks don’t form with the egg yolks, but they sure to take on a lovely buttercup yellow when whisked with sugar.

Into the eggs and sugar went a teaspoon of vanilla and it was set aside. And into the last small bowl, went 3/4 cup of biscoff powder, 1/4 of flour, and baking powder. Once the dry ingredients were stirred together, the mix was folded into the egg yolks. Then mix the yolks/powder mixture into the egg whites. Pipe them out onto two parchment or Silpat lined baking sheets and bake for 7 minutes. Let them rest for 1 minute and remove to cooling rack.

I went wrong with my egg whites and patience. We never get along. My patience and my egg whites.  Despite mine going flat, I know my patience would be properly rewarded. And hey – they still tasted like spicy biscoff cookies. Just a Biscoff cookie of a sponge variety. If you’d like the original version of the cookies – visit Krissy’s Creations.

For the custard portion of the tiramisu, 5 egg yolks, 1/4 cup of sugar, and 1/3 cup of whiskey were heated over a double boiler until a custard formed. It was swiftly placed in the fridge to cool.

One cup of heavy whipping cream was poured into the Kitchen Aid and whipped until perfectly fluffy and slightly sweetened with 4 tablepsoons of baker’s sugar. To the whipped cream I added 16 ounces of room temperature whipped cream cheese instead of the traditional mascarpone.

Two reasons for the switch. I didn’t have mascarpone and I was to lazy to go out and get any. It made for a good switch. Not wimpy and with a certain tang. It was a perfect substitution in my book.

To the whipped cream, I added the cream cheese, whiskey egg custard and 3/4 cup of Biscoff spread. The mixture was folded in until all evenly distributed and then we were ready for business!

Into my 9×9 baking pan, I laid the ladyfingers out along the bottom. Topped them with a tablespoon of coffee each, spread out a hefty dollop of Biscoff/Cream Cheese/Custard mixture and layered it again with more ladyfingers. I ran out halfway through my second layer and just used the remaining 2nd package of Biscoff cookies as my next layer. It was a delightful and decadent accident.

Lather, rinse, repeat and I was nearly done. Instead of the traditional espresso and cocoa powder, I topped the dish with crumbles of Biscoff cookies. Unfortunate alternative. Not.  Into the fridge it went to set, soak up and meld and we were ready for nomming.

With a few mistakes and my determination unsullied – I dug in. Not gonna lie, taking pictures was terribly difficult. Because there was a fork right there and I had to wait an additional five minutes to eat it.  But alas, it was good. Really. Good.

Biscoff Tiramisu

Prep Time: 1 Hour

Cook Time: 30 Minutes + 3 Hours Rest Time

Total Time: 5 Hours

2 Packages Biscoff Cookies (50 Cookies)
5 Egg Yolks
1/4 cup + 4 Tbsp Baker's Sugar
1/3 Cup Whiskey
1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Pound Whipped Cream Cheese, room temp
3/4 cup Biscoff Spread
3/4 cup Strong Coffee
1 teaspoon Vanilla

Into a double boiler, bring 1 cup of water to a heavy simmer. Place egg yolks, 1/4 cup baker's sugar, vanilla and whiskey into the bowl of the double boiler. Whisk together until smooth. Whisk until custard begins to form and mixture stiffens. About five minutes. Remove from heat and cover with plastic wrap. Place in fridge to cool. About 30-45 minutes.

Into a stand mixer, beat cream cheese until light and softened. Add in Biscoff spread and beat until mixed in. Next, beat in cooled egg custard mixture. Scrape down bowl occasionally to ensure mixture is evenly distributed. Scrape mixture into bowl and set aside momentarily.

Into stand mixer's bowl, using the whisk attachment, whisk whipping cream until medium peaks form. While whisking slowly add in 4 tablespoons of baker's sugar to sweeten the whipped cream. Remove bowl from mixer, and fold in cream cheese/Biscoff mixture until just incorporated.

Into the bottom of a 9x9 inch pan, lay out one layer of Biscoff cookies. Top each cookie with about 1 teaspoon of strong coffee. Top layer of cookies with cream mixture. Repeat another layer of cookies, topped with coffee, and then cream.

In food processor, pulse about 10 Biscoff cookies until they become granulated and almost powdery.

To the top layer of cream, evenly power Biscoff Cookie crumbs. Place in fridge for 2-3 hours to let tiramisu meld. Slice and serve.

*Note* Does not hold up for longer than 24-36 hours.

Biscoff Tiramisu with Whiskey Fluff

26 Responses to “Biscoff Tiramisu”

Sarah — February 28, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

This looks so delicious, I’m impressed at your waiting to eat it while you took pictures! Pretty sure I would have HAD to have a bite…

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — February 28, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

I’m most upset about my ruined trip to Seattle this week not because of the space needle cocktail hour, roaming around Pike’s Market or any of the other fun things in the actual city, but because I missed my opportunity at biscoff cookies on Delta.
    I would’ve used the un-poofed lady fingers too. No need to waste ‘em!

Kathryn — February 28, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

What an ace idea, I love that you used biscoff here to give a completely different flavour experience!

Liz — February 28, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

The Italian in me can’t decide if this is blasphemy or a fantastic idea. The pregnant woman in me is crying because the closest World Market is almost 2 hours away. The skinny girl in me is glad of the distance LOL!

Carrie @Bakeaholic Mama — February 28, 2012 @ 6:46 pm

Seriously the most genius recipe I’ve seen all week. I’m a little scared to make it because I kind of have no self control when there is Biscoff in the house.

Julie @ Table for Two — February 28, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

This is genius. You are genius. And I will gladly trade you buffalo mac n cheese for a huge slice of this!! Promise me we will make this together when we hang out :)

Cassie — February 28, 2012 @ 7:28 pm

I want this. I need this. You are my hero!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — February 28, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

Oh geez, this looks so delicious!

Meredith — February 28, 2012 @ 10:56 pm

I did not know World Market cold biscoff cookies! They are the only reason I fly Delta. This tiramisu is ingenious!

Tracy — February 28, 2012 @ 11:53 pm

Oh my goodness, I’m swooning. Must make this immediately!!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — February 29, 2012 @ 12:58 am

I’ll take a whole pan AND that bottle of whiskey and call it a night thank you very much! <3

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College — February 29, 2012 @ 1:25 am

Oh lord have mercy Megan…this looks incredible!

I can’t even think of the right words to say haha…yum!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — February 29, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

Ha! You specify that this doesn’t hold up longer than 24-36 hours – this wouldn’t last more than 8 hours in my kitchen. It would all be in my tummy. I think there may be crack in Biscoff. That would explain it all.

aarthi — February 29, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

This looks absolutely yummy..I should try this soon…Bookmarking this one..

Aarthi

Mads — February 29, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

I adore Biscoff cookies! I always ask for a handful when I fly Delta. haha
    This looks way better than in-flight cookies though.

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — February 29, 2012 @ 9:56 pm

Hmmm….I wonder what I will be doing this evening! Damn you’re good!

Steve @ the black peppercorn — March 1, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

I have never made tiramisu for a while. This looks great and the biscoff would go great with it!

Melissa // thefauxmartha — March 1, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

You are a miracle worker. This is every woman’s dream!

Anna @ hiddenponies — March 3, 2012 @ 12:48 am

Wowowowow! Those cookies were indeed put to good use :)

Tonia — March 3, 2012 @ 2:09 am

WHAT IS BISCOFF???!???? Sorry about the screaming, but I’m seeing this stuff everywhere on the ‘net and can’t find out what it is! Seeing some interesting recipes, but don’t think I’ve ever seen any biscoff in my area. Thanks for any info you can give me. :-)

• Megan replied: — March 5th, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

hahah No worries, Tonia. This stuff is kinda insane. It’s a spread (peanut butter consistency) made out of Biscoff Cookies!! I know, right? Jaw dropping. It’s freakin’ amazing stuff. I practically just eat it with a spoon. It’s difficulty to make recipes with it – because you usually can’t keep it around long enough to cook with it hahah

Tina @ my lifeasamrs — March 6, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

holy. genius. This looks amazing!

waka network — April 17, 2012 @ 10:56 pm

Looks so fresh and full of flavors!

Wendy — March 25, 2013 @ 5:15 pm

This is a fantastic idea! I am so in love with the flavor of biscoff and I think it is a perfect choice for tiramisu!

1. Pingback: Country Cleaver » Biscoff Cookie Truffles and Biscoff Giveaway!

2. Pingback: Pepper Lynn | Things That Make Me Go “Mmmm”