Nutella Pecan Pie for Pie Week!

Nutella Pecan Pie - www.countrycleaver.com*Set Scene* Jeopardy stage, nervous contestants vying for thousands of dollars in prizes, and McSmartypants Trebek calls out…
Answer for $1,000. – Carbs, sugar and awesomeness.
*ring ring*
Question: What is Pie Week?
Correct!

This week, a group of bloggers set out on an adventure. An adventure in pie crusts, fillings and impending holiday spirit. But really we’ll find any reason to make a pie.
We lust for pie. True story.
Over the course of this week, you’ve met some of my closest blogging buddies:
Inside NanaBread’s Head with her Banana’s Foster Fried Pies
Really, Jeanne? Really?
Kat of Tenaciously Yours first Pumpkin Pie
You’re hooked on pies now aren’t ya, kid?

Mads of La Petite Pancake with her Snozberry Pie
I have an insane urge to go lick some wall paper Willy Wonka-style right now…

and our fearless leader Kirsten of Comfortably Domestic with her Apple Tart with Cheddar Strudel.
Don’t knock the combo ’til you try it. Firm believer, right here.

They are what dreams are made of – the bloggers and the pies. But today I wanted to share with you my  utterly sinful and ridiculously rich Nutella Pecan Pie. My love for Nutella is the worst kept secret in the world. Honestly, it’s a miracle that the jar in my house was still intact. I’m not above eating this stuff out of the jar with a spoon. And no, I don’t feel bad about it.
Pecan Pie is the equivalent of what Red Velvet is to cake. It’s really wonderful, decadent and everyone loves it, but for reasons that you can’t quite explain. They’re the elusive monsters of the cake/pie worlds, you love them, but just can’t put a finger on what makes people go ga-ga… So for me, this pie was an adventure into the unknown and uncharted world of pecan pies and what makes simply irresistible. (Yes, I wrote that and did a little jig at the same time. Child of the 80′s here!)
But I didn’t want to settle with JUST a pecan pie, no. I added a half a jar of Nutella to it.
For this pie week, our common thread was the use of Kirsten’s Pie Crust. Flour, butter, salt, water – Go.
Pie crusts and I notoriously don’t get along. But she assured us all this pie crust is one for the ages. Aunt Paula Deen would be proud. And you know what, this was quite amazing. My biggest worry about it was whether or not my dinky but oh so loved 3-cup food processor could handle the job.
So I divvied the pie crust recipe into two and made one crust at a time. And it was a dream.
Flour and salt – pulse to mix.
Add butter – pulse until pea sized beads form.
Add water and hang on to your hats!
Viola – Le Pie Crust! Beautiful. Maybe there was hope for me and pie crusts after all.
Next up was to pre-bake the crust in my pie pan after it had been chilled. With the innards of a pecan pie being so gooey, the crust had a jump start on developing a nice golden brown color and flakey crust.
With a bit of pie crust left over, I punched out some little maple leaves to decorate the edges. The cookie cutters were on sale, and now I finally had a chance to put them to work! After it was all pretty and par-baked it was time to get down to business.
With my remaining half jar of Nutella, I smeared it into the bottom of the pie crust.  It was about a half cup of gloriousness into the bottom. Not too much to overpower the pecan, but enough to take it up a notch. Bam.
For the rest of the pecan mixture, I combined three tablespoon of butter into a metal bowl set into a skillet full of water. The purpose of this is to help temper the ingredients, especially the eggs without scalding them into a sad and inedible oblivion. Thank ATK for the knowledge bomb.
Once the butter, sugar and salt are combined place the bowl back into the water bath.
Whisk in remaining ingredients (except pecans) and stir over heated water until the temperature of the mixture reaches 130 degrees. You don’t want your water bath to boil, just sit below a simmer.
(Okay, the nails – sorry. It’s college football time and I’m represenin’ my WSU Cougars with a Crimson nail and Grey (read: silver) Crackle top coat. I’m a lefty, so painting with my right had is notoriously hideous.)
Once the mixture reached the required 130, it was taken off the heat, pecans were whisked in and the whole kit and caboodle was poured atop the Nutella into the pre-baked crust.
At this point the loving mutt was just staring at me waiting for something to drop, and dinner.
With the oven temp reduced to 275 degrees, the pie was baked for 55 minutes. And when it came out of there,
angels sang. The crust was golden brown and flakey, and the insides were a mixture of chocolate and awesomeness. True story.
So there you have it. A Nutella Pecan Pie that it will be difficult not to hoard. Now, go forth and share the love.
Tune in tomorrow with Alison from Decadent Philistines for her savory Mushroom and Wine Pie. I need me some of that!

“Come join Love the Pie with TidyMom  sponsored by Cherokee USALe CreusetWilton,Bags by Bloom and  Harvard Common Press

36 Responses to “Nutella Pecan Pie for Pie Week!”

Bravoe Runway — November 11, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

This looks amazing…and yes I need those elastic waist stretch pants ASAP!

Lauren's Latest — November 11, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

I think I just died.

The Slow Roasted Italian — November 11, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

I think this is my first time on your blog. I am pretty sure I would remember, you are pretty flippin' funny. ; )

I am your newest fan on FB. Your pie looks amazing!

Kat — November 11, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

FIEND. At first I thought that the Nutella-Pecan combination was genius. But when you set those leaves loose on the edge of the crust?

Who are you, woman?!

Aarthi — November 11, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

WOW..This looks awesome..Yummy

Do visit my blog too

Mary — November 11, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

If you keep making pies like this my family will follow you anywhere. I'm new to your blog and just spent some extra time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back, I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

Mads — November 11, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

If a recipe calls for 1/2 a jar of Nutella, I'M DOING IT! My dad would probably go bananas for this too…I smell an awesome Christmas present. Yay!

Danielle — November 11, 2011 @ 7:13 pm

Whoa!! Anything with Nutella gets my vote but when you combine it with my favorite pie, well girl–you got me! This is my first visit to your blog…love it! Thanks for the fantastic ideas and recipes. I'm a new blogger and all you pros are my inspiration!

Muriel Miller — November 11, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

Ok Megan seriously! This pie sounds absolutely divine! I may just be making this for thanksgiving! Your photos are beautiful as always girl :)

comfortablydomestic.com — November 11, 2011 @ 8:21 pm

You took and insidiously common pecan pie and blew the roof off it with the Nutella. Then, as if that wasn't enough, you went ahead with the leaf cutouts around the edge. THAT, Megan, is *exactly* why you are the Queen Bee of Pie Week.

Paula — November 11, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

Beautiful looking crust and a decadent looking pecan pie. Great idea to add the Nutella, really great ;)

Lauren Grier — November 11, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

What a gorgeous looking pie! YUM!!

scratch-made wife — November 12, 2011 @ 1:06 am

Can you believe I've never had a pecan pie? There's really no reason for it. I'm all for trying one, and I'd really love to try this version with Nutella! Oh. Em. Gee. I had a pie crust accident last week – really don't know what happened, but it was an epic failure. I should probably try to redeem myself before Thanksgiving.

Dzoli — November 12, 2011 @ 7:37 am

What to say but thank you;) Such a yummy cake;) Love pecans and all nuts as the matter of fact:)

Anna — November 12, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

Oh dear.. Nutella will be the death of me, I swear! I must try this pie!!

Mary — November 14, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Pecan pie is not one of my favorites most of the time, but this sounds divine. Nice job!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — November 14, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

DARRRRN totally wish I thought of this! ;) This is so getting made and soon! Great recipe Megan! X to the O!

NanaBread (Jeanne) — November 14, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

I love how inspired our Pie Week has become. Nutella in a pecan pie? Genius! Now I'm wondering what my Banana Fried Pies would taste like with Nutella instead of caramel. Only one way to find out…

Amber, RD — November 14, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

This sounds sooo good! I love the leaf shapes on the crust. Very cute!

livlovelaugh — December 1, 2011 @ 1:30 am

Everything is better with nutella. Like fingers, and spoons too. ;)

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — March 14, 2012 @ 3:37 pm

mmm…pie! Looks beautiful.

Stephanie@PlainChicken.com — November 13, 2012 @ 7:08 am

OMG- DELICIOUS!

Anna — February 5, 2013 @ 10:54 am

I don’t understand.. -You had a REMAINING half jar of Nutella in the cupboard??

1. Pingback: Best recipes of Helen’s Cooking friends on Facebook | Helen's Cooking Blog, Easy recipes and meal ideas.

2. Pingback: Country Cleaver » Coconut Curd

3. Pingback: Country Cleaver » Blueberry Crumble Galette

4. Pingback: Country Cleaver » Cocktail Week Kick Off & KitchenAid Giveaway

5. Pingback: Nutella Stuffed Muffins

6. Pingback: Country Cleaver » Wrapped Baked Apple Crumble

7. Pingback: Country Cleaver » Irish Cream and Chocolate Silk Pie

8. Pingback: Country Cleaver » Cranberry Dutch Apple Pie

9. Pingback: Nutella Pecan Pie Bars | The Spiffy Cookie

10. Pingback: Peanut Pie | cinnamon freud

11. Pingback: about Peanut Pie | food

12. Pingback: Country Cleaver How To Make Pie Crust » Country Cleaver

13. Pingback: Thanksgiving Desserts Round Up | Crunchy Creamy SweetCrunchy Creamy Sweet